The Records of St. Bartholomew's Priory and St. Bartholomew the Great, West Smithfield: Volume 2. Originally published by Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHAPTER XXIII - MONUMENTS, MEMORIALS AND THEIR HERALDRY
The following is a description of all monuments and memorials now in the church arranged according to date of death of the person commemorated, their position being stated in each case. (fn. 1)
Rahere, 1143. The founder's monument (pl. XCVIII) is on the north side of the presbytery in the bay next to the apse. It consists of a richly carved canopied tomb in the late Decorated style with a recumbent effigy of Rahere, two small kneeling figures on either side, and an angel rising out of a cloud at his feet, holding a shield with the priory arms. Below the effigy in front are four panels with shields. On the verge of the slab on which the effigy rests is inscribed:
The monument and the heraldry have been fully described in the chapter on the founder (fn. 2) (pl. XCVIII, p. 450).
Sir John Deane, (fn. 3) 1563. On the floor on the south side of the
sanctuary opposite to Rahere's monument is a black marble slab with
an inlaid brass cross, and an inscription round the slab and below the
cross as follows:
To the glory of God and in pious memory
of Sir John Deane
priest and rector of this priory church.
The pupils of the Witton
Grammar School, Northwich
of which Sir John was
the founder A.D. 1557, dedicated this memorial
St. Bartholomew's Day, A.D. 1893.
A full biographical notice of this, the first rector, has already been given. (fn. 4)
Percival and Agnes Smalpace, 1558/9 and 1588. This monument is on the south side of the quire on the great south-east pier of the crossing, moved here in 1867 from the south side of the presbytery east of the Mildmay tomb. It is of brown marble but daubed with pitch. The heads of husband and wife, carved in the same material, are set in two deep panels. They have large Elizabethan collars and are evidently portraits (pl. XCIX a, p. 451). They are also depicted below on a slate panel lying side by side unclothed on a couch. On this panel and above the recumbent figures is inscribed:
|Vana salus omnis.|
|Memor esto quoniam mors non tardat et testamentum inferorum quia demonstratum est tibi; testamentum enim hujus mundi; morte morietur.||Ecclesiastici Cap. 14 (fn. 5)|
|Omnia suo proveneunt [sic] tempore atque transeunt.||Ecclesiastici Cap. (fn. 6)|
|Ante mortem ne laudes hominem quenquam quoniam in filiis suis agnoscitur vir.||Ecclesiastici Cap. 11 (fn. 7)|
|Percivallus Smalpace armiger obiit 2° die Februarii A° Dni 1558 R. Elizabeta regnante cujus quidem corpus juxta hunc tumulum humatum existit.||Agnes uxor ejus et filia Fohis Tebowld armigeri obiit tertio die Septembris A° Dni. 1588 Elizabeta regnante cujus quidem corpus juxta hunc tumulum humatum existit.|
Liberi inter eos Michael et Thomas
Adhuc viventes qui in religiosa memoria
Optimorum parentum suorum hoc
Morienti cuncta quiescunt
Beati qui moriuntur in Domino.
Below the tablet is a recessed plinth or tablet the whole width of the
monument, on which is inscribed:
Suum cuique decus posteritas rependet
Qui sapis capis etiam istud religione vita constat nichil
Tibi ascribe Deo vero te totum prebe illi ex animo preces
Concipe laudes grates huic fini homo natus et O bene
Multo firmior fides quam reponit penitentia.
Below this second tablet is a shield from which the armorials have quite gone, but below it are written 'Smalpace et Devenische', from which we may safely infer that they were: Smalpace, Sable an inescutcheon within an orle of martlets or, impaling Devenische, Vert a saltire engr. or, between four cross crosslets fitchée argent. The above arms of Smalpace occur several times on the monument to John and Margaret Whiting.
There are no parochial records of Percival Smalpace. From his will (fn. 8) we learn that he was one of the clerks of the Board of Green Cloth. The monument was restored by Mr. Gilbert J. Smallpiece in 1897. There is an oval tablet to the memory of Percival Smalpace, grandson of the above, in St. Botolph's church, Aldersgate. (fn. 9)
Remember that death will not be long in coming and that the covenant of the grave hath been showed unto thee for the covenant of this world is 'He shall die the death'. All things come forth at their due season and pass away.
Percival Smalpace Esquire
died the 2nd day of February
A. D. 1558 in the reign of
Queen Elizabeth. His body
lies buried near this
Agnes his wife and daughter of John Tebowld Esquire died the 3rd day of September A. D. 1588 in the reign of Elizabeth. Her body lies buried near this monument.
Their children Michael and Thomas are still living and in affectionate memory of their most excellent parents have erected this monument.
To the dying man all things become peaceful;
blessed are they who die in the Lord.
Posterity will award to each his due distinction. Be wise and adopt with reverence this precept: Thy life is of no account for thee, enrol thyself in the full service of the true God: proffer to Him prayers from thy heart, and express thy praise and thanksgiving. To this end was a man born. And, O! very far more steadfast is a faith which repentance renews.
Sir Walter Mildmay, 1589, and his wife Mary, 1576. This monument is against the south wall of the south aisle in the second bay east of the transept (pl. XCIX b). Formerly it stood against the south wall of the presbytery, in the bay immediately opposite the tomb of Rahere, as shown by Malcolm in 1803, (fn. 10) at which time it was surrounded by iron rails; and had, in 1792, been painted to represent variegated marbles and varnished. (fn. 11) It was removed to its present position during the restoration in 1865, when the coffins of the knight and his dame, then considerably above the floor level, were exposed to view. (fn. 12)
It is a fine classical monument of different coloured Italian marbles,
built after the manner of an altar tomb. It is in three stories and
the one, containing the coffins, constitutes the tomb: the front and
ends consist of plain marble panels upon which rests a plain marble
slab. The second story contains in the centre the memorial tablet
on which is inscribed:
Mors nobis lucrum
Hic jacet Gualterus Mildmay Miles et Maria uxor ejus
ipse obiit ultimo die Maii, 1589,
ipsa decimo sexto die Martii, 1576
reliquerunt duos filios et tres filias.
fundavit collegium Emanuelis Cantabrigiæ
Moritur Cancellarius et subthesaurarius scaccarii
et regiæ majestati a consiliis.
(In English: Death is gain to us. Here lies Walter Mildmay, knight, and Mary his wife. He died on the last day of May 1589; she on the 16th day of March 1576. They left two sons and three daughters. He founded Emmanuel College, Cambridge. He died Chancellor and sub-treasurer of the Exchequer, and a member of her Majesty's Privy Council.)
Below the tablet is a smaller marble slab on which is inscribed:
Hoc Monumentum Restaurandum curavit Henricus Bingham Mildmay Armiger 1870.
(In English: Henry Bingham Mildmay Esquire had this monument restored 1870.)
Around the tablet are eight shields emblazoned with the arms of those families whose names are inscribed on a slip above each shield. Low circular bosses, the same size as the shields, alternate with them. On either side of the tablet and shields are two marble columns and two pilasters: these stand on the slab of the tomb. The columns are each surmounted with an heraldic shield placed in an ornamented circle. The third story of the monument consists of a panel which contains an achievement of the arms of Sir Walter Mildmay, surmounted by a helmet, crest and mantling with the motto Virtute non Vi. The panel is flanked by two small pilasters and above each of these are bold models of the crest standing free with a small urn between them which reaches to the top of the aisle vault.
There are eleven shields in all on the monument. They commemorate the marriages made by Sir Walter and several of his children. They have been repainted more than once. The first repainting probably took place in the eighteenth century when the beautiful marble of the monument was painted over in imitation marble, (fn. 13) and they were repainted again when this marbling was taken off and the tomb repaired by Mr. Henry Bingham Mildmay as above in 1870. There are several mistakes in the arms and the families to whom they are assigned; but when these mistakes were made is not known. If they existed before 1870 they were not rectified at that time.
3. La Rous. (fn. 14) Azure on a canton or molet sable.
4. Cornish. (fn. 15) Sable, a chevron embattled or between three roses argent barbed and seeded ppr.
3. Nortoft. (fn. 18) Sable, a lion rampant or.
4. Bamme. (fn. 19) Ermine on a chief indented sable a trefoil slipped argent between two annulets or.
5. Dryland. (fn. 20) Gules, gouttée d'eau, a fess nebulée argent.
6. Royton. (fn. 21) Gules, a chevron between three garbs two and one argent and as many crosses bottonée fitchée one and two or: on the chevron a molet sable for difference (of a third son or line).
