Histories, Surveys, Biographies, etc.
Acts of the Privy Council. Concerning the Fair, &c.
Allen, Thomas, History and Antiquities of London. Gives a description of the dissenters' school, 1828; of the domestic stair in the
Lady Chapel; a plan copied from Wilkinson; and bosses copied
from Malcolm. He copies Stow in a wrong date of the foundation;
the Lady Chapel is called the prior's house; the top storey the
infirmary; the south chapel the Lady Chapel; the sacristy is
called the chapter-house; and the meeting-house when in the
chapter-house is confused with that in the south triforium.
Antiquarian Etching Club Publications, 1849–54. Etchings, &c.,
of bosses from the cloister.
Archaeologia, published by the Society of Antiquaries, London.
Contains in vol. xv, 401, a description of the seal of Prior Perrin;
in vol. xix, 49, that of Rahere's seal; in vol. lvii, 29, the Ordinance
of Chivalry referred to above; in vol. lix, 375, notes on the
priory with a plan of the parish, by E. A. Webb (1905); and in
vol. lxiv, 165, the plan of the church and recent excavations by
the same (1913).
Archer, John Wickham, Vestiges of Old London, 1851. Contains views
of room in Coach and Horses over West Cloister Walk, of Smithfield
Gate and of Rahere's tomb; also references to monastic buildings
which are useful though the buildings are wrongly named.
Arnold's Chronicle, ed. by F. Douce. Gives the temporalities, 1519.
Biographia Britannica, ed. Dr. Kippis, 1778–93. Concerning
Dr. Francis Anthony.
Blackstone, Sir William, Commentaries of the Laws of England,
1844. Concerning the Court of Pie-powder.
Brayley, Edw. Wedlake, Londiniana, 1829. Concerning the Fair.
Britton, J., and Brayley, E. W., Beauties of England and Wales,
1815. A copy from Malcolm as regards the church, and from
Wilson as regards the nonconformists in the triforium.
Campbell, John, Lord, The Lives of the Lord Chancellors … 1845–1869. The life of Rich.
Carte, Thomas, General History of England, 1709, vol. ii. Concerning
Walden's committal to the Tower.
Carter, J., The Priory Surveyed, published in the Gentleman's
Magazine, 1809 (lxxix. 226). A careful and accurate survey. Carter
was an architect and draftsman to the Society of Antiquaries.
Chambers, Robert, The Book of Days. Concerning the Fair and
Lady Holland's mob.
Clare, Rev. J. B., Wenhaston, Suff., Curious Parish Records. Refers
to St. Bartholomew's Chapel, Wenhaston.
Clark, Andrew, The Foundation Deeds of Felsted School and
Charities, printed for private issue at the Oxford University
Cooper, Charles Henry, Memoir of Margaret Countess of Richmond
and Derby, 1874. Payments made to Prior Bolton concerning
the Lady Margaret's tomb.
Cox, J. C., Churchwardens' Accounts, 1913. Fourteenth to close of
the seventeenth century.
Delamotte, W. A., The Royal Hospital of St. Bartholomew and Priory,
1844, gleaned from the Book of the Foundation, Knight's London,
and Malcolm. It has a view of the exterior of the south side of
the church after the fire of 1830 (p. 13); of the interior; of the
north side of Middlesex Passage, and of late twelfth-century
capitals. (The dormitory is called the refectory.) All the views are
interesting, but those by the author himself are very badly drawn.
Dobson, Austin, Memoirs of William Hogarth, 1907.
Dugdale, Sir William, History of St. Paul's Cathedral; Continuation
by Henry Ellis, 1818. Records the collation of one Rahere to the
prebend of Chamberlain Wood, and the appointment by the pope
of Roger Walden as Bishop of London.
Ecclesiologist, The, vol. 26. Records the finding of remains of the
Ecton, John, Liber Valorum et Decimarum, 2nd ed., 1723. Tenths
paid by St. Bartholomew's.
Entic, J., History and Survey of London, 1766. Concerning the Fair.
Fincham, Henry W., An Historical Account of Canonbury Tower;
with a description of its recent restoration, by Major C. E. Dance,
Fisher, Major Payne, Catalogue of the tombs in the churches of the
city of London.
