The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 3. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1797.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
WESTWARD from Chevening lies SUNDERIDGE, written in most antient deeds Sundrish, which appears to have been its proper name, though now it is in general both written and called Sundridge. In Domesday it is written Sondresse, and in the Textus Roffensis, Sunderersce.
The VILLAGE of Sundridge is situated on the high road leading to Westerham, which crosses the middle of this parish, as does the river Darent, in a double stream, a little to the northward of it; hence the ground rises still further northward for near a mile and a half to the great ridge of chalk hills, where it is little more than a mile in width; midway to the foot of these hills, is the seat of Combebank, the hamlet of Oveney'sgreen, and the seat of Overden, the residence of the dowager lady Stanhope. Just below the village, southward, is the seat not many years since belonging to Tho. Mompesson, esq. who lies buried in the church yard, under a monument, with his brother Henry, who was murdered by robbers in France; it is now the residence of Edward Peach, esq. who is related to the Mompessons by his mother, wife of the Rev. Mr. Peach, rector of Titsey, in Surry. Mr. Peach married, in 1790, Mrs. Elizabeth Leathes, widow of the reverend Edward Leathes, rector of Rodeham, in Norfolk. Near the above seat is the church, and close by it the antient scite of Sundridge-place, on which is now only a farm-house; and about a half a mile eastward the manor of Dryhill, formerly the estate of the Isleys, and now of Mr. Woodgate of Summerhill. Southward from hence the parish extends three miles to the great ridge of sand hills, about midway to which is Brook's-place, near which there is on each side both coppice woods, and much rough ground, and the land becomes very poor. On the top of the hills is the hamlet, called Ide-hill. These hills separate the upland district from that below it, called the Weald, the part above them being distinguished by the name of Sundridge Upland, as that below it is by the name of Sundridge Weald, in the same manner as the other parishes are in the same situation. Near the foot of these hills, in the Weald, is the estate of Hendon, where the foil becomes a stiff clay and a strong tillage land.
SUNDRIDGE was, in very early times, part of the possessions of the see of Canterbury. In the reign of king Edward the Confessor, Godwin unjustly withheld it from the archbishop. After the conquest, Odo, the powerful bishop of Baieux, and half brother to the Conqueror, took possession of it; but archbishop Lanfranc recovered it again, in the solemn assembly of the whole county, at Pinenden-heath, in 1076, together with other estates, which had been unjustly taken from his church.
The archbishop himself holds Sondresse. It was taxed at one suling and a half. The arable land is . . . . . . . In demesne there are three carucates and 27 villeins, with nine borderers, having eight carucates. There are eight servants, and three mills and a half of 13 shillings and a half. There are eight acres of meadow; wood for the pannage of 60 bogs. There is a church. In the whole, in the time of king Edward the Confessor, it was worth 12 pounds, when be received it, 16 pounds, and now 18 pounds, yet be pays 23 pounds, and one knight in the service of the archbishop.
In the reign of king Henry III. the manor of Sundrish was held of the archbishop of Canterbury, by the family of Apulderfield, from whom it passed to that of Fremingham; one of whom, Sir Ralph de Fremingham, paid aid for it in the 20th of king Edward III. at the making the Black Prince a knight, as one knight's see, which Henry de Apuldrefield formerly held in Sundreshe of the archbishop.
Sir Ralph de Fremingham resided at Farningham, in this county, of which he was sheriff in the 32d year of king Edward III. and died the next year. His son, John de Fremingham, was of Lose, and was sheriff of Kent in the 2d and 17th years of Richard II. He died in the 13th year of king Henry IV. leaving no issue by Alice his wife, being at the time of his death possessed of this manor, (fn. 1) which he gave to his kinsman and next heir, Roger Isley, and his heirs male. This family of Isle or Isley, called in French deeds, L'Isle, and in. Latin ones, De Insula, was seated in this parish in early times, and John de Insula obtained a charter of free warren to his lands in Sundrish, in the 11th year of king Edward II. whose grandson, Roger Isley, married Joane, sister of Sir Ralph de Fremingham. Their son, John, left Roger Isley, esq. of Sundridge; who, on the death of his kinsman, John de Fremingham of Lose, without issue, in the 13th year of king Henry IV. inherited the manor of Sundridge by his gift, as above mentioned. (fn. 2) They bore for their arms, Ermine, a fess gules.