7. Writtle. (fn. 22) Sable, on a bend argent a bendlet wavy of the field, in the sinister chief a cross bottonée fitchée argent.
8. Boys. (fn. 23) Argent, two bars and a canton gules, over all a bend sable.
Shield IV. Of the eight shields around the tablet on the second
story: the dexter shield above the tablet contains the following arms:
Mildmay, as above, quarterly (1) Mildmay, (2) Mildmay, (3) La Rous, (4) Cornish.
1 and 4. Sherrington. (fn. 26) Gules between two flaunches chequy argent and azure as many crosses formée in pale or each changed with a cross formée sable.
2. Laval. (fn. 26) Azure, a bend argent.
3. Fansham. (fn. 27) Party per pale indented or and azure six martlets counterchanged.
Shield VII. Beneath this is a shield superscribed 'Brouncker and
Mildmay' with the following arms:
1. Fitzwilliam and Mildmay impaled.
Dexter, Fitzwilliam. (fn. 28) Lozengy argent and gules.
Sinister Mildmay as above, quarterly.
Shield VIII. Beneath this and below the tablet is a shield superscribed 'Barret and Mildmay' with the following arms:
Barret and Mildmay impaled.
Dexter, Barret. (fn. 29) Per pale argent and gules, barry of four counterchanged.
Sinister, Mildmay, as above, quarterly.
1. Leveson. (fn. 30) Azure, a fess nebulée argent between three holly (or oak) leaves or.
2. Prestwood. (fn. 31) Argent, a chevron gules between three cinquefoils sable.
4. Leveson. (fn. 32) As above. Sinister, impaling Mildmay as above.
Shield XI. The lower shield has Mildmay (Gloucester) in the 1st and 4th quarter, Mildmay (Essex) in the 2nd and La Rous in the 3rd (i.e. similar to shield I, except that the 4th quarter repeats the 1st and the arms of Cornish are omitted).
These two last shields are, as they now stand, both wrongly superscribed 'Mildmay and Capel', because the arms of Capel (Gules, a lion rampant between three cross crosslets fitchée or) do not appear on either of them. Sir Humphrey Mildmay of Danbury Place, Essex, married Mary daughter of Henry Capel of Hadham, Herts (she was not an heiress, so even if the arms on the shield of pretence had been hers, they would have been incorrectly placed). As six marriages were made by the five children of Sir Walter, it would seem probable that the six shields at the sides and below the tablet were designed to commemorate them, but at present the marriage of Martha Mildmay and Sir William Brouncker, and that of Humphrey Mildmay and Mary Capel are omitted. As the name 'Brouncker' occurs above shield VII, and that of 'Capel' above shields X and XI, it may not have been so omitted at first, and Fitzwilliam may have originally appeared above one of the three shields.
The history of the heraldry of Mildmay during the sixteenth century, Mr. G. W. Miller says, is curious. The family at first bore the arms of Mildmay (Essex), the three Greyhounds (see shield 1, 2 above). They were entered in the Herald's visitation of Essex in 1552: they are the sole arms assigned to them in Glover's 'Ordinary' of about that date, but the date of the grant is not known. (fn. 33) In the latter part of the sixteenth century the Mildmays, like the Spensers, Walsinghams and others, seem to have desired to have a long pedigree and the right to bear an ancient coat of arms. It was, as Professor Freeman sarcastically remarks, 'the golden age of pedigree making', and Cook, Clarenceux King-of-Arms, was able, he says, by 'divers auntient and credible authentical deedes, charters' &c. to trace back their descent to one Sir Hugh Mildmay who 'lyved in Kynge Stephen hys tyme' and by an act of restitution (fn. 34) dated 1583 to obtain for the Mildmays the ancient arms: viz. the three lions rampant (see shield I, 1 above). As may be seen from the monument, the previous, and now superfluous coat, was not discarded at once but it continued to be used as a second quartering. It appears thus for the last time on the funeral certificate of Sir Anthony Mildmay in 1617.
Another curious feature in the history of Mildmay heraldry is that Sir Walter Mildmay had applied for and been granted in 1552 a coat of entirely different character by Dethick Garter King-of-Arms, (fn. 35) viz. azure on a bend argent a pegasus sable langued gules. These arms remained during thirty years following the bearings of the family. We suggest elsewhere that the 'Flying Horse' publichouse in the cloister garth, now the 'Coach and Horses', may have derived its name from this coat of arms of the Mildmays. (fn. 36)
On the 26th May 1660 Rachel Newport wrote to her brother Sir R. Leveson, 'Tomorrow night we intend to bury her (Rachel Bromley, who died on the night of the 25th) in great St. Bartholomew's in my grandfather Mildmay's vault'. (fn. 37) But there is no reference to this on the monument.
Elizabeth Scudamore: died 1593. This monument is in the
centre bay of the north aisle: it was moved here from the south side
of the quire, where it had been fixed between the arches of the first
and second bays of the quire (fn. 38) (from the east) on the west side of the
Mildmay monument. It consists of a square tablet in a marble
frame with a circular boss on both sides and on the lower end, whilst
above is a shield with a helmet and crest. On the tablet is inscribed:
Hereunder lyeth buryed the Bodye of Elizabeth Scudamore wife of Phillipp Scudamore of Bornham in the Countie of Buck Esquier, she dyed the 9th of July 1593 and had to her former husband Henry Coddenham Esquier Auditor of the Mynt by whom she had issue Alice married to Robert Chamberline of Sherborne in the Countie of Oxon Esquier Dorothy married to Thomas Pigott of Dodershall in the Countie of Buck Esquier Elizabeth married to William Paulett of Winchester Esquier and after Richard Fines Knight Lord Say and Seale, the said Phillipp
Scudamore was afterwardes knighted and Travellinge beyond the seaes died at Antwerp in the yeare 1611 and lyeth buryed there in St. Jacobbs church.
The shield with helmet and crest above the monument are as follows: Arms—gules, three stirrups leathered and buckled or. Crest—a bear's paw, erect sable, issuing from a ducal coronet or.
Notes on Elizabeth Scudamore, Philip Scudamore, Henry Coddenham and Lady Saye and Sele will be found in the chapter on the inhabitants of the parish. (fn. 39)
Sir Robert Chamberlayne: died 1615. This marble monument
is in its original position on the north side of the quire, on the northeast pier of the crossing above the pulpit (pl. C a, p. 458). It consists of
a carved effigy in armour kneeling under a canopy with curtains held
back by a male and female winged figure, one on either side, and surmounted by a convex elliptical shield with arms. On either side is
an obelisk, and above is an interrupted circular pediment with the
crest, a hind's head. Below the effigy is the following inscription: (fn. 40)
Roberto R(oberti) f(ilio) Chamberlanio Jacobi Magnæ Britanniæ Francic(i) (fn. 41) Hibernic(i) (fn. 41) pij fælicis semper Augusti inauguratione nobiliss(imi) de Balneo Ordinis Militi Castelli de Sherburn in agro Oxoniensi Domino ab antiquiss(imis) Tankevilliæ in Normandia Comitib(us) longa Majorum serie demisso. Quantæ cunq(ue) fortunæ capaci, animo Magno nato nec virtutih(us) minorib(us), quas dum sibi suis (que) fovet exteras Nationes complurimas lustravit morum calidus Linguarumq(ue). Terram postremo sanctam et Sepulcrum Domini venerabundus adijt suumq(ue) (HEV fata) quale aut ubi incomperto reperiit littore si quidem solvens anno Virginei Partus MDCXV. Tripolim inter Cyprum(que) (quantum conjici fas est) Fatorum an Hominum inclementia coelebs a suis procul periit.
Tam dulcis olim Contubernij memor tantoq(ue) dolori et desiderio impar, amico amicus merenti mærens p (osuit).
Vixit annos circiter xxx.
Cælo tegitur qui non habet urnam.
