The Records of St. Bartholomew's Priory and St. Bartholomew the Great, West Smithfield: Volume 2. Originally published by Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THINGS APPERTAINING TO THE CHURCH
A large chalice, silver gilt with conical cover, inscribed 'Ex dono Anthonii Burgesse 1690' and arms engraved: Argent. Six lozenges gules 3, 2, 1. A canton azure. Crest, a stag's head caboshed. (fn. 1) Inside the foot is inscribed 'St. Bartholomew the Great'. (fn. 2)
The date mark is for 1689, and maker's mark P. M. (not identified).
Measure: height 97/8 in., diameter of bowl 51/8 in., of foot 47/8 in.
Weight: of chalice 19 oz. 6 dwt., of cover 8 oz. 5 dwt.
A similar chalice and cover inscribed 'St. Bartholomew the Great Ex dono Johannis Whiting 1690' and arms engraved: Per saltire azure and ermine a leopard's face or, in chief three bezants. (fn. 3)
Date mark for 1689. Maker's mark P. M. (as above).
Measure: height 10 in., diameter of bowl 51/8 in., of foot 4¾ in.
Weight of chalice 18 oz. 19 dwt., of cover 8 oz. 6 dwt.
One large paten silver gilt inscribed 'St. Bartholomew the Great'.
Date mark and maker's mark as on chalices above.
Measure: diameter 12½ in., height 2¾ in.
Weight: 22 oz. 5 dwt.
One small chalice silver gilt inscribed on the face 'The gift of William Edwardes Lord Kensington patron of this church St. Bartholomew the Great'; inside the foot '1792'; on the back these arms engraved for Edwardes Baron Kensington: Quarterly, first and fourth ermine a lion rampant sable (for Edwardes), second and third gules a chevron between three crosses botony or (for Rich). Crest upon a mount vert a wyvern, wings expanded argent. Supporters two reindeer ppr. attired and unguled or. Motto, Garde la foi.
Date mark for 1792. Maker's mark H. C. (probably for Henry Chawner) in an oblong stamp.
Measure: height 6½ in.; diameter of bowl 3¼ in., of foot 31/8 in.
Weight: 7 oz. 2 dwt.
One small paten silver gilt with the Edwardes crest (as above) engraved. Inside the foot is engraved 1792. The maker's mark H. C. (as above); measure, diameter 45/8 in.; weight, 4 oz. 2 dwt.
One spoon perforated silver gilt. Date mark, 1774; weight, 1 oz.
One silver stand for the same.
One almsdish silver gilt inscribed: 'In usum Ecclesiae S. Barthol: Mag: D. D. M. J. Phillips Rectoris soror et nuper patroni vidua, 1830.' (fn. 4)
In the centre is engraved a cross with three passion nails surrounded by a glory and on the rim a shield with arms: Dexter—Sable, a lion rampant ducally crowned argent langued and armed gules between eight fleurs-de-lis or (Phillips). Sinister: Gules, a fesse lozengy between three scallops argent (Abbiss). (Being a woman's coat there is no crest. The Abbiss crest is a spur azure, leather sable, buckle of the first.)
Date mark for 1831. Maker's mark A. F. (Andrew Fogelberg) over S. G. (Stephen Gilbert) in a shaped shield.
Measure: 95/8 in. Weight: 15 oz. 6 dwt.
One Beadle's staff or verge with a silver head surmounted with a silver effigy
of St. Bartholomew holding a flaying knife and inscribed, on the front:
The gift of Mr. Samuel Atkins citizen & clothworker of London to the parish of St. Bartholomew the Great Anno Dom. 1731, being then churchwarden. and on the back, repaired & beautified
a. d. 1828, Richd. Bell, John Dawkins, churchwardens.
Date mark for 1730. Measure of statuette, 13 in. Weight of statuette, 22 oz. 7 dwt.
One silver snuff-box inscribed:
The gift of the Rev. John Abbiss Rector of St. Bartholomew the Great 4th May, 1826
Thomas Hestor and Henry Slade, churchwardens.
On the lid is inscribed 'S. B. G.' in an oblong.
Measure: 31/8 in. by 2 3/16 in. by 1 in. high. Weight: 6 oz. 7 dwt.
One bowl (somewhat corroded) roughly inscribed inside on the bottom with a wreath 'St. Bartholomew the Great, 1703'.