Roger Isley, above mentioned, died possessed of this manor in 1429, leaving two sons, William and John, the former of whom inherited this manor in fee tail. He was sheriff in the 25th year of king Henry VI. and died possessed of it in the 3d of king Edward IV. holding it of Thomas, archbishop of Canterbury, by knights service, and the yearly rent of 22l. 12s. as was found by the inquisition, taken at St. Mary Cray, in the next year after his death; and that he also died possessed of the manor of Dreyhill, and messuages called Brooke place, Blounte's tenement, and Usmondes, with other lands therein mentioned, all in this parish; and that he died without issue, and that John Isley, son of John, his younger brother, then deceased, was his next heir.
John Isley, esq. nephew and heir of William, was justice of the peace and sheriff in the 14th year of king Edward IV. he died in 1483, and was buried in this church, leaving Thomas Isley, esq. who died possessed of Sundridge manor, in the 11th year of Henry VIII. having had by Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Sir Richard Guldeford, knight banneret and of the Garter, and comptroller of the household to Henry VIII. (fn. 3) ten sons and three daughters, as appears by their figures on his tomb in this church.
Their eldest son, Sir Henry Isley, was sheriff in the 34th year of king Henry VIII. and in the 5th year of king Edward VI. in which last reign, by an act passed in the 2d and 3d year of it, he procured, among others, his lands in this county to be disgavelled. (fn. 4)
Being concerned in the rebellion, raised by Sir Tho. Wyatt in the 1st year of queen Mary, he was then attainted and executed at Sevenoke, and his lands were consiscated to the crown. He left a son, William, who, before the accession of king Edward VI. had married Ursula, daughter of Nicholas Clifford, esq.
Queen Mary, by her letters patent, anno 1st and 2d of Philip and Mary (reciting that Sir Henry Isley, being attainted, was possessed, among other premises, of the manor of Sundridge, and other lands in this parish) in consideration of one thousand pounds, paid by Wm. Isley, his eldest son, granted and restored them to him and his heirs, on their paying yearly, at the manor of Otford, 22l. 12s. 1d. and in the 5th year of queen Elizabeth an act passed for the restitution in blood of Sir Henry Isley's heirs.
William Isley afterwards possessed this estate in queen Elizabeth's reign, in the 18th year of which, becoming greatly indebted to the crown and others, an act passed for felling so much of his lands as would pay his debts; and by it the lord treasurer and others were appointed for that purpose, who conveyed this manor to the queen, her heirs and successors; from which time it seems to have remained in the crown till king James, by his letters patent, dated at Nonsuch, in the 22d year of his reign, granted the manor of Sundridge, alias Sundrich, late parcel of the possessions of Sir Henry Isley, attainted, to Nicholas Street and George Fouch, at the yearly fee farm rent of 42l. 12s. (fn. 5)
Soon after which, I find this estate in the possession of Brooker, when it appears to have been esteemed as two manors; for he, at the latter end of the reign of king Charles I. conveyed it, by the name of the manors of Sundridge Upland and Sundridge Weald, by sale, to Mr. John Hyde, second son of Bernard Hyde, esq. a commissioner of the customs, and possessor of Bore-place, in the adjoining parish of Chidingstone, who bore for his arms, Gules a saltier or, between four besants, a chief ermine, as may be seen by their monuments in this church, which afterwards became the burial place of his descendants. His descendant, John Hyde, esq. was of Sundridge-place, and died in 1729, leaving two sons; John, of the Temple, esquire; and Savile. After which, this manor seems to have been divided into moieties, called, from their different situations, Sundridge Upland and Sundridge Weald manors, the latter of which became the property of John Hyde, esq. who residing at Quarendon, in Leicestershire, about the year 1773, pulled down the antient Placehouse, leaving only a farm house in its stead; and the former became the property of Savile Hyde, esq. but since their deaths, both these manors are become concentered in the person of Savile John Hyde, esq, who continues the present proprietor of them.