(In English: To Robert Chamberlayne, son of Robert by the institution of the pious happy and ever August James, of Great Britain France and Ireland, made a knight of the most noble order of the Bath; lord of the castle of Sherburn in the county of Oxford, descended by a long line of ancestors from the most ancient Earls of Tankerville in Normandy. Fit for any fortune, however great, born with an intellect and an equally great character, whilst cherishing these for himself and his own people, he also travelled many foreign countries, skilled in their habits and languages. Eventually he reverently approached the Holy Land and the Sepulchre of our Lord, and found also (alas) his own (sepulchre) of what kind or on what shore is unknown, dying in the year of the Virgin Birth 1615. A bachelor, far from his own people he perished by the inclemency of the weather or of man between (as far as can be guessed) Tripoli and Cyprus. A sorrowing friend, mindful of so sweet and old a companionship and unequal to support so great a grief and loss erected this (monument) (to a well deserving friend). He lived about 30 years. He is covered by heaven though he has no tomb.)
On the shield is quarterly of nine, viz.:
1. Chamberlayne. Gules, an escutcheon argent within an orle of eight molets or.
2. Tankerville. (fn. 42) Gules, a chevron between three escallops or.
3. Gatesden. (fn. 43) Azure, five lioncels rampant three and two, or.
4. Morteine. (fn. 44) Ermine, a chief indented gules.
5. Ekeney. Sable, two lions passant or, a label of three points gules.
6. St. John. (fn. 45) Argent, on a chief gules two molets or.
7. Lovaine. (fn. 46) Sable, on a bend argent, cotised or, three saltires gules.
8. Abell. Argent, a saltire engrailed azure.
9. Cheeseman. (fn. 47) Per fess embattled or and sable three molets pierced counterchanged.
Elizabeth Freshwater, 1617. This marble monument, before
1864, was in the south aisle close by the entrance to the south side
chapel. (fn. 48) It is now on the east wall of the south transept (pl. Cb, p. 458).
It has within a panelled arch a carved effigy kneeling at a prie-Dieu.
The figure has a large ruff of the period and a head-dress. Above is
a shield with arms and a broken pediment and crest, and two other
shields, one on either side. Below the effigy is a tablet ornamented
with three cherub heads and the following inscription:
'Here lyeth interred the body of Elizabeth Freshwater, late wife of Thomas Freshwater of Henbridge in the County of Essex Esquire; eldest daughter of John Orme of this parish, Gentleman and Mary his wife. She died the 16th day of May Anno Domini 1617 being of the age of 26 years.
Mors properius, quali tinxisti tela veneno Ut sic trina uno vulnere prœda cadat Unam sœva feris; sed et uno hoc occidit ictu Uxor dulcis, amans filia, chara soror.
Here also lieth the bodies of Mary and John Orme.
He died the 10th January 1616, (fn. 49) Mary Orme died the 16th of April A. D. 1618'.
Oh! death, too speedy, with what poison didst thou tip thy shafts, That thus should fall a threefold victim to a single wound, Thou fiercely smitest one alone, but at this one stroke there falls A sweet wife, a loving daughter and a sister dear.)
The parish register shows that she was buried the next day after her death, viz. on the 17th May 1617. (fn. 50)
Nicholas Orme has a slab in the floor of the south aisle near where the monument formerly stood. (fn. 51)
Francis Anthony, 1623. This alabaster monument, now in the
north aisle, on the east side of the sacristy door (entrance to Rahere's
north chapel) was formerly on the north wall of the presbytery over
the pier adjoining the west end of the founder's tomb where it cut
into the arch mouldings (as shown in Archer's Vestiges). (fn. 52) It consists
of an oblong tablet in a frame; above is a shield, helmet and crest.
On the tablet are depicted three columns from the tops of which is
festooned a wreath of roses; below is inscribed:
Sacred to the memory of that worthy and lerned Francis Anthony, Doctor in Physick
There needs no verse to Beautify thy praise Or keepe in memory thy name
Religion virtue and thy skil did raise A threefold pillar to thy lasting Fame
Though poisenous envye ever sought to blame Or hyde the fruits of thy intention
Yet shall they all commend that high desygne Of purest gold to make a medicine
That feele thy helpe by that thy rare invention. He dyed the 26th of May 1623 of his age 74
His loving sonne John Anthony doctor in physick Left this remembrance of his sorrow. He dyed ye 28th April 1655 being aged 70 year and was buried near this place and left behind him 1 sonne and 3 daughters.
The shield has carved quarterly:
1. Anthony. Argent, a leopard's face gules between two flaunches sable.
2. Erley. Gules, a chevron between three bay leaves slipt argent.
3. —. Argent, a lion rampant sable.
4. Hawes. Azure on a chief or, nine cinquefoils gules, a canton ermine.
Crest—a demi antelope (or goat) ppr. attired and unguled or, and charged with a bezant. See Visitation of London, 1568. (fn. 53)
Francis Anthony was the son of Derrick Anthony by his wife Elizabeth, daughter and heiress of Richard Erley of Elterick, Leicester shire. (fn. 54) The first wife of Francis Anthony was Alice, daughter of William Hawes of Essex. The coat above hers is probably a quartering of her family whose pedigree is not recorded in the heralds' visitations.
Anthony Lowe, 1641. This marble monument is on the north
side of the east window of the south aisle and has a tablet in the centre,
with a smaller one below. The tablet is surmounted by a broken
pediment in the centre of which is a shield in an ornamented panel.
On the tablet is inscribed:
Anthonius Lowe Armiger de interiori templo juris consultus peritissimus; vir
Antiquæ fidei et probitatis
Unicum reliquit filium
Arthurum et tres filias
Franciscam, Beatrice (m) et Iana (m)
Placide in Domino obdormivi vicesimo nono die Aprilis
Anno Domini 1641.
Maria uxor ejus (qua cum conjunctissime vixerat pene annos 44, quæque suos cineres cum ipsius miscer admodum exoptat) Mærens, Dolensque posuit.
(In English: Here lies Anthony Lowe, Esq., a most skilful barrister of the Inner Temple: a man of old-fashioned honour and probity. He left an only son Arthur and three daughters, Frances, Beatrice and Jane. He fell asleep peacefully in the Lord the 29th day of April, A. D. 1641. Maria, his wife, with whom he had lived most unitedly for nearly 44 years, and whose chief desire is that her own ashes should be mingled with his, erected this (monument) in grief and sorrow.)
The shield has these arms carved:
Lowe. Gules, two wolves passant argent—in chief a molet for difference. (The yellow appearance is probably due to age and varnish. (fn. 55))
He was churchwarden in the year 1619. He appears in the Lay Subsidy rolls of 1623 and 1624 (fn. 56) assessed at £10 in land, and lived in the second house (west) on the south side of Middle Street, then called Rugman's Row.
James Rivers (of Comb, Sussex), 1641. This is a marble monument on the east side of the entrance to the south chapel, and has,
in an oval panel, on each side of which is a classical column, an
alabaster carved effigy of James Rivers. It is a half-length figure
with a belt across the chest and in the right hand the hilt of a sword.
It is generally supposed to be the work of Hubert le Sueur, the French
sculptor who lived in the parish (fn. 57) (pl. CI a). Above is a shield, helmet
and crest; below is a tablet on which is inscribed:
Within this hollow vault here rests ye frame
Of that high soul wch. late inform'd ye same
Torne from ye service of ye state in 's prime
By a disease malignant (fn. 58) as the time
Who's life and death design'd no other end
Than to serve God his country and his friend;
Who when ambition rytanny and pride
Conquer'd the age, conquer'd himself and dy'd.
Here lyeth ye Body of James Rivers Esq. (Sonne
and Heir of John Rivers of Chafford (fn. 59) in ye County of Kent (Baront) who married Charity Dautr and Cohers of Sr. John Shurly, of Isfield in ye Couy of Suss'x, Who died June ye 8th 1641.
On the shield are these arms carved:
Rivers. Azure, two bars dancetté or, in chief three bezants: impaling
Shurley (of Sussex). Bendy of eight azure, a canton ermine. (Burke gives it as paly bendy of eight, and Berry's Sussex Pedigrees as bendy of six.)