Measure: top rim 12 in. diameter, bottom 81/8 in., depth 51/8 in.
The two touch marks outside on the bottom are too faint to distinguish.
This bowl may have been used for baptismal purposes. (fn. 5)
Three large dishes or plates. Measure: top 117/8 in. in diameter.
The marks are the well-known cross surmounted by a crown (extraordinary or hard metal ware) and the touch of James Boost (fn. 6) —his name half encircling the device—a crescent and six stars. Inscribed below, 'St. Bartholomew the Great'.
Two small dishes or plates. Measure: top 97/8 in. in diameter.
The marks are the cross with the crown above and the touch of Francis Piggott, (fn. 7) Newgate St., London. Device a teazle with a crescent above. Inscribed below, 'St. Bartholomew the Great'.
The Organs. (fn. 8)
The first organ, of which there is a record as belonging to this church, is a Conobles Organ, 1715. (fn. 9)
The following from Ch. Wm. Pearce, Notes on Old London City Churches, their Organs, Organists, and Musical Associations (p. 18).
An organ was erected in St. Bartholomew's Church by Richard Bridge in
1731. According to Mr. Henry Leffler, this instrument contained:
Three setts of keys. Compass GG, short octaves to D in alt. Swell, Fiddle G to D.
Great (8 stops).—Op. Diap., 52 pipes; Stop. Diap., 52; Prin., 52; 12th, 52; 15th, 52; Tierce, 52; Sesquialtera, iv ranks (draws in halves), 208; Trumpet, 52.
Swell (6 stops).—Op. Diap., 32 pipes; Stop. Diap., 32; Prin., 32; Cornet, III ranks (a new one in the year 1800), 96; Trumpet, 32; Hautboy, 32.
Choir (4 stops).—Stop. Diap.; Prin.; (these two by communication from the Great); Flute, 52 pipes; Cremona, 52.
He calls it a very good organ all through.
His friend, the late Mr. J. W. Billinghurst (formerly vestry clerk of
St. Margaret's, Lothbury), wrote concerning this organ in 1855:
'The keys are black, the sharps having a strip of white inserted. The Diapasons are very weak, the Cremona very fair; the effect of the Swell, good.'
Some thirty years afterwards, Mr. Billinghurst added the following remarks:
'In 1865, when extensive restorations took place in the church, this organ was removed to Russell's factory, where it was lost! The church being closed for about four years, Russell died during this period, and by inadvertence the organ was sold as part of his effects.'
A small organ by Gray & Davison was erected near the chancel when the
church was re-opened for service, and this inadequate instrument gave place
to the organ now over the quire screen, which was purchased and removed
hither from St. Stephen's, Walbrook, in 1885. This organ (of which the original
case still remains at St. Stephen's) was built by George England in 1765, at
a cost of about £570, and (according to Mr. Henry Leffler) contained the
Three setts of keys, GG long octaves to E. Swell to G.
Great (11 stops).—Op. Diap., 57 pipes; Stop. Diap., 57; Prin., 57; Nason, 57; 12th, 57; 15th, 57; Sesquialtera, IV ranks, 228; Mixture, 11 ranks, 114; Cornet to C, v ranks, 145; Trumpet, 57; Clarion, 57.
Swell (8 stops).—Op. Diap., 34 pipes; Stop. Diap., 34; Prin., 34; German flute, 34; Cornet, III ranks, 132; Trumpet, 34; Hautboy, 34; Clarion, 34.
Choir (6 stops).—Dulciana to G, 46 pipes; Stop. Diap., 57; Flute, 57; 15th, 57; French Horn, 39; Vox Humana, 57.
A very good organ.
In 1825 Mr. Gray added a second Open Diapason to the Great Organ (in
place of the V rank Cornet) and an octave and a half of Unison Pedal pipes with
a Great to Pedal coupler. Many years afterwards the organ was enlarged and
improved by Messrs. Hill & Son, as follows:
Great (II stops).—Op. Diap. (No. 1), 8 ft.; Op. Diap. (No. 2), 8 ft.; Stop. Diap. (metal treble), 8 ft.; Prin., 4 ft.; Nason (open wood), 4 ft. (this stop is now labelled 'Wald Flute'); 12th, 22/3 ft.; 15th, 2 ft.; Mixture, IV ranks; Furniture, III ranks; Trumpet, 8 ft.; Clarion, 4 ft.