The present fee farm rent, paid for these manors, is 32l. 12s. the remainder of the original sum being paid by the several possessors of the other parts of these manors in this parish, by grants of them at different times from the crown.
Overney, alias Overney's-green, now called OVENDEN, is a manor or farm in this parish, which was part of the estate belonging to the Freminghams, and afterwards, as before mentioned, to the Isleys, (fn. 6) in whom it continued in like manner, as has been already described, to William Isley, who possessed it in queen Elizabeth's reign; and, in pursuance of the act, passed in the 18th year of it, for the payment of his debts, was sold by the lord treasurer and other commissioners, appointed for that purpose, two years afterwards, to Leven Buskin, and his heirs, as a collateral security for protecting other land, which he had purchased of the commissioners. Soon after which he reconveyed this estate back again to Henry Isley, son of William before mentioned, who, by deed, in the 22d year of that reign, sold this estate, then called Overney's-green, alias Austin's, to James Austin, who with Henry Isley, and William his father, by deed and by fine, conveyed it to John Lennard and Sampson Lennard, and their heirs, from whom it descended, with another estate, called Cotland barn, in this parish, purchased by Sampson Lennard of one Cacott, to Thomas earl of Suffex, the estate of Overneys being included among those for which the earl had a verdict at the Queen's bench bar, in 1709, as may be further seen under Chevening, whose two daughters and coheirs conveyed them, with Chevening, and other lands in this neighbourhood, to major general James Stanhope, afterwards created earl Stanhope, whose grandson, the Rt. Hon. Charles earl Stanhope, is the present possessor of these estates. (fn. 7)
BROOK-PLACE, so called from its contiguity to the small brook or rill of water here, was once accounted part of the manor of Sundridge, and was most probably the first habitation of the Isleys in this parish; the last who died possessed of it was William Isley, who died in the 3d year of king Edward IV. and as appears by the inquisition taken the year after his death, was then possessed of Brook-place, with the lands and woods belonging to it. He conveyed this estate, by sale, to John Alphew of Bore-place, in Chidingstone, on whose death, in 1489, without male issue, his two daughters and coheirs became entitled to his estates; and on the partition of them, Sir Robert Read, chief justice of the common-pleas, in the reign of king Henry VII. in right of his wife, became entitled to this estate. (fn. 8) He left four daughters and coheirs; one of whom, Catherine, marrying Sir Thomas Willoughby, a younger son of those of Eresby, in Lincolnshire, and lord chief justice of the common pleas, entitled him to Brook-place. His descendant, Thomas Willoughby, esq. about the latter end of the reign of queen Elizabeth, sold it to Sir Thomas Hoskins of Oxsted, in Surry, descended from an antient family of that name in Herefordshire, who bore for their arms, Per pale gules and azure, a chevron engrailed or, between three lions rampant argent; (fn. 9) on whose decease it came to his eldest son, Charles Hoskins, esq. who died in 1657; whose grand son, Charles Hoskins, esq. of Croydon, in Surry, left an only daughter and heir, who carried this estate, in marriage, to John Ward, esq. of Squeries, in Westerham, who died possessed of it in 1775, and his eldest son and heir by her, John Ward, esq. of Squeries, is the present owner of it.
HENDEN, called in antient writings, Hethenden, is a manor, which lies at the southern edge of this parish, in the Weald, below Ide-hill, and is a member of the manor of Boughton Aluph, in the eastern part of this county.