We learn from the parish registers that he was buried on the 9th June, the day after his death, 'out of the house of W. Freake Esq. the close side' from which, and from the fact that we find no other record of him in connexion with the parish, we assume that he was staying in the Close with a friend at the time and was not resident here. He probably died of the plague as did Sir George Hastings three weeks later. His great-grandfather, Sir John Rivers, Knight, of Chafford, was Lord Mayor of London in 1573. His father, Sir George Rivers, was made a Baronet in 1621 and was still living when his son died. (fn. 60)
The monument was formerly on the south side of the quire on the spandrel over a circular pillar, (fn. 61) from whence it was moved during the restoration of 1864 because it cut into the arch mouldings. (fn. 62) It was at some period covered with black pitch, which was removed in the year 1912 when the inscription was re-written at the request and charge of a descendant, Mrs. Rivers-Moore. (fn. 63)
Edward Cooke, 1652. A marble monument (covered with black
pitch) in the south ambulatory on the west side of the entrance to
the south chapel has in the centre a carved effigy of Edward Cooke
holding in his left hand a book, on which he is writing with the pen
he holds in his right hand. Above is a broken pediment with a shield
and crest; below the effigy is a plain tablet, and below the tablet
another shield. On the tablet is inscribed:
Hic inhumatum succubat, quantum terrestre viri
Vere venerandi, Edwardi Cooke Philosophi
Apprime docti nec non Medici spectatissimi
Qui tertio Idus Augusti Anno Dom. 1652.
Annoq (ue) ætatis 39 certa resurgendi spe
(utinecesse) naturæ concessit.
Unsluce yor briny floods, what! can yee keepe
Yor eyes from teares and see the marble weepe,
Burst out for shame: or if yee find noe vent
For teares, yet stay, and see the stones relent.
(In English: Here lies interred all that is mortal of a truly reverend man, Edward Cooke, an exceedingly learned Philosopher as well as a very notable man of medicine, who, on the third of the ides (the 11th) of August A. D. 1652, and in the 39th year of his age, yielded perforce to nature in the sure hope of a resurrection.)
On the upper shield are carved:
Cooke. Gules, three crescents or, on a canton of the last a martlet, sable.
Crest—a leopard passant collared.
On the lower shield is carved the above coat impaling
Wade. Sable, a saltire between four escallop shells, or.
He married Mary Wade, of Hampstead, in 1645.
Edward Cooke is described in the Parish Register (fn. 64) in the record of his burial on the 14th of August 1652 as 'Doctor of Physick'. Otherwise his name does not occur in the parish records. His father, also Edward Cooke, occurs in the charter of the Society of Apothecaries, of which he was a Fellow in 1617. (fn. 65)
Formerly this monument was on the opposite side of the south ambulatory, where it filled one of the stilted arches at the south-east corner of 'Purgatory'. The restoration of the apse necessitated its removal in 1864.
Ellis Yonge, 1659. A small alabaster monument below the east
window of the south aisle (formerly on the south side of the quire)
has a tablet on which is inscribed:
Here lieth the body of Ellis Yonge Esq., one of the secondaries in the office of the King's Majesties Remembrancer in the court of exchequer who dyed the 26th of July, 1659, and in the eleventh year of his Ma'tie's Raigne, (fn. 66) being aged 63 years.
Above is a shield emblazoned with these arms impaled:
1. Ermine, a lion rampant or;
2. Azure, a cross or.
These arms are not those recorded of any Yonge or Young family. (fn. 67)
The name does not seem to appear in the burial or other parochial register: neither is there anything to show that he had any connexion with the church or parish. He left a nuncupative will of no interest. (fn. 68)
John Millett, 1660. In the south aisle, on the wall west of the
ancient sacristy door (i. e. the first bay east of the south transept) is
an alabaster monument, with pilasters on the sides ornamented with
various mariners' instruments. Between these is a tablet with
a smaller one below and a shield above. On the tablet is incised:
Captain John Millett Mariner 1660.
Many a storm and tempest past
Here hee hath quiet anchor cast
Desirous hither to resort
Because this parish was the port
Whence his wide soul set forth and where
His father's bones intrusted are.
The Turkey and the Indian trade;
Advantage by his dangers made;
Till a convenient fortune found,
His honesty and labours crown'd.
A just faire dealer he was knowne,
And his estate was all his owne
Of which hee had a heart to spare
To friendshipp and the poore a share.
And when to time his period fell
Left his kind wife and children well
Who least his virtues dye unknowne
Commit his memory to this stone.
Obijt anno ætatis 59 anno domini 1660 December 12°.
On the shield these arms are carved:
Millett. Gules, a cinquefoil pierced or.
The parish registers confirm the statement made on the tablet that John Millett had been, unlike the three preceding persons commemorated, a parishioner; for there are records of the burial of five John Milletts. The first, buried in 1626, was probably the father referred to on the tablet. The two buried in 1633 and 1636 respectively were both sons of John Millett and Judith his wife. The one buried in 1649 was the son of John Millett, and probably was the son John who was baptized in 1645 and who was then described as the son of John and Judith Millett. The fifth John Millett, buried in 1668, may have been another brother, or he may have been John, the son of Richard and Susan Millett, christened in 1637. We may therefore assume that there were three and perhaps four brothers all named John, which illustrates the practice, then not uncommon, to give, when a child died, the same name to his successor.
In his will, dated the 20th October 1658, (fn. 69) he describes himself as 'of Wandsworth, Surrey, Mariner'. He willed to be buried here 'as near as may be' to his 'father, mother and children' and to 'have a broad stone layed over with an epitaph engraven thereon'. There is, however, no entry of his burial here in the parochial register, though there is of that of his widow in 1662. He left some brewhouses and dyehouses in Cocke and George Yard, Thames Street, to his son Nicholas, and the lease of two houses in Long Lane to his daughter Elizabeth. The will is witnessed by John Whiting—probably the elder.
Thomas Roycroft, 1677. In the south aisle, in the second bay
west of the entrance to the south chapel, is a classical monument
with marble columns on each side of a tablet with the backs of six
books below and a shield with a small helmet above. On the tablet
Hic juxta situs est
Thomas Roycroft Armiger
Linguis orientalibus Typographus Regius
Placidissimis moribus et antiquâ Probitate ac Fide Memorandus
Quorum gratiâ optimi civis famâ jure merito adeptus est
Militæ Civicæ vice tribunus Nec minus apud Exteros Notus
Ob Libros elegantissimis suis Typis Editos Inter quos sanctissimum illud Bibliorum Polyglottorum Opus quam maximè eminet
Obiit die 10 Augusti anno reparatæ salutis mdclxxvii
Postquam lvi ætatis suæ annum implevisset
Parenti Optime Merito Samuel Roycroft
Filius unicus, hoc Monumentum pie posuit.
(In English: Near here is laid Thomas Roycroft Esquire, the King's Printer in Eastern languages. Memorable for his most gentle character and old-fashioned uprightness and faith, by reason of which he deservedly obtained the reputation of an excellent citizen. He was Lieutenant of the City Militia. Nor was he less renowned among foreigners on account of the books published in his most elegant type, among which that most sacred work of the Polyglot Bible is of chief eminence. He died on the 10th August in the Year of Redemption 1677 after he had completed the 66th year of his age. To a parent who so well deserved it, Samuel Roycroft, his only son, piously erected this monument.)
This monument was originally on the north side of the presbytery where it cut into the arcading of Rahere's tomb on the east side above the priests' door. In 1864 it was removed to the east ambulatory and placed in the bay north of the Lady Chapel. In 1913 it was found that it covered a narrow twelfth-century passage or window through the wall of the church; it was therefore moved in 1914 to its present position. Among the papers in the belfry cupboard is a builder's estimate, dated 13th January 1792, 'To paint Roycroft monument variegated marbles and properly varnish the same' (also to gild 479 letters, &c.) '£5 4s. 2d.' 'To be done in every respect equal to Mildmay's monument' (there was another monument 'in the southeast angle of the chancel' with 968 letters, to be treated in the same way).