Swell (11 stops).—Bourdon, 16 ft.; Op. Diap., 8 ft.; German Flute (metal grooved to Op. Diap. in bass octave), 8 ft.; Stop. Diap. (metal treble), 8 ft.; Prin., 4 ft.; 12th and 15th (22/3 and 2 ft.); Mixture, IV ranks; Dble. Trumpet, 16 ft.; Oboe, 8 ft.; Trumpet, 8 ft.; Clarion, 4 ft.
Choir (9 stops).—Keraulophon, 8 ft.; Dulciana (grooved to Keraulophon in bass octave), 8 ft.; Stop. Diap. (metal treble), 8 ft.; Prin., 4 ft.; Stop. Flute (treble metal open), 4 ft.; 15th, 2 ft.; Clarinet, 8 ft.; French Horn, 8 ft.; Vox Humana, 8 ft.
Pedal (3 stops).—Op. Diap., 16 ft.; Bourdon, 16 ft.; Trombone, 16 ft.
Couplers (5).—Sw. to Gt.; Sw. to Ch.; Sw. to Ped.; Gt. to Ped.; Ch. to Ped.
Accessories.—3 comp. peds. to Gt.; 2 ditto to Sw.
Compass.—Manuals, CC to g in altissimo; Pedal, CC to f.
Since the organ has been erected in St. Bartholomew's the Swell and Choir
specifications have been altered as follows:
Swell (12 stops).—Bourdon, 16 ft.; Op. Diap., 8 ft.; German Flute, 8 ft.; Vox Angelica, 8 ft.; Prin., 4 ft.; 12th, 22/3 ft.; 15th, 2 ft.; Mixture, IV ranks; the four reeds as before.
Choir (9 stops).—Keraulophon, 8 ft.; Dulciana, 8 ft.; Hohl Flute, 8 ft.; Gamba, 4 ft.; Suabe Flute, 8 ft.; 15th, 2 ft.; French Horn, 8 ft.; Clarinet, 8 ft.; Vox Humana, 8 ft.
Inventories of Church Goods.
The first inventory dates from 1574 and has already been given in full. (fn. 10)
The second Inventory of 1668 is as follows:
An Inventory of sevrall the Goods & Chatels of the parish of S. Bartholomew the Great London belonging to the church now in the Custody & charge of the Churchwardens.
|Item 1||Green velvit Pulpit Cloth & Quishin.|
|" 1||Crimsin Satin Pulpit Cloth & a purple damisk Quishin.|
|" 2||Lining table Cloathes.|
|" 1||Purple Table Cloath Velvit.|
|" 1||Green searge Table cloth.|
|" 1||Green brodclot table cloth in the Vestry.|
|" 2||Bearing Cloathes one of them new in the chest.|
|" 1||Silver flagon.|
|" 1||Silver Chalice.|
|" 1||Silver & gilt boule & cover.|
|" 1||Silver boule & cover.|
(Items of no interest.)
Dr. Wesfeild's picktor.
(Items of no interest.)
|" 2||Brasse Candlesticks.|
|" 3||Brasse Sprigs for the pulpit.|
|" 1||ffolio Booke intitled the woorkes of Bishop Juell.|
|" 3||Regestar Bookes in parchment.|
|" 1||Bible & 2 sarvis bookes.|
|" 2||Owar Glassis. (fn. 1)|
|" 6||Wooden boxes used for collections for the poore.|
|A large new water engine with all utensills thereto belonging and also two Large Leathers one forty foute & the other thirty fout in lenth.|
|George Smith and John Birkhead||
16 March 1668.
The third is as follows:
Inventory 1690 (fn. 12)
Hereunto is annexed a particular of all the Church ornaments as they now remain.
|Imprimis.||Two large Silver Cupps Covers Guilt with Gold.|
|Item.||A large plate & Challice Guilt with Gold.|
|"||A purple Velvett Pullpit Cloth and Cusheon with Rich gold fringe and Gold letters.|
|"||A purple velvett Communion Table Cloth with Gold and silk fringe.|
|"||A Blake velvet Pall.|
|"||A Blake Cloth Pall.|
|"||A Damask Communion Table Cloth and napkin.|
|"||Four large Pewter Flaggons and a pewter Bason.|
|"||A velvet cusseon for the Communion Table.|
|"||Two Brass Branches.|
|"||Brass scales and weights.|
|"||A large Turkey worke Carpitt and a leather carpet.|
|"||A green Cloth for the Communion Table.|
|"||Two surplices and an Hood.|
|"||A large folio Bible Two Common Prayer Books and a book of homiles.|
|William Cresfield Richard Burgis||Churchwardens. (fn. 13)|
The fourth is as follows:
Appertaining to the Sanctuary:
Appertaining to the quire:
Clergy & quire stalls for 14 men & 24 boys.