This estate had, for a continued series of years, owners of the highest rank and title in this kingdom, for it was formerly part of the possessions of Barth. de Burghersh, who died possessed of it in the 29th year of king Henry III. leaving, by Elizabeth, his wife, one of the daughters and heirs of Theobald de Verdon, a great baron of Staffordshire, two sons, Bartholomew and Henry; of whom Bartholomew, the eldest, being a man eminent for his valour, was made choice of by king Edward III. in his 24th year on the institution of the order of the Garter, to be one of the knights companions thereof.
He died in the 43d year of king Edward III. leaving by his second wife, Margaret, sister of Bartholomew lord Badlesmere, who survived him, one daughter and heir, Elizabeth, married to Edward le Despencer, the eldest son of Edward, who on the death of his uncle, Hugh le Despencer, without issue, became his heir.
He received summons to parliament from the 31st to the 39th year of the above reign, and departed this life at his castle of Kaerdiff, in the 49th year of it, being then possessed of this manor, in right of his wife, who surviving him, died in the 10th year of king Henry IV. (fn. 10) By her he left a son and heir, commonly called Thomas lord Despencer, of Glamorgan and Morganok, who was, among others, in the 20th year of king Richard II. advanced to great titles of honour, being created earl of Gloucester, and exhibiting his petition in the same parliament, for revocation of the judgment of exile against his great grand father, Hugh le Despencer, had it granted. In which petition it appears, that Hugh le Despencer was then possessed of no less than 59 lordships in different counties, 28000 sheep, 1000 oxen and steers, 1200 king with their calves, 40 mares with their colts of two years, 160 draft horses, 2000 hogs, 3000 bullocks, 40 tons of wine, 600 bacons, 80 carcases of Martinmas beef, 600 muttons in his larder, 10 tons of cyder, armour, plate, jewels, and ready money, 10000l. 36 sacks of wool, and (what was of no small value in those times) a library of books.
This earl married Constance, daughter of Edmond Langley, duke of York, and although he was one of the chief of those peers who formerly acted in the deposition of king Richard II. yet he was soon after degraded from his honour of earl, by parliament, in the 1st year of king Henry IV. as all others were who had been concerned in the death of Thomas of Woodstock, duke of Gloucester; after which, being conscious of his danger, he fled; but being taken at Bristol, he was carried into the market place there, by the rabble, and beheaded; and the next year, by the name of Thomas, late lord Spencer, he was adjudged a traitor, and to forfeit all his lands. His daughter, and at length sole heir, Isabel, in the year her father died, was married to Richard Beauchamp, lord Bergavenny, and afterwards earl of Worcester, who in the 2d year of king Henry V. had possession granted to him of all these lordships and lands, which, upon the death of her brother, under age and without issue, descended to her, among which was this manor of Henden, and upon the death of Constance, her mother, had the like possession granted of what she held in dower.
Richard earl of Worcester died before her, and she afterwards, by a special dispensation from the, pope, they being brothers children, married Richard Beauchamp earl of Warwick, one of the most considerable persons of his time; for, at the coronation of king Henry IV. he had been made a knight of the Bath, being then only nineteen years of age. In the 5th year of whose reign, he behaved bravely against Owen Glendower, then in rebellion, whose standard he took in open battle, and afterwards gained great honour in the battle of Shrewsbury, fought against the Percies.