A biographical note of Thomas Roycroft will be found in the chapter
on the inhabitants of the parish, (fn. 70) also of his son Samuel, who was
commemorated on a flat stone in the chancel inscribed:
H. R. I. P. Samuel Roycroft de hac Parochia, generosus, quod mortale habuit deposuit Nonis Februarii, mdccxvi. Ætat. Suæ lx. (fn. 71)
(In English: Here rests in peace Samuel Roycroft of this parish, gentleman: what was mortal of him he put off on the nones (the 5th) of February 1716. Aged 60 years.)
John and Margaret Whiting, 1681, 1680. In the centre bay in the north ambulatory is a marble monument consisting of a square tablet in a foliated frame with three festoons below, in the centre one of which is a shield with some traces of arms. Above the tablet are three shields with arms, and over the centre one is a helmet and crest. The tablet is thus inscribed:
Neare this place lye buried the bodies of
John Whiting and Margaret his
wife who lived lovingly together
in holy wedlock in this parish 40
yeares and upward and dyed in peace
the said Margaret dyed on Easter
day 1680 in the 61st yeare of her age and He
dyed the 16th day of July 1681 being 74 yeares
old having had issue 12 children John
Rebecca and Sarah onely surviving.
Johannes in memoriam optimorum parentum hoc monumentum posuit.
Shee first deceased, Hee for a little Tryd
To live without her, likd it not and dyd.
The centre shield above has carved: Smalpace, Sable an inescutcheon within an orle of martlets or, and the crest an heraldic antelope trippant argent supporting a broken spear-head point downward or. To the left hand an emblazoned shield quarterly, I and IV, Shipham, or, a cinquefoil between six cross crosslets fitchée … II. Sable a saltire argent (the colours doubtful). III. . . . a chief … (?)sa … The shield to the right has I and IV Smalpace as above, the colours only partly remaining; II and III. . . . a bend or, impaling the quarterly coat on the left side. On the shield at the foot of the monument there can be just traced three roundels in chief; we may therefore conclude that it is the coat of Whiting, viz. Per saltire azure and ermine a leopard's face or and in chief three bezants. (The Rev. John Whiting, S.T.P., rector of St. Martin's Vintry, married a daughter of Shipham.) There is a large freestone shield over this monument, but it does not belong to it, and the arms are quite obliterated from the crumbling surface.
The last two lines of the inscription are adapted from those written in 1625 by Sir Henry Wotton (fn. 72) on the death of the wife of Sir Albert Morton, which begin 'He first deceased', &c.
He appears in the Vestry Minute Books from 1666 to 1676 as signing the minutes with Thos. Roycroft and others. He was buried in the church on the 20th July (1681), and as he was buried in linen his executors paid £2 10s. to the churchwarden for the use of the poor. (fn. 75) His widow Margaret was buried here, also in linen, on the 15th April 1680, but her Christian name has not been entered in the register. (fn. 76)
The parish registers show that all his twelve children were baptized at the church. His son John, who erected this monument, endowed the parish schools and is commemorated by a tablet in the quire. (fn. 77) His son James, who died in 1676, and 'seven of his brethren' also had a memorial stone in the floor, which has now disappeared.
John Kellond, 1685. On the south wall of the quire above the
compound pier is an oval stone draped tablet with three cherub heads;
it is surmounted by a shield and crest; below is a smaller tablet for
the date. On the larger tablet is inscribed:
Hæc juxta marmora siti sunt cineres juvenis amabilis
Johannis Kellond Armigeri a lachrymis temperate parentes
Flebunt interitum quem tegunt
Marmor et cælum
Nec Lampade vigilate perenni
Custodiant urnam quas coluit virtutes
Candor et Innocentia
Filius Fuit olim dilectissimus
Solatium fuit jam desiderium
Johannis Kellond Armig: de Painsford in comitatu Devoniæ et tritissimæ Matris
Bridgettæ, Johannis Fownes nuper de
Whilley Armiger: in eodem agro sororis ex utraq (ue) familia illustri
Proles non Ignobilis
Jam juxta Reliquias Avunculi sui
Thomaæ Fownes de hac Parochia quondam Ar: (migeri)
Cui sanguine fuit Agnatus
Hic vicino etiam cinere quiescit.
(In English: Near this marble are laid the ashes of a lovable youth, John Kellond, Esquire. Restrain yourselves from tears, ye parents, marble and sky will weep for the death they cover; watch not with an ever burning torch; let the virtues, simplicity and innocence which he cultivated guard his tomb. The dearly loved son was once the comfort, but now the loss of John Kellond Esq. of Painsford, in the county of Devon, and of his sorrowing mother Bridget, sister of John Fownes, late of Whilley, Esquire, in the same county, a not unworthy offspring of each illustrious stock. He now rests here near the remains of his uncle Thomas Fownes, formerly of this parish Esquire, to whom he was close in blood and is now close also in his tomb. He died on the 2nd day of July in the year of salvation 1685 (and) of his age 19.)
Kellond (or Kelland): Sable a fess and in chief three fleurs-de-lis, argent, on the fess a crescent for difference of a second son. Crest, a demi heraldic tiger salient or, maned argent. (fn. 78)
There seems no legitimate reason why this young man should be commemorated in the church at all. There are no records in the parish books concerning his parents, and the only one concerning himself is that of his burial, which runs: (fn. 79) 'John Kellond Esqr. of the county of Devonshiere was buryed the 3rd of July, 1685, in Mr. Master's Pewe', and in the margin is recorded (regarding the law enforcing burial in woollen) 'affidavit made ye 4th of July, 1685, before Sir Thomas Orby Kt. Baronet, County of Middlesex'. The Mr. Master mentioned in the register would be James Master, himself buried in the church. It is probable that the reason given for his burial here was that his maternal grandparents, Thomas and Hester Fownes, lived for forty years or more in the parish, for their son John was baptized here in August 1653, (fn. 80) their daughter Elizabeth in November 1657, (fn. 81) and their son Charles in April 1660. (fn. 82) The grandmother Hester was buried here in July 1690, (fn. 83) and also a George Fownes from the Mercers' Chapel in June 1702. (fn. 84)
James Master, 1702, Ann Master, 1705. On the south wall of the south ambulatory, next to Prior Bolton's door on the east side, is a large plain monument with an oblong tablet, flanked with pilasters, above which is a pediment with a shield, and below a semicircular tablet commemorating Streynsham Master, the naval captain, not buried here. On the tablet is inscribed:
Near this place lies ye body
of James Master of East Langdon in ye county
Of Kent, Esq. he married Joyce only daughter of
Sr. Christopher Tornor of Milton-Ernest in ye
County of Bedford, Kt., one of ye Barons of ye Court of Exchequer in ye reign of King Charles ye 2 by whom he had 4 sons and 10 daughters. He departed this life
Aug: 9th 1702 Aged 75
He was ye son of Richard Master of East
Langdon Esq. by Ann his wife daughter of
Sr. James Oxenden of Dean, in ye Parish of Wingham in ye County of Kent, by whom the said Richd. Master had twelve sons and eight daughters. She died Jan. 30th 1705
Aged 99 years and six months and lies interred in this place.
He ye said Richard Master was the son of Sir Edward Master of the same place Kt. Governor of Dover Castle by Audery one of ye daughters and coheirs of
Robt. Streynsham (fn. 85) of Ospring in ye said County Esq.
Streynsham Master the only surviving son of James Master Esq. married Elizabeth only daughter and heir of
Richard Oxenden of Brook in ye Parish of Wingham in ye County of Kent Esq. and departed this life June 22, 1724, Aged 42 years being married 4 months, and lies there interred leaving no issue.
The said Streynsham Master
Commanded several ships in ye Royal Navy and did in ye year 1718 particularly distinguish himself in ye Engagement against ye Spaniards
On ye coast of Sicily; by forcing the Spanish Admiral in Chief to surrender to him.
The shield has these arms impaled:
1. and 4. Master. Azure, a fess embattled between three griffins' heads erased or.
2. Streynsham. Or, a pale indented gules.
3. Wightman. (fn. 86) Argent, on a bend engrailed gules between three Cornish choughs proper three leopards' faces or.
4. Master. As above.
Turnor, Erms, on a cross quarterly pierced argent four fers de molines sable; in the centre of the cross an annulet argent.