Foster, Joseph, Alumni Oxonienses: the members of the University
of Oxford, 1500–1714, published 1891–2. Notes on some of the
Fox, John, Acts and Monuments, 9th ed., 1684. The Smithfield
Freshfield, Edwin, jun., The Communion Plate of the Churches in
the City of London. Describes the plate of St. Bartholomew's,
Frost, Thomas, The Old Showmen and the Old London Fairs, 1874.
Concerning Bartholomew Fair.
Froude, J. A., History of England from the Fall of Wolsey to the
Death of Elizabeth, published 1862–70. Promotions of Rich in
the will of Henry VIII.
Fryer, Alfred C., Three Pre-reformation Fonts in London. Reprinted
from the Archaeological Journal, 1914. A description and
photograph of the font at St. Bartholomew the Great.
Fuller, Thomas, Worthies of England, 1662. A few observations on
Godwin, Geo., and Britton, J., Churches of London, 1837. A view
of the east end of the north aisle, and a record that the vaulting
of the cloister was of chalk and rubble.
Halsted, Caroline A., Life of Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby, mother of King Henry VII, 1839. Records
that the epitaph on her tomb was composed by Erasmus.
Hampson, R. T., Medii Aevi Kalendarium, 1841. Concerning St.
Bartholomew's and St. Bartholomew's Day.
Hatton, Edward, New View of London, 1708. Describes the heraldry
on all the tablets in the church.
Hennessey, George, Novum Repertorium Ecclesiasticum Parochiale
Londinense. A continuation of Newcourt. The date of the
surrender is given as 1540 instead of 1539; Robert Hill, rector
of St. Bartholomew Exchange, 1613, is included among the
rectors of St. Bartholomew the Great.
Hentzner, Paul, A journey into England in the year 1598, printed
1757. A description of the Lord Mayor at the Fair.
Herbert, William, The History of the twelve great Livery Companies,
1836, records the attendance of the prior at the feasts of the
Drapers' Company; the relations of the Merchant Taylors' and
Drapers' Companies with Bartholomew Fair; and the finding
by the Goldsmiths' Company of a maker of debased silver
goblets within the precinct of the priory.
Hibbert, Francis Aidan, The Dissolution of the Monasteries as
illustrated by the suppression of the religious houses of Staffordshire, 1910.
Hone, William, The Everyday Book, 1826. A visit to Canonbury
Tower and a long account of the Fair.
Hook, W. F., Lives of the Archbishops of Canterbury, 1860–7.
Includes the life of Roger Walden.
Huguenot Society of London, Proceedings, vol. vii. Concerning
John and Maximilian Colt (Poictrin).
Kempe, A., Historical Notices of the Collegiate Church of St. Martin
le Grand, 1825. Concerning the pension paid by the priory to
Knight, Charles, London, 1841. An honest history with good woodcuts; one of the south side of the church after the fire of 1830;
one of the Founder's tomb; a view from the organ gallery;
the undercroft of the dorter; the old poors' box, &c. He
confuses the cloister of the church with that of the hospital;
the Lady Chapel with the frater; the dorter with the hall;
and the undercroft with the crypt.
Le Neve, John, Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae, corrected and continued
by T. Duffus Hardy, 1854. Concerning Bishop Roger Walden
and prebendary Raherius or Ragerius.
Leland's Collectanea De Rebus Britannicis, Hearne, 1770. Refers
to charter 33 Hen. I. Gives a wrong date for the foundation;
mentions the anchoress at the hospital.
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1845.
Concerning St. Nicholas, Little Yarmouth.
Lewis, Samuel, jun., History of Islington, 1849. Includes Canonbury
and several references to St. Bartholomew's.
Lewis, T. Hayter, and Slater, William, Report of the State of the
Church of St. Bartholomew the Great, April 1863.
Lewis, T. Hayter, A Paper on the Church read before the London and
Middlesex Archaeological Society, January 30, 1866, and
published in the Transactions of the Society.
Lloyd, David, Memoires, 1668. Concerning Dr. Westfield.
Lysons, David, The Environs of London, 2nd ed., 1810. Deals with
Canonbury, Renters, Little Stanmore, and Canons. Very
reliable, though the tithes of Chalton are said to have been held
by the hospital instead of by the priory.
