Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44 - Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs

Year published

1994

Author

Hermione Hobhouse (General Editor)

Description

The dockland parish of All Saints’, Poplar, encompasses the ancient hamlet of Poplar itself, the old shipbuilding centre of Blackwall, and the former industrial districts of Millwall and Cubitt Town. Poplar’s story is one of development and redevelopment on both the grand and the comparatively small scale, driven in the nineteenth century by mercantile interests and manufacturing, and after the Second World War by de-industrialization and the obsolescence of the Thames-side docks. The East and West India and Millwall Docks system is discussed in detail, together with the riverside wharves and works, and the massive regeneration, still in progress, which followed the creation of the Isle of Dogs Enterprise Zone in 1982. Among important individual buildings described is the seventeenth-century church of St Matthias, a rarity from the Interregnum, built for the East India Company. A major subject is public housing, which includes the famous Lansbury Estate, built in association with the 1951 Festival of Britain.

Sponsor

English Heritage

Source

Survey of London (Secondary texts)

Places

Subjects

Periods

Showing records 151 - 200 of 257

151
54
152
55
153
56
154
57
155
58
156
59
157
60
158
61
159
62
160
63
161
64
162
65
163
66
164
67
165
68
166
69
167
70
168
71
169
72
170
73
171
74
172
75
173
76
174
77
175
78
176
79
177
80
178
81
179
82
180
83
181
84
182
85
183
86
184
87
185
88
186
89
187
90
188
91
189
92
190
93
191
94
192
95
193
96
194
97
195
98
196
99
197
100
198
101
199
102
200
103
  1 2 3 4 5 6