This monument, according to a water-colour painting by William Evans of Eton (now in possession of the author), was, in the year 1836, on the wall facing its present position. This James Master (fn. 87) of East Langdon lived in this parish (as is shown by the rate books of 1676 to 1686) at what is now 67 Bartholomew Close, the west end of the ancient frater. He apparently moved from the parish before his death, because the entry in the burial register of 13th August 1702 says 'from the parish of St. Andrew's Holborn'. He was, as stated on the tablet, one of a family of twelve sons and eight daughters. Of his own four sons and ten daughters the parish registers record the baptism here of the eldest son, Streynsham, in March 1681; and of three daughters, Diana in 1683, Bridgett in 1685, and Lucy in 1688. His aged mother's burial is thus recorded in the register, 'Madam Ann Master was buried from Red Lyon Streete in Holborn, Feby. 4, 1704/5 (certificate on the file), (fn. 88) aged above 100'.
The only surviving son, Streynsham, (fn. 89) referred to on the tablet, died in 1724. He was Captain of the Superbe, and it was at the battle of Cape Passaro, 1718, that he distinguished himself.
John Whiting, 1704, Mary Whiting, 1727. On the north wall
of the quire above the compound piers is an alabaster oval tablet
(pl. CI b, p. 462) surrounded with drapery, garlands, and two cherub
heads. Above is a helmet and shield with these arms:
Whiting. Per saltire argent and ermine a leopard's face or, in chief three bezants.
This monument commemorates the son of John Whiting, referred
to above, the benefactor of the schools. On the tablet is inscribed:
that was mortal of
Mr. Jno. Whiting
of ye Tower of London, Gent.
He was a man of an exemplary life
sincere to his Friends
To ye Indigent charitable
To all affable.
He served with great reputation in ye office
of Her Majesty's Ordnance, in ye reign of King Charles
the 2nd King James, King William and Queen Mary
and in ye first year of her present Majesty Queen Anne
Disengaged himself from all public business
The better to prepare
For his blessed change
He left this world ye 20th day of Octor. Anno Domini 1704 Ætatis 64
In full assurance of a joyful
He bequeathed for the educating 20 poor children of the Parish
In which he was Borne 29 P (fn. 90) pr
ann (after ye Decease of his
Beloved Wife) for ever.
Mention has already been made of this John Whiting when describing the monument he erected to his father's memory. (fn. 91) Reference has also been made to his benefaction to the school. (fn. 92) An extract from his will is printed in the Appendix, (fn. 93) from which it appears that he married a widow, for he made a bequest 'to my kinsman William Reede sonne of my well-beloved wife Mary', the will and the registers are silent as to her having borne him any children.
The record of his burial (fn. 94) in the south ambulatory reads thus: 'Mr. John Whiteing died the 20th day of October, 1704, in ye Tower. Buried from Cooke's Hall ye 26 of Oct. 1704 in ye church', from which it appears that, at that time at any rate, he was not resident in the parish; or his body would not have been conveyed to Cooke's Hall (on the east side of Aldersgate Street). That he should have died in the Tower, although he had relinquished his post there, suggests that he died there suddenly when visiting his former colleagues. As his widow lived for twenty-four years after his death, the schools had a long time to wait before coming into their inheritance. The register says she was 'buried from dedford' (Deptford), 13 October 1727. (fn. 95)
Henry Tulse, 1705. On the west wall of the south transept is
a plain tablet surmounted by a shield and a wreath of flowers, from
which the crest has gone: below is carved an ornamented face.
On the tablet is inscribed:
Near this monument
Lieth the body of
Henry Tulse Son of
Henry Tulse of Lym ington in the county of Southampton Esq. who Departed this life ye 26th Day of Augt. 1705 in the 25 year of his age.
This tablet is shown in the picture by William Evans of Eton, already
referred to, as being in the year 1836 on the south-east pier of the
apse in the south ambulatory. Malcolm describes it as being behind
the altar. (fn. 96) The arms on the shield are almost obliterated; but
a bend can be traced between two dolphins or, so they are probably
those of Sir Henry Tulse, Lord Mayor in 1684, which were:
Sable, a bend nebulée (wavy) between two dolphins embowed or. Crest—A dolphin embowed argent finned or. (fn. 97)
This is another instance of a non-parishioner being granted a memorial in the church. The entry of his burial on the 31st August 1705 is the only parochial record concerning him. It states that he was buried here 'from Hornsey' and that 'he was an apprentice to Mr. Crosfield late of ye parish'; (fn. 98) a flimsy reason for burial and commemoration in the church of St. Bartholomew the Great.
Margaret Fielder, 1739. On the south side of the south-east
pier of the crossing is a plain alabaster tablet with this inscription:
Near this place lyes the Body of Mrs. Margaret Fielder who Dyed the 18th day of July 1739 in the 57 year of her age.
She is entered in the burial register (fn. 99) as Margaret Fielding and was 'buried in the Back Ile near the vestry door'. There are no other parochial records concerning her.
Lockyer Davis, 1791, Mary Davis, 1769. In the west bay of the
north ambulatory is a large perpendicular tablet in a plain marble
frame, on which is incised:
In memory of Mr. Lockyer Davis of the Parish of St. Andrew Holborn who departed this Life April 23rd 1791 in the seventy-third Year of his Age
His Tenderness and Attention as a Husband and Father have rarely been equalled, but never exceeded.
His Integrity was inflexible
The solidity of his Judgment and
Elegance of his Manners (which were preserved by Temperance to the latest
Period of his life) rendered him at once the Instructor and Delight of a numerous Acquaintance; his Advice being ever solicited and seldom taken but with advantage. Indeed the Chasm he has left in
Society will not be readily supplied for we may truly say with the Poet 'Take him for all in all
We shall not look upon his like again'. Also Mary Davis
wife of the above Lockyer Davis who departed this Life Novr. 9th 1769 in the forty-eighth year of her age
She was an affectionate wife, a tender mother, and a sincere Friend.
He was a bookseller of some repute: why he and his wife were buried here does not appear. They were both interred 'in the west aisle behind the Constables' Pew'. (fn. 100)
Owen Perrot Edwardes, Rector, 1814. In the east bay of the
north ambulatory is a small oblong tablet in a marble frame inscribed:
Beneath this Tablet (fn. 101) are deposited the remains of The Revd. Owen Perrott Edwardes, A.M.
Forty-five years, Rector of this parish;
Who died April the xx, mdcccxiv; aged lxxxiv years.
There are no armorials. All records concerning this rector (1768–1814) are set out elsewhere. (fn. 102)
William Phillips, patron, 1828, and Mary Jane Phillips. On
a brass plate attached to the rector's quire stall (the end stall south
side) is inscribed:
In thankful remembrance of William Phillips
Patron of this priory church and
Mary Jane his wife these stalls are placed by their only son Fredk. Parr Phillips 1886.
We praise Thee O God; we acknowledge Thee to be the Lord
All the earth doth worship
Thee the Father Everlasting.
William Phillips Taylor, 1829. On the west side of Prior
Bolton's door, in the eastern end of the south aisle, is a marble monument with a tablet surmounted by a large cinerary urn and a shield
below; moved here in 1864 from the south side of the quire. On
the tablet is incised:
On the south side of the altar are deposited the remains of William Phillips Taylor of Worcester College, Oxford and Bath, Somerset, Esquire, who died Septr. 10th 1829 Aged 22 years
He was the only son of George Taylor, Esquire,
Lieut. Colonel in His Majesty's service and Companion of the most honourable order of the Bath
And grandson of the late William Phillips, Esquire
Patron of this church.
This monument was erected by an affectionate Mother to her only son.
Crest—A cubit arm erect gules, the hand grasping a dagger ppr. hilt and pomel or. Above the crest is a scroll with the motto Victoriae Signum. (fn. 103)
The burial took place on the 19th September from Wigmore Street, Cavendish Square, Rector Abbiss officiating. (fn. 104)
Mary Wheeler, 1844. On the west wall of the north ambulatory
is a perfectly plain square marble tablet on which is inscribed:
In memory of
Mrs. Mary Wheeler
Died 31st October 1824 and of Mr. Daniel Wheeler
Died 17th July 1834 aged 84 years, 68 years of this parish.
This stone is inscribed by their granddaughter
Charlotte Hart, 1866.