Maitland, William, The History and Survey of London, 1756. As
regards St. Bartholomew's very inaccurate.
Malcolm, James Peller, Londinium Redivivum, 1803. As regards
St. Bartholomew's, original throughout. Books I and II of
the Book of the Foundation, with one of the miracles, are given,
also an illustration and table of contents from the illuminated
MS. copy of the Decretals of Gregory IX, and a valuable print
of the quire and of five bosses from the cloister. The Smithfield
Gate is properly described as an entrance to the church; inscriptions on monuments no longer extant are given; also a view of
the mediaeval pulpit; and a description of the remains of the
Milman, Henry Hart, Annals of St. Paul's Cathedral, 2nd ed., 1869.
Concerning Bishop Roger Walden.
Milman, Henry Hart, History of Latin Christianity, 4th ed., 1883.
The lives of the popes.
Moore, Sir Norman, Bart., M.D., The History of St. Bartholomew's
Hospital, 1918. The monastic charters and papal bulls still in
the possession of the Governors are reproduced in facsimile
with seals attached; light is thrown on some doubtful priory
Moore, Norman, M.D., The Charter of King Henry the First to
St. Bartholomew's Priory, 1133, edited with notes from the
copy in the Record Office, on the occasion of the restoration
of the south transept to the use of the church, March 14,
Moore, Norman, M.D., The Ordinance of Richard de Ely, Bishop
of London as to St. Bartholomew's Priory in West Smithfield.
Edited from the original document, 1886.
Moore, Norman, M.D., A Brief Relation of the Past and Present
State of St. Bartholomew's Hospital, 1895. Deals briefly with
the founder and the patron Saint.
Moore, Norman, M.D., The Church of St. Bartholomew the Great,
West Smithfield, its Foundation, Present Condition, and Funeral
Monuments, 8th ed., 1915. (A guide book for visitors.)
Mores, E. R., Dissertation upon English Typographical Founders,
1778 (only 8 copies printed, 3 are in the B.M.). Concerning the
foundry of T. and J. James next the Lady Chapel.
Newcourt, Richard, Repertorium Ecclesiasticum Parochiale Londinense,
1708. Newcourt was a notary public, and for twenty-six years
held the office of principal registrary of the diocese. Deals with
the London Spiritualities of the priory; a wrong date for the
foundation is given, otherwise very reliable.
Newton, William, London in Olden Times, 1855. Inaccurate and
Nichols, John, Progresses, Processions, and Festivities of James I,
1828. Gives Queen Elizabeth's remark to Mildmay concerning
Emmanuel College, Cambridge.
'Normanus', An illustrated account of St. Bartholomew's Priory
Church, Smithfield, 56 engravings from original sketches; undated,
cir. 1883 or earlier. Deals with the priory, hospital, Canonbury,
and seals. Illustrations grotesquely drawn but the subjects are
interesting, such as the exterior of the Lady Chapel as a fringe
factory; the great staircase therein; Houses in Cloth Fair
and Back Court; and the Bridges organ, 1731.
Notes and Queries, on Bolton's fear of an inundation; on a Tyburn
ticket; Bartholomew Fair, &c.
Oman, Charles, The Great Revolt of 1381, published 1906. Records
Wat Tyler being struck down in front of St. Bartholomew's
Parker, J. H., The Church of St. Bartholomew the Great, Smithfield.
A lecture delivered in the church, July 13, 1863. The misconception about the dormitories is rectified; the undercroft
explained; the ambulatory behind the altar illustrated; and a
view given from the organ gallery before the restoration of 1864.
Pearce, E. H., Annals of Christ's Hospital, 1901. Records that the
boys were accommodated at St. Bartholomew the Great Church
after the Great Fire of 1666.
Pennant, Thomas, Some Account of London, 3rd ed., 1793. As to
St. Bartholomew's, it should be ignored.
Pepys, Samuel, Diary, edited with additions by H. B. Wheatley,
1897. Recounts his visits to the bookshops in Duck Lane.
Rapin, Paul de Thoyras, History of England, 1784. Translated from
the French and continued by N. Tindal. Concerning Sir Walter
Mildmay's commission to treat with the Queen of Scots.