At the coronation of king Henry V. he was constituted lord high steward, as the patent expresses it, for his wisdom and indesatigable industry in the king's service; after which he was declared captain of Calais, and governor of the marches of Picardy, and in 1417, created earl of Aumarle, or as we usually call it, Albermarle, in reward for his bravery in France, and elected knight of the Garter; and upon the death of king Henry V. was appointed governor to the young king, Henry VI. and afterwards, on the death of the duke of Bedford, regent of France, and lieutenant general of all the king's forces in that realm, and in Normandy. He died at the castle of Roan, in 1439, leaving Isabel, his second wife, before mentioned, surviving, (fn. 11) by whom he had Henry, of whom hereafter, and Anne, married to Richard Nevill earl of Salisbury, and afterwards earl of Warwick; she died within a few months after the earl her husband, being then possessed of this manor. (fn. 12)
Their son, Henry de Beauchamp, earl of Warwick, succeeded his mother in this estate at Sundridge, being little more than fourteen years of age at his father's death. He was so great a favourite with king Henry VI. that the highest honours were thought insufficient to express the king's affection towards him. In the 22d year of king Henry VI. he was created premier earl of England, and for a distinction between him and other earls, he had granted to him, and the heirs male of his body, licence to wear a golden coronet on his head, as well in the king's presence, as elsewhere; and within a few days afterwards he was further advanced to the rank of duke of Warwick, with precedence next after the duke of Norfolk, and before the duke of Buckingham; after which he had the grant of the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and others adjacent, together with other castles, lands, and manors; and, lastly, he was declared king of the isle of Wight, the king placing the crown on his head with his own hands; but he lived not long to enjoy these honours, being taken off in the flower of his age, in 1445, in the twenty-second year. His body was carried to Tewksbury, where it lies interred among his ancestors, in the middle of the choir; he died possessed of this manor of Henden, leaving Cicely, his wife, daughter of Richard Nevill earl of Salisbury, surviving, whom he had married in his father's life time, when he was scarce ten years of age, being then called by the name of lord Despencer, and one daughter, Anne, who died an infant. Upon which Anne, her aunt, sister to the late duke of Warwick, became heir to the earldom and her brother's estates, being at that time the wife of Richard Nevill earl of Salisbury, before mentioned, having been married to him the same year that Henry, her brother, married Cicely, his sister; by reason of which marriage, and in respect of his special services, he had the title of earl of Warwick confirmed to him and his wife, and their heirs.
This earl, who is so well known in English history by the title of the King-maker, finding himself of consequence sufficient to hold the balance of the families of York and Lancaster, by his changing from one side to the other, rendered England, during the continuance of his power, a scene of constant confusion and bloodshed, and made or unmade kings, of this or the other house, as suited his passions, or served his purposes; at length he was slain, endeavouring to re-place king Henry on the throne, at the battle of Barnet, in 1471.
By Anne his wife, before mentioned, he had only two daughters, whom he married into the royal family; Isabel, the eldest, being married to George duke of Clarence, brother to king Edward IV. and Anne, the youngest, first to Edward prince of Wales, son of king Henry VI. and 2dly to Richard duke of Gloucester, afterwards king Richard III. (fn. 13)
After the earl's decease, the countess, his widow, lived in great distress. The vast inheritance of the Warwick family was taken from her by authority of parliament, as if she had been naturally dead, most of which was given to her two daughters, Isabel and Anne.
King Henry VII. after his accession to the throne, in the 3d year of his reign, recalled the old countess of Warwick from her retirement in the North, where she lived in a mean condition, and both her daughters being dead, he, by a new act of parliament, annulling the former, as against all reason, conscience, and course of nature, and contrary to the laws of God and man, so are the words, and in consideration of the true and faithful service, and allegiance, by her borne to king Henry VI. as also, that she never gave cause for such desherison, restored to her the possession of all the inheritance of the Warwick family, with power to her to alien the same, or any part of it. But this was not done with any purpose, that she should enjoy any part of it, but merely that she might transfer the whole of it to the king, which she did that year by a special seossment, and a fine thereupon had, granting the same, consisting of one hundred and fourteen lordships and manors, among which was this of Henden, to the king and his heirs male, (fn. 14) with remainder to herself and her heirs for ever.
From this time the manor of Henden seems to have remained in the crown till king Henry VIII. in his 9th year, exchanged this his manor and park of Henden, with Sir Thomas Bulleyn, for the manor of Newhall and other lands, in Effex; who, on account of the great affection which the king bore to his eldest daughter, the lady Anne, was advanced, in the 17th year of that reign, to the title of viscount Rochford, and three years afterwards to that of earl of Wiltshire and Ormond.