To the Glory of God and in memory of John Abbiss 64 years
rector of this church, this apse was rebuilt by his nephew Frederick
P. Phillips A. D. 1886.
'Let thy priests be clothed with righteousness.' (fn. 105)
'Where I am there shall also my servant be.' (fn. 106)
Mr. Abbiss is not otherwise commemorated in the church. The inscription on his tombstone at Stoke d'Abernon has been already given. (fn. 107)
William Panckridge, Rector, 1887. On a brass plate on the
quire screen, behind the rector's stall, is inscribed:
To the Glory of God and in memory of William Panckridge priest M. A. of Jesus College Cambridge
Born July 26th 1836
Died June 8th 1887
Is dedicated by his friends and
Parishioners in thankful remembrance of his efforts in restoring the fabric of this ancient Priory Church and of the spiritual blessings conferred on the parish by his devotion and work.
'They rest from their labours.'
On the back of the screen is carved in wood, running the whole length
of the screen:
'Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord.' (fn. 108)
'Remember them who have spoken unto you the Word of God: whose faith follow.' (fn. 109)
The inscription on his tombstone in Highgate cemetery has been already given. (fn. 110)
Charlotte Hart, 1891. On the west wall of the north ambulatory
is a bronze tablet on a small black marble slab, on which in raised
letters is the following inscription:
In memory of Charlotte Hart
41 years sextoness of this church born 1815 died April 3 1891. She left a large sum towards the restoration fund of this church for the erection of a pulpit and other benefactions.
Miss Hart was appointed sextoness in October 1852, and has already been referred to. (fn. 111)
Frederick John Withers, 1892. On a brass plate on the south
side of the organ case is inscribed:
To the Glory of God and in memory of Frederick John Withers this organ case was erected by his brother Henry Thomas Withers and dedicated on June 5th 1893.
Mr. F. J. Withers, during the years of the restoration, 1864–6, kept a diary, a copy of which his brother presented to the church. It has already been frequently referred to. The organ case has also been already described. (fn. 112)
The Royal Visit in 1893. The presence of Albert Edward Prince of Wales (our late King Edward VII), the Princess of Wales, the Duke of York (now King George V), the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Bishop of London, the Lord Mayor of London and others on the occasion of the reopening of the North Transept and other works on the 5th June 1893 is commemorated by shields placed on the iron grille under the north transept arch; they are emblazoned as follows (the coats are the same on each grille): In the upper row, left to right, are—
2. Queen Victoria. The Royal arms, viz.:
Quarterly 1 and 4. Gules, three leopards or (England).
2. Or, within a double tressure flory counter-flory a lion rampant gules (Scotland).
3. Azure, a harp or stringed argent (Ireland).
3. Albert Edward Prince of Wales. The Royal arms as above, differenced with a label of three points argent, over all, barry of ten or and sable a bend treflée (fn. 113) vert (Saxony).
2. The See of Canterbury. Azure, an archiepiscopal staff in pale or ensigned with a cross patée argent surmounted by a pall argent fimbriated and fringed or and charged with four crosses formées fitchées sable.
Emily Fuller Webb, 1896. On the iron band below the frieze
of the Lady Chapel screen is pierced the following inscription:
This screen is a thank offering to God for and in loving memory of
Emily Fuller Webb, died Jan. 20, 1896 the wife of one privileged to share in the restoration of this church.
The screen has been already described. (fn. 114)
William Henry David Boyle, 1897. On a brass plate on the
north wall of the Lady Chapel is engraved:
Guliemo Henrico David Boyle A.M. a Thesauro Regio qui conjugem paullo Antegressam repetens munia civilia cælestibus musica angelica Anglicam suam mutavit Nonis Fuliis A.S. mdcccxcvii ætatis suæ xxxvii Sodali dulci dilecto desiderato hanc tabellam posuere collegæ. In te [Christe] Domine.
This Latin inscription is due to Mr. Stephen Spring-Rice, at that time
an assistant secretary to the Treasury, and may be thus translated:
To William Henry David Boyle, M. A., of Her Majesty's Treasury who, seeking to rejoin his wife who had shortly preceded him, exchanged earthly functions for heavenly ones, his English (music) for angelic music on the nones of July (7th July) in the year of salvation 1897, of his age 37, this tablet was erected by his colleagues to a comrade sweet, beloved and missed. In Thee, O Lord Christ.
Above is a shield with arms—quarterly: 1st and 4th or, an eagle displayed, with two heads, gules (a coat of augmentation); 2nd and 3rd, per bend, embattled, argent and gules, for Boyle; over all, an escutcheon, or, charged with three stags' horns, erect, gules, two and one, for the paternal coat of Boyle of Kelburne. Motto: Dominus providebit.
He was a friend of Sir Borradaile Savory, the rector, and was a regular worshipper here. He was the only son of Col. William Boyle, C. B. He married in 1888 Eleanor, third daughter of the Hon. Henry Dugdale Curzon: she died 15th November, 1893. Both Mr. Boyle and his wife were talented musicians. (fn. 115)
R.A.M.C. (Volunteers). On the south wall of the Lady Chapel,
by the door, is a brass tablet inscribed:
To the Glory of God and in memory of
Pte. George William Norton Stevens
Pte. Thomas Reginald Walker
Pte. Ralph Paynter Williams
Royal Army Medical Corps
(Volunteers) Who died in the service of their country in South Africa
During the Boer War, 1899–1902
Erected by the
Officers, N. C. Officers and men of the Corps.
John Morgan Tyndale, 1900. On the west side of the north
transept below the window is a bronze tablet in a frame surmounted
by the City arms, helmet and crest, with griffin supporters and the
Royal Crown above; beneath is inscribed 'The City of London
Imperial Volunteers', and the words Dulce et decorum est pro patria
mori and 'C I V' with laurels. On the tablet is embossed:
In memory of John Morgan Tyndale a private in the regiment and also in the 1st Tower Hamlets Volunteers. Only son of
John Temple Tyndale of this parish. He died at Pretoria on the 22nd of October, 1900, during the South African
Campaign aged 20 years.
When this memorial was admitted to the church it was generally supposed that an ancestor, William Tyndale, the translator of the Bible, was ordained in this church, but no record of this being the case has been found. (fn. 116)
Joseph Grimshire, 1901. On the south side of the west porch
is a stone tablet enumerating the priors and rectors of this church
since its foundation in 1123. There are gaps in the names of the
priors between the years about 1181–1201, 1206–1213, 1213–1226,
1264–1269. Above the tablet occur again the arms of the priory
with angel supporters. At the head of the tablet is carved in raised
The Priory of St. Bartholomew and the Parish Church of St. Bartholomew the Great.
And below is carved:
In thankfulness to God for the life and work of Joseph Grimshire, a merchant of the city of London and benefactor to this church/ who died the twelfth of November 1901 this tablet is erected to his memory by some of his friends. Anno Domini 1904. (fn. 117)
The tablet is divided into three slightly sunk panels on which are the names and dates in raised letters in stone (as list already given). (fn. 118)
Canon Frederick Parr Phillips, 1903. The floor of the sanctuary was relaid in mosaic in the year 1904 at the charge of Captain Frederick Abbiss Phillips, patron, in memory of his father, and bears in mosaic the following inscription adjoining the sanctuary step:
Give unto the Lord the glory due unto His Name: bring an offering and come before Him: worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness. (fn. 119)
Sir Borradaile Savory, Baronet, M.A., Rector, 1906, is commemorated by a personal memorial in the Lady Chapel, by new
Communion rails before the high altar, and a tablet in the west porch
recording the works of restoration. The personal memorial is a stone
renaissance monument between the first and second windows on the
north wall of the Lady Chapel. On either side of the tablet are winged
figures carved on pillars supporting a broken pediment, in the centre
of which is a shield, helmet, and crest. The central tablet is inscribed
in gold letters:
In affectionate remembrance of
Sir Borradaile Savory, Baronet, M.A.
Rector of this parish 1887–1906 only son of Sir William Scovell Savory
Bart. F.R.S. sometime surgeon of St. Bartholomew's Hospital
He died Sept. 12th 1906 aged 50 years and was buried at Stoke Poges, Bucks he was a chaplain of the order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem; of the Volunteer
Medical Staff Corps; Past Grand
Chaplain of English Freemasons and President of Sion College 1905
He worked strenuously for the
spiritual welfare of the parish- ioners; and for the Restoration of the Fabric of this church.