Reed, Talbot Baines, Letter Founders, 1887. Concerning Thomas
and John James's letter foundry in the house adjoining the east
end of the Lady Chapel.
Riley, Henry Thomas, Chronicles of the Mayors and Sheriffs of London,
1188–1274, published 1863. Concerning a tron set up by the prior.
Riley, Henry Thomas, Memorials of London and London Life from
1276–1419, published 1868. Payment to the prior to find canons
to celebrate mass.
Rites of Durham, Surtees Society. Concerning the charnel house.
Rock, Daniel, Church of Our Fathers, ed. 1905. Concerning the
monastic habit, &c.
Sargeaunt, John, A History of Felsted School, 1889. A history of
Sir Richard Rich and his descendants, with a genealogical
Seymour, Robert, Survey of London and Westminster, 1734. Names
the streets and gives the numbers of the houses, but otherwise
is a copy of Stow.
Simpson, W. S., Registrum Statutorum et Consuetudinum Ecclesiae
Cathedralis Sancti Pauli Londinensis, 1873.
Smith, John Thomas, Antiquities of London and its Environs, 1791.
A view of the Smithfield Gate.
Smith, John Thomas, Ancient Topography of London, 1815. View
of the north-east corner of the ambulatory; a reference to
Spelman, Sir Hen., Glossarium Archaiologicum, 1664. The definitions
of Anglo-Saxon terms in charters.
Stevens, J., History of the Ancient Abbeys, &c., being additional
vols. to Dugdale's Monasticon, 1722. Concerning the Order and
Stevens, James, Ye Perfecte Historie offe ye Antiente Fraternitie
offe ye Rahere Almoners, 1882. An account of a benevolent
institution founded in the parish of the priory about the date
Storer and Grieg, Select Views of London and its Environs, 1804.
A view of the Smithfield Gate and of the east walk of the cloister,
by J. Grieg; of the vaulted passage through the dorter, by
J. Storer; of Rahere's monument, by F. Nash, &c.
Stow, John, A Survey of London; written in 1598, revised by him
in 1603. The statements made concerning the parish chapel
and the bells and the monuments are invaluable. C. L. Kingsford's edition is most valuable.
Strickland, Agnes, Lives of the Queens of England, 1840. Concerning
Dr. Bartlett, Sir Richard Rich, and Princess Mary.
Strype, John, A Survey of London (&c.) written at first in the year
1598 by John Stow, 1720. Describes the later monuments;
the founding is attributed to 1102 instead of to 1123; and the
founding of the fair to Henry II instead of Henry I.
Strype, John, Memorials of Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1694. Concerning the character of Sir Richard Rich.
Strype, John, The History of the Life of Edmund Grindal, the first
Bishop of London and the second Archbishop of York and
Canterbury, successively, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, 1710.
Concerning the proposed removal of the lead from the church
of St. Bartholomew for St. Paul's.
Thompson, A. Hamilton, English Monasteries, 1913. Much precise
and concise information.
Thorpe, B., Diplomatarium Anglicum Aevi Saxonici, 1865. Concerning
Thorpe, Mary and Charlotte, London Church Staves, 1895. Gives
an engraving of the staff or verge at St. Bartholomew's.
Tomlinson, E. M., A History of the Minories, London, 1907. A
parish which enjoyed even greater privileges than the parish of
Turner, William Henry, Calendar of Charters and Rolls preserved
in the Bodleian Library. Enumerates Middlesex Roll I, the
rental already referred to above, and the places mentioned therein.
Tyerman, Rev. Luke, Life of John Wesley, 1870–1. The Bishop of
London's reply to a complaint that Wesley was frequently
invited to preach at St. Bartholomew's.
Unwin, G. T., The Gilds and Companies of London, 1908. The
abandonment of search by the city companies.
Urlin, R. Denny, The Churchman's Life of Wesley. Concerning
rector Bateman's invitation to him to preach at St. Bartholomew's.
