XLVII.—THE GEORGE, BROADWAY (Demolished)
This inn has now been demolished. It was, despite a modernised
front, an ancient building with two parallel tiled roofs. Originally it was
called the White Horse, as appears from the entries in the Court Rolls. On
17th April, 1775, John Scott (fn. 1) surrenders "The White Horse now called the
George in the Town Street and the adjoining building." Montague Grover
was admitted and held the property until 1779, and in his surrender a passage
"reserved as a highway" is mentioned under the next building (to the east),
and this still exists. When the Sussex Arms, a modern building on the west
of the George, was demolished, the twin gables of the latter were disclosed.
The George Inn was subject to an annual charge of 30s., left by
will to the poor by Nicholas Dauncer in 1656, and of 10s. for an annual
sermon, "to be paid out of the profits of the house in Hammersmith called
by the name of the White Horse." (fn. 2)
In the Council's ms. collection are:
The George, and the Sussex Arms (photograph).
The George (photograph).
* The George, after demolition of Sussex Arms (photograph).
Another view of the same (photograph).
|| According to Faulkner (History and Antiquities of . . . Hammersmith, p. 257) the records
of the adjoining meeting house contain an entry, dated 1st January, 1770, recording a declaration
by John Scott that he had no demands on the meeting house and that he had a copy of its deeds.
|| Endowed Charities (County of London), IV., p. 361.