Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44 - Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs

Year published

1994

Author

Hermione Hobhouse (General Editor)

Description

The dockland parish of All Saints’, Poplar, encompasses the ancient hamlet of Poplar itself, the old shipbuilding centre of Blackwall, and the former industrial districts of Millwall and Cubitt Town. Poplar’s story is one of development and redevelopment on both the grand and the comparatively small scale, driven in the nineteenth century by mercantile interests and manufacturing, and after the Second World War by de-industrialization and the obsolescence of the Thames-side docks. The East and West India and Millwall Docks system is discussed in detail, together with the riverside wharves and works, and the massive regeneration, still in progress, which followed the creation of the Isle of Dogs Enterprise Zone in 1982. Among important individual buildings described is the seventeenth-century church of St Matthias, a rarity from the Interregnum, built for the East India Company. A major subject is public housing, which includes the famous Lansbury Estate, built in association with the 1951 Festival of Britain.

Sponsor

English Heritage

Source

Survey of London (Secondary texts)

Places

Subjects

Periods

Showing records 201 - 250 of 257

201
104
202
105
203
106
204
107
205
108
206
109
207
110
208
111
209
112
210
113
211
114
212
115
213
116
214
117
215
118
216
119
217
120
218
121
219
122
220
123
221
124
222
125
223
126
224
127
225
128
226
129
227
130
228
131
229
132
230
133
231
134
232
135
233
136
234
137
235
138
236
139
237
140
238
141
239
142
240
143
241
144
242
145
243
146
244
147
245
148
246
149
247
150
248
151
249
152
250
153
  1 2 3 4 5 6