Vetusta Monumenta, vol. ii, published by the Society of Antiquaries,
London, 1784. A good history of the priory though the dates
are incorrect; plates xxxvi and xxxvii delineate the
Founder's Tomb, the seals and architectural details; vol. vii,
pt. iv, 1906, contains the obituary roll of John Islip, Abbot of
Westminster (1532), and of Lucy, prioress of Hedingham (1230).
Victoria County History of London, 1909. An excellent article on
the priory is from original documents, but no account is given of
the Dominican occupation of the priory. There was not an
Alan prior in 1181, nor a Simon Wynchecombe prior in 1392,
as here stated. Prior John (de Kensington)'s dates were 1295–1316, not 1306–23; John (de Pekesden)'s dates were 1316–50,
not 1338–50; and there was a Prior Roger about 1174 not
mentioned. The tablet in the porch of the church is correct, but
has not been followed.
Walford, Cornelius, Fairs Past and Present, 1883. A history of
Bartholomew Fair arranged chronologically.
Walcott, Mackenzie E. C., St. Bartholomew's Priory Church. Reprint
from the Churchman's Companion of June 1864. The monastic
buildings are correctly named.
Way, Albert, Notices of Ancient Ornaments (in a book at the Society
of Antiquaries labelled City Plate and Maces), and concerning
Webb, E. A., Views of the Church by Freeman Dovaston with conjectural plan. History and descriptive notes by E. A. Webb,
14th ed., 1921.
Webb, Sidney and Beatrice, English Local Government. The origin
and conduct of the select vestry of St. Bartholomew the Great.
Weever, John, Ancient Funeral Monuments, 1631. A description
of a memorial tablet of Prior Bolton; a statement that Roger
Walden was buried in the church, and his epitaph, but no
authority is given.
Welch, Charles, Modern History of the City of London, 1896. Records
fires in the Close, &c.
Wesley, John, The Journal of, published 1903, Standard edition.
His preaching at St. Bartholomew's.
Wharton, Henry, Historia de Episcopis et Decanis Londinensibus,
1695. Roger Walden's arms with reference to Lambeth MS. 555.
Wharton, Henry, Anglia Sacra, sive collectio historiarum de Archiepiscopis et Episcopis Angliae, 1691. Gives the arms of Roger
Walden from Lambeth MS. 555.
Wheatley, Henry B., London Past and Present, 1891. States
that Sir Walter Mildmay had his house in Paul's Wharf in
White, Alfred, A paper on the priory read at the church, 1859 (of
Wilkinson, Robert, Londina Illustrata, 1819. (The section 'The
Priory and Church of St. Bartholomew the Great', 1821,
missing in some copies.) It contains an abridged translation of
the grant to Rich; the words of the proclamation of the fair;
particulars of the boundary dispute with St. Botolph's; an
engraving of the fourteenth century seal; an original plan of
the priory (though the Lady Chapel, Sacristy, and Chapter-house
are wrongly named). There are good views of the interior of
the church looking east, and of the interior of the chapter-house
when used as a meeting-house, both by T. H. Shepherd; and of
the south transept in ruins by Nash.
Wilson, Walter, The History and Antiquities of Dissenting Churches
and Meeting-Houses in London, 1808. Concerning the meetinghouse in the south triforium and sacristy.
Witton Grammar School, The original statutes of the founder,
A.D. 1558, and the schemes and rules of the Endowed Schools
Commission for its future management, 1874 and 1895. Printed
by order of the governors, Northwich, 1899. (A pamphlet,
edited by John Weston.)
Wood, Anthony, Athenae Oxonienses, History of all the Writers and
Bishops … of Oxford. Also Fasti Oxonienses, 1500–1695,
Worley, George, The Priory Church of St. Bartholomew the Great,
Smithfield, 1908. (For the Bell series.) Reliable and copiously
illustrated, but the plan is not the latest.
Wotton, Sir Henry, Reliquiae Wottonianae; or a collection of Lives,
&c., 1651. Gives the verse on the death of Sir Albert Morton's
wife: 'He first deceased', &c.
Wylie, J. H., History of England under Henry IV, 1884–96, has an
excellent account of Roger Walden in vol. iii.
Armstrong, B. J., Account of Little Stanmore, 1861. Deals with
Whitchurch (Canons) and Handel's connexion there.