Below this again is a small stone tablet, on which is inscribed in red:
This tablet together with the altar rails and the tablets recording the Restoration were erected by parishioners and friends. (fn. 120)
On the shield are the Savory arms as on the screen, (fn. 121) with the motto
Esse Quam Videri, and the pendant cross of a chaplain of the order
of the hospital of St. John of Jerusalem. The crest above is given as
'on a mount in front of a cubit arm ppr, the hand holding a chapeau
gules turned up arg, a serpent nowed vert between two branches of
laurel also ppr'. The Communion rails are in bronze: on the frieze
is pierced the words from the Gloria in Excelsis:
we praise Thee
we bless Thee
we worship Thee
we glorify Thee.
The tablet in the west porch is on the north wall, carved in stone
similar to the Grimshire memorial on the south wall. It is divided
into three panels, above which is carved:
'Works of Restoration to the fabric of the Church and Schools.'
J. R. Wigginton, 1908. In the back of the second quire stall on
the north side is a small metal tablet, on which is incised:
Here sang to the glory of God
Joseph Rowley Wigginton
anno Domini 1894–1908.
John Hope, 1912. On the north wall of the Lady Chapel, below
the Savory monument, is a similar bronze tablet, on which is incised:
Remember ye in the Lord
Verger of this church 1888–1912 and Master of the Parish Clerks' Company when he died 16th October, 1912.
G. Duckworth Atkin, father and mother of, 1914. On the south
wall of the quire is a small bronze tablet, on which is embossed:
This choir vestry is erected on the ancient foundations of the south chapel by G. Duckworth
Atkin in loving memory of his father and mother A. D. 1914.
T. K. Sursham, 1915. On the back of the quire stall next the rector's
stall is another bronze tablet of the same size as J. R. Wigginton's above,
on which is inscribed:
Thomas Kusel Sursham server of this church killed in action in France Sep. 25th, 1915
'Greater love hath no man than this'.
J. H. Sanderson, 1916. On the back of the quire stall on the
south side is another bronze tablet of the same size, on which is
James Henry Sanderson
7th Royal West Surrey Regt. sang here to the glory of God killed in action in France, July 1st, 1916.
Rifleman Harry Vail. On the back of another quire stall on
the south side is a bronze tablet of the same size, on which is
Rifleman Harry Vail
London Regiment sang here to the glory of God killed in action Palestine April 19th 1917.
Sapper William Hunt. On the back of another quire stall on
the north side is a bronze tablet of the same size, on which is
Sapper William Hunt
Royal Engineers sang here to the glory of God died of wounds France April 2nd 1918.
Edward Percy Caveney. On the back of another quire stall on
the north side is a bronze tablet of the same size, on which is
Edward Percy Caveney
Scots Guards sang here to the glory of God killed in action France
Aug. 25th 1918.
Harry Ely Waldron. On the back of a return quire stall on the
north side is a bronze tablet of the same size, on which is engraved:
Harry Ely Waldron
Server of this church Prisoner of war died at Le Cateau Sept. 20th 1918.
Rifleman Albert William Lockyer. On the back of a return
stall on the north side is a bronze tablet, on which is engraved:
Rifleman Albert William Lockyer
Server of this Church killed in France, May 3rd 1917.
Philip E. Webb. On the north jamb of the east door of the choir
vestry is an enamelled tablet, set in a mercurial gilt frame, on which
Keep in remembrance
Philip Edward Webb
A.R.I.B.A. 2nd Lieut. Royal
Engineers: He designed this Vestry 1913 and was killed in action in
France September 25th, 1916 the figure of Saint
Bartholomew on the gate-house was erected to his beloved memory.
On the top of the frame for a crest is a web with the motto 'Weave Well', and the badge of the Royal Engineers. The figure on the gatehouse was erected by his father and mother, Sir Aston and Lady Webb; the tablet by his uncle, a church warden.
Monuments formerly in the Church.
|'John Carleton', (fn. 122) if the prior of that name.||1362|
|'John Royston' (fn. 123)||1387|
|'Roger Walden' (fn. 124)||1406|
|'Robert, son of Sir Robert Willowby'. This may have been Robert, the second son of Robert Lord Willoughby de Eresby. (fn. 125)||cir. 1400|
|'John Watforde', (fn. 126) if the prior of that name.||cir. 1415|
|'Richard Lancaster, Herald at Arms'; this is alias Richard Brigge, (fn. 127) as already explained.||1415|
|'William Thirlewall, Esquire', already referred to. (fn. 128)||1432|
|'John Golding', to be buried before the font under a stone of marble. (fn. 129)||1450|
|'John Louth, gentleman' in his will (fn. 130) is described as Johanne Louthe de Louth and desired 'to be buried within the chapel of the Blessed Mary … near beside the wall of the same chapel on the north side'.||1458|
|'John Durem Esquire' (1474) 'and Elizabeth his wife'. In his will (fn. 131) dated 9th March 1473/4 he is described as 'John Durem, lately one of the Barons of the Exchequer' and willed 'to be buried in the church of the Priory … before the chapel of St. John the Evangelist founded in the aforesaid church': he left 6s. 8d. 'for the tolling of the great bell of the church' at his funeral. His widow Elizabeth in her will (fn. 132) desired to be buried beside her husband.||1477|
|'Eleanor, wife to Sir Hugh Fen (Fenne), mother to Margaret Lady Burgavenie.' This monument dated probably from the last quarter of the fifteenth century, for Eleanor was living when 'Hugh atte Fenne' made his will in February 1476.|
|'Sir—Bacon, Knight.' This must refer to Sir Nicholas Bacon, the Lord Keeper, unless Stow is in error, because he was the first Bacon to be knighted, and his son, also Sir Nicholas, who was knighted the year his father died (1579) did not die until 1624, or twenty-six years after Stow made his list. The Lord Keeper was at one time solicitor to the Court of Augmentations, which, through Rich, may account for his being commemorated here—(if he was so); he was buried at St. Paul's.||1578|
We are unable to suggest a date for any of the following other than
a period some time before Stow wrote (1598):
'Alice wife to Balstred, daughter to Kniffe' (Knyfe). (A John Knyf, in 1469, bequeathed a tenement in West Smithfield to St. Sepulchre's.)
'William Essex, Esquire.' (A William Essex (fn. 133) is mentioned in the will of William de Burton who willed to be buried in the church of St. John Zachary in 1368.)
'Gilbert Halstocke' (Halstoft).
'John Ludlow and Alice his wife.'
'John Malwaine' (a William Malweyn occurs in the Husting Wills in 1420). (fn. 134)
'William Scarlet, Esquire' (a William Scantilon occurs in the Husting Wills in 1386). (fn. 135)
'Robert Shikeld' (Therkeld) 'Gentleman'.
'Thomas Torald' (Torold). (A Thomas Torell occurs in the Husting Wills in 1361.)
'Richard Vancke', baron of the Exchequer, and Margaret his wife, daughter to William de la River (Rever).
'Hugh Waltar, gentleman.'
'John Warton, gentleman, and Elizabeth his wife, daughter to William Scott, esquire.'
To this list Strype, in his edition of Stow, A. D. 1720, says 'add':
'Elizabeth, wife to John Gynor, Gent.'
'Dame Elizabeth, wife of Sir William Elington.'
'Agnes, (fn. 136) wife of Edward Hungerford, Esq.'
'Jone, daughter of William Smith, Esq.'
'Jone, daughter of Richard Slade, Gent.'
'Alice, daughter of John Truffel, Gent.'
As not one of the monuments in either of the above lists, except those of Rahere and Sir Walter Mildmay, occur in the 'Catalogue of Tombs in City Churches', made by Payne Fisher in 1666, we may assume that they all had some inscription such as Ora Pro Nobis which offended the Puritans of 1642, and that they were in consequence ruthlessly destroyed at that time. To the absence of any inscription of the kind we may probably attribute the preservation of both the Rahere and the Mildmay monuments. Malcolm remarks (fn. 137) in 1803 'under the organ gallery are many broken slabs, on which there have been brass plates'. At present there are the remains of four only in the church.