BHO

The Records of St. Bartholomew's Priory and St. Bartholomew the Great, West Smithfield: Volume 2

By E A Webb. The post-Reformation history of the church and parish. Includes a detailed account of the fabric of the church, its monuments and memorials, and parochial records. Also contains a chronological account of the church and its rectors. Substantial appendices detail the nineteenth-century restoration of the church building.

St Bartholomew's Priory, Smithfield, Records. Originally published by Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1921.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Table of contents

Title Page(s)
List of figures and tables xvi
Glossary of technical terms xvii-xix
The fabric of the church: Architecture 1-14
The fabric of the church: The eastern limb 15-42
The fabric of the church: Crossing and transepts 43-60
The fabric of the church: Nave and floor levels 61-73
The fabric of the church: Lady chapel and crypt 74-90
The fabric of the church: Other chapels, altars and Images 91-105
The fabric of the church: Exterior, tower and bells 106-128
The monastic buildings: The cloister 130-142
The monastic buildings: Cloister buildings 143-158
The monastic buildings: The outer court 159-180
The monastic buildings: Monastic close, fair ground, gardens and grave-yard 181-195
The parish: Bounds, gates and watchmen 199-212
The parish: The close precinct and glebe houses 213-231
The parish: Itinerary of cloth fair 232-247
The parish: Inhabitants 248-291
The parish: Descendants of Rich and the advowson 292-296
Rectors and their times: Sixteenth century (1544 onwards) 298-312
Rectors and their times: Seventeenth century 313-331
Rectors and their times: Eighteenth century 332-367
Rectors and their times: John Richards Roberts (1814-19) 368-373
Rectors and their times: John Abbiss (1819-83) 373-404
Rectors and their times: William Panckridge (1884-87) 405-413
Rectors and their times: Borradaile Savory (1887-1906) 413-435
Rectors and their times: W.F.G. Sandwith (1907-) 436-445
Monuments, memorials and heraldry 449-487
Grave stones in the church and churchyard 488-499
Matters appertaining to the church: Plate, organs and inventories 500-509
Parochial records 510-531
Appendix: Subscribers to the rebuilding of the tower, 1628 535-536
Appendix: Restoration committee and architect's reports (1863 and 1885) 536-553
Appendix: Parish gates 553-559
Appendix: Tables of fees 559-562
Appendix: Duties of parish officials 562-564
Appendix: Endowed charities 564-579