Chauncy, Sir Henry, Antiquities of Hertfordshire, 1700. Deals with
Copinger, W. A., Materials for the history of the County of Suffolk
(no date), vol. v. Concerning Little Yarmouth, Gorleston, and
Cussans, J. E., History of Hertfordshire, 1870–81. Deals with
Wall Hall, Elstree, Homes, and Tewin.
Lipscombe, George, History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, 1847. Deals with the church of Mentmore.
Lysons, Daniel (see above). Deals with Canonbury, Renters, Little
Stanmore, and Canons.
Morant, Philip, History of Essex, 1763. Deals with New Hall, Langley,
Theydon Bois, Danbury, Bradfield, and Shortgrove, but it omits
to mention that Bradfield church belonged to St. Bartholomew's
Muilman, Peter, History of Essex, 1770–72. In part copied from
Nelson, John, The History of Islington, 1829. Deals with Canonbury.
Nichols, John, History and Antiquities of Canonbury House,
Islington, 1826, very reliable. The deed of surrender is also
given in extenso.
Palmer, Charles John, The Perlustration of Great Yarmouth with
Gorleston and South Town, 1875. Throws light on the question
of St. Nicholas, Little Yarmouth, and the friary at Gorleston.
Pinks, William J., The History of Clerkenwell, 1880. Concerning the
water supply of the priory in 1433; records the discovery of early
glazed tiles in Cloth Fair.
Redstone, V. B. (Ed. by), Memorials of Old Suffolk, 1908; extracts
from the Liber Consuetudinarius of the abbey of St. Edmund at
Bury St. Edmunds.
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, An Inventory of
the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire (1910, concerning
Tewin; and in Essex, vol. i, 1916).
Salmon, Nathaniel, The History of Hertfordshire, 1728. Deals with
Tewin and Amwell.
Suckling, Alfred, History and Antiquities of Suffolk, 1846. Deals
with Gorleston and Lowestoft.
Victoria County History of Essex. The first volume deals with
Wright, Thomas, History of Essex, 1842. Reference to the church
Bloxam, Mathew Holbeche, The Principles of Gothic Ecclesiastical
Bond, Francis, Gothic Architecture in England, 1905.
Bond, Francis, Westminster Abbey, 1909.
Parker, John Henry, A B C of Gothic Architecture, 1885.
Parker, John Henry, A concise Glossary of Terms used in Grecian,
Roman, Italian, and Gothic Architecture.
Scott, George Gilbert, An Essay on the History of English Church
West, George Herbert, Gothic Architecture in England and France,
The Augustinian order
Clark, John Willis, The Observances in use at the Augustinian
Priory of St. Giles and St. Andrew at Barnwell, Cambridgeshire,
1897. (From the Harl. MS. 3601, known as the Barnwell Cartulary.)
Dugdale, Sir William (see above), vol. vi, gives the canons of the order.
Gasquet, Abbot, Henry VIII and the English Monasteries, 1913.
Heales, Major Alfred, The Records of Merton Priory, 1898.
Heales, Major Alfred, The History of Tanridge Priory, 1885.
Crace, Frederick, A catalogue of maps, plans, and views of London,
Westminster, and Southwark. Ed. by John Gregory Crace
(his son), 1878, now in the B.M. It contains copies of many
maps, plans, and drawings of Cloth Fair houses, including one of
the Coach and Horses before demolition in 1851.
Gardner, John Edmund, A collection of London topography was in
the possession of the late Sir Edward Coates, by whose permission
several views of St. Bartholomew's are reproduced in this book.
A catalogue was made and published by Sotheby, Wilkinson,
and Hodge for public auction in 1910, but it was sold privately
beforehand to the recent owner.
London Topographical Society, Reproductions of Maps and Plans
Agas, Ralph, Civitas Londinum, A map of London of uncertain date,
probably between 1570 and 1605. St. Bartholomew's is well
shown: the nave destroyed; a bell tower on the north side of
the quire; 'le cheyne' in front of the west end of the nave;
a water conduit in the Close; the Fair ground unbuilt upon and
the priory garden existing. St. Paul's is shown without its spire,
which was burnt in 1561. The original of this map is in the Guildhall (pl. LVI b, Vol. II, p. 110).
