Survey of London: volume 23 - Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall

Year published

1951

Author

Sir Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (editors)

Description

Published to coincide with the Festival of Britain Exhibition of 1951, this volume covers the northern, riverside portion of Lambeth, between Waterloo and Vauxhall Bridges. As well as giving the history of the Festival site itself, the book focuses on the venerable buildings and monuments then scattered among the mostly nineteenth-century houses, dwellings and factories. Chief of these is the Archbishop of Canterbury’s residence, Lambeth Palace, which is described and illustrated in detail. Other buildings covered include the Church of St John, Waterloo Road, and some of the eighteenth-century terrace-houses in Kennington Road and Lambeth Road.

Sponsor

English Heritage

Source

Survey of London (Secondary texts)

Places

Subjects

Periods

Showing records 101 - 150 of 170

101
57-58
102
59
103
60
104
61
105
62
106
63
107
64
108
65
109
66
110
67
111
68
112
69
113
70
114
71
115
72
116
73
117
74
118
75
119
76
120
77
121
78
122
79
123
80
124
81
125
82
126
83
127
84
128
85
129
86
130
87
131
88
132
89
133
90
134
91
135
92
136
93
137
94
138
95
139
96
140
97
141
98
142
99
143
100
144
101
145
102
146
103
147
104
148
105
149
106
150
107
  1 2 3 4