Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44 - Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs

Year published

1994

Author

Hermione Hobhouse (General Editor)

Description

The dockland parish of All Saints’, Poplar, encompasses the ancient hamlet of Poplar itself, the old shipbuilding centre of Blackwall, and the former industrial districts of Millwall and Cubitt Town. Poplar’s story is one of development and redevelopment on both the grand and the comparatively small scale, driven in the nineteenth century by mercantile interests and manufacturing, and after the Second World War by de-industrialization and the obsolescence of the Thames-side docks. The East and West India and Millwall Docks system is discussed in detail, together with the riverside wharves and works, and the massive regeneration, still in progress, which followed the creation of the Isle of Dogs Enterprise Zone in 1982. Among important individual buildings described is the seventeenth-century church of St Matthias, a rarity from the Interregnum, built for the East India Company. A major subject is public housing, which includes the famous Lansbury Estate, built in association with the 1951 Festival of Britain.

Sponsor

English Heritage

Source

Survey of London (Secondary texts)

Places

Subjects

Periods

Showing records 51 - 100 of 257

51
388-397
52
397-406
53
406-408
54
409-411
55
412-418
56
418-423
57
423-433
58
433-445
59
446-451
60
452-462
61
462-466
62
466-480
63
480-489
64
489-494
65
495-497
66
498-514
67
514-518
68
518-528
69
528-532
70
532-539
71
539-547
72
548-552
73
553-565
74
565-574
75
575-582
76
582-585
77
585-592
78
593-600
79
601-607
80
607-624
81
624-634
82
634-640
83
640-645
84
646-655
85
655-685
86
686-691
87
691-696
88
697-702
89
702-707
90
707-724
91
725-726
92
727
93
728-816
94
817-842
95
842-872
96
II
97
II
98
1
99
2
100
3
  1 2 3 4 5 6