Anthonie van den Wyngaerde, View of London circa 1550. A pen
drawing with considerable detail. A large bell tower is shown
on the north side westward of the quire. It has been reproduced
by the Typographic Etching Company from the original drawing
in the Sutherland collection at the Bodleian Library, also for
Mediaeval London by the late Dr. William Benham and Mr. Charles
Welch, 1901 (pl. LVI a, Vol. II, p. 110). The reproduction in
Maps of Old London published by A. and C. Black, 1908, is a copy
much altered by N. Whittock in 1849.
Fairthorne and Newcourt, City of London, 1658. St. Bartholomew's is shown as in Norden's map, though larger. The house
over the monastic gate into the close is clearly shown.
Hoefnagel, Londinum Feracissimi Angliae Regni Metropolis. A map
of London of uncertain date. St. Paul's is shown with a spire.
It is taken from Braun and Hogenburg's Civitates Orbis
Terrarum, 1572. It may be earlier than the Agas map, which
is almost identical with it as regards St. Bartholomew's except
that Hoefnagel does not show 'le cheyne'.
Hollar, View of London, 1647. St. Bartholomew's is hidden by
St. Paul's; it is reproduced by the London Topographical Society.
Norden, John, Map of London, 1593. It is on a very small scale. It
shows the Fair ground crowded with small houses.
Ogilby, John, and Morgan, William, Survey of London, 1677.
A large and accurate ground-plan map. Useful in tracing the
monastic buildings and streets (pl. LXXX, Vol. II, p. 174).
Rocque, John, Survey of London, 1741–5. An accurate map of the
parish. Streets and courts are named as Flying Horse and
Parker's yards (pl. LXXX, Vol. II, p. 174).
Hardwick, Thomas (architect), Plan of the priory in 1791, also sections
north to south, now belonging to the Society of Antiquaries.
Interesting and useful, but the arcading on the south wall was
conjectural only and not correct (pls. LXXII, LXXIII, Vol. II,
pp. 134, 136).
Lewis, Hayter, and Slater, William, Twenty-three plans and elevations, &c., of the restoration of 1864, presented to the rector and
churchwardens by Mr. Frederick H. Reed, who also presented
a duplicate set to the South Kensington Museum.
Webb, Sir Aston, Plans, elevations, and sections, being an accurate
survey of the church drawn to scale before the restoration was
commenced in 1885–6 (pls. LX to LXIII, Vol. II, p. 120).
Other plans made for this book are plans of the church in 1913
(Vol. II, pp. 3, 7); plan of monastic buildings as in 1616
(Vol. II, p. 77); plan of the priory at the time of the suppression
(Vol. II, p. 131); plan of prior's house, chapter house, &c.
(Vol. II, p. 134); conjectural plan of the meeting house (Vol. II,
p. 168); and plan of the church and parish early in the
seventeenth century (Vol. II, p. 199).
Books of reference
Bond, John J., Handy Book of Rules and Tables for verifying dates
with the Christian era, 4th ed., 1889, &c.
Burn, Richard, The Ecclesiastical Law, 8th ed., 1824.
Cox, J. Charles, How to write the History of a Parish, 5th ed., 1909.
Dictionary of National Biography. Also the index and epitome
by Sir Sidney Lee, 1903.
Jacob, Giles, A new Law Dictionary, 6th ed., 1750.
Martin, Charles Trice, The Record Interpreter. A collection of
abbreviations, Latin words, and names used in English Historical
Manuscripts and Records, 1892.
Metcalfe, Walter C., Knights Banneret, Knights of the Bath, and
Knights Bachelor made between the fourth year of King Henry VI
and the restoration of King Charles II … 1885.
Morgan, Augustus de, The Book of Almanacks, 2nd ed. 1871.
The Society of Antiquaries of London, Printed Books in the
Library of, 1887, and Supplement, 1899. A useful catalogue.
Vincent, Benjamin, Haydn's Dictionary of Dates, 20th ed., 1892.
Wheatley, Henry B., How to make an Index, 1902.
Wright, Andrew, Court-Hand Restored, or the Student's Assistant
in reading Old Deeds, Charters, Records, &c., 3rd ed., 1879.