Oak quire screen.
|1||organ, 3 manuals.|
|1||carved oak case for same.|
|1||brass eagle lectern, (fn. 14) rail & wooden steps.|
|8||oak book rests for congregation.|
|1||pulpit, Hopton stone.|
|26||bookmarkers, 8 red, 6 white, 7 purple, 5 green.|
|5||pulpit fauls, 1 " 2 " 1 " 1 "|
|1||oak seat with sword rack for corporation.|
|1||Large Bible for lectern.|
|1||Oak parish chest with three locks.|
|14||Bibles, 12 prayer books, 100 hymn books for congregation, 1 piano, 2 harmoniums, and other things of minor importance.|
Appertaining to the baptistry:
|1||Stone font (fifteenth century).|
|1||Oak cover for font.|
|1||Large metal crook to support cover.|
|1||Baptismal water bucket.|
|1||Baptismal mother of pearl shell.|
Appertaining to the belfry:
|5||Bells with mark of Thomas Bullesden with dedications Saints Bartholomew, Katherine, Anna, John Baptist, & Peter.|
|1||Clock bell & clock.|
|1||Warner's chiming apparatus.|
Various minor things appertaining to the sacristry and vestry with an iron parish safe containing registers, vestry minute book, Deeds, &c., 22 framed pictures, &c., on the walls. A parish map.
THE BENEFACTION BOARDS (fn. 15)
No. 1 on the west wall of the church over doorway to organ loft.
Benefactions to the Church and Poor.
Henry Seagood and Matt. Poole.
No, 2. Left half of double board fixed to west wall of church.
Benefactors to the Church and Poor.
No. 3. On a board stored in crypt.
Benefactors to the Charity Schools.
|1733–1740||The Worshipful Company of Ironmongers gave||20||15||0|
|1749||The same Company gave||26||5||6|
|1751||Mr. Christopher Woodward gave the interest of Fifty pounds for ever||50||0||0|
|1753||Mrs. Martha Johnson gave||20||0||0|
|1756||Mr. Alban Leafe gave||20||0||0|
|1757||Mr. Samuel Atkins gave||10||0||0|
|Mr. Johnathan Thornell gave||20||0||0|
|1758||Mr. Thomas Clement gave||100||0||0|
|1749–1758||The Worshipful Company of Ironmongers gave||38||1||0|
|1760||Mrs. Eliz. Weldale gave||50||0||0|
|1762||Mrs. Sarah Clement gave||10||0||0|
|or 1764||Mr. Marsh or Meads gave||(somewhat obliterated)||10||0||0|
|The above Mr. Woodward left ¼ of the residue of his Estate which in 1765 was paid by Mr. Roe and laid out in Old S.S. An. (fn. 16)||58||17||3½|
|1758||Received from the Ironmongers' Company||38||18||9|
No. 4. Right half of double board on west wall of the church.
Benefactors to the Charity Schools.
Note.—The bottom part of this board has been cut away
No. 5. On a board stored in the crypt.
Benefactions to the Infant and Sunday Schools.
No. 6. On a board stored in the crypt.
Benefactions to the Charity Schools.
|1837–1850||The Worshipful Company of Ironmongers.||48||5||0|
|1850–1857||The Worshipful Company of Ironmongers.||34||8||6|
|1857||Mr. James Terry, Ironmonger. Ch. warden 1856–1857.||5||5||0|
|1858||Mr. Benjamin Lacy||10||0||0|
|James Terry.||Thomas Stinchcombe.|
No. 7. On a board stored in the crypt.
Benefactions to the Charity Schools.
|1837–June 1841||The Society of Patrons||23||0||0|
|1853||Miss Hardwick, To the Girls' School Building Fund||200||0||0|
No. 8. On a board stored in the crypt.