From him this estate passed to William Stafford, esq. who, in the 33d year of that reign, conveyed it to the king; and he, in the 34th year of his reign, demised his park, and the lands called Henden-park, with their appurtenances, in Henden, Brasted, Sundridge, and Chedyngstone, and the lodges in the park, to George Harper, for a term of years; and the next year he granted, among other premises, the fee of this manor, parcel of the possessions of William Stafford and Mary his wife, daughter and heir of Thomas earl of Wiltshire, and the park of Henden, in the parishes above mentioned, to Sir John Gresham, to hold in capite by knights service. He was of Titsey, in Surry, and third son of John Gresham, of Holt, in Norfolk, younger brother of Sir Richard, who was lord mayor and uncle to Sir Thomas, who built the Royal Exchange. (fn. 15) He was lord mayor of London, in 1547, and died possessed of this estate in 1556, some little time before which the park here seems to have been disparked.
His grandson, Sir William Gresham, sold it, at the end of queen Elizabeth's reign, to Sir Thomas Hoskins of Oxsted, in Surry, whose grandson, Sir William Hoskins, died possessed of it in 1712; and in his descendants it continued down to Charles Hoskins, esq. of Barrow-green place, in Oxsted, whose only daughter and heir, Susannah Chicheley Hoskins, then an insant, became intitled to the inheritance of it. She married, in 1790, Richard Gorges, esq. who now in her right possesses this manor.
COMBEBANK is a seat here, so called from some antient camp or fortification, placed at or near it, comb, in Saxon, signifying a camp. Most probably here was once likewise a burying-place for the Roman soldiers, as many urns of an antique shape and figure have been found in digging near it; and some have imagined there was a Roman military way, which led from Oldborough, in Ightham, through this place to Keston camp, near Bromley, in this county.
Combebank was formerly esteemed as part of the manor of Sundridge, and as such now pays a portion of the antient fee farm rent of that manor. As such, it was for many descents the estate of the Isleys, lords of Sundridge manor, with whom it remained till the 18th year of queen Elizabeth's reign, when it was vested, by the act passed that year, in the lord treasurer and others, to be sold with the rest of his estates in this parish, towards the payment of Wm. Isley's debts. By them Combebank was accordingly sold to one of the family of Ash, who were of good repute in this neighbourhood, as well for their possessions as for their long standing in it. The last of them here was William Ash, esq. who alienated it to Col. John Campbell, who, on the death of Archibald, duke of Argyle, in 1761, succeeded to that title.
In 1545, Sir Duncan Campbell, eldest son of Sir Colin. was advanced to the dignity of a lord of parliament, as was his grandson, Colin, in 1457, to the title of earl of Argyle, whose descendant, Archibald, eighth earl of Argyle, was by king Charles I. in 1641, created marquis of Argyle, in Scotland; all which titles he forfeited for treason, of which he was found guilty, and beheaded at Edinburgh, in 1661.
His son, Archibald, was, in 1663, restored by the king to the estate, title, and precedency, formerly enjoyed by his ancestors, earls of Argyle; but in 1681, being accused of treason, he was found guilty, and though he then made his escape, yet landing with a force from abroad, in 1685, he was taken, and on his former sentence, was beheaded at Edinburgh that year. He married Mary, daughter of James Stuart, earl of Murray, by whom he had four sons and two daughters; of the former, Archibald was created duke of Argyle; John, the second son, was of Mammore, and was father of the late duke; Charles and James were both colonels in the army.
Archibald, the eldest, his father's attainder being taken off by the parliament, immediately after the Revolution, was tenth earl of Argyle, and afterwards, in 1701, created duke of Argyle, marquis of Kyntire and Lorn, earl of Campbell and Cowell, viscount of Lochow and Glengla, and lord Inverary, Mull, Morvern, and Terry, who dying in 1703, left by Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Lionel Talmash, two sons and a daughter; John, the great duke of Argyle, who was created a peer of England, by the titles of duke and earl of Greenwich, and baron Chatham; and died in 1743, leaving only four daughters his coheirs, (fn. 16) so that there titles expired with him; but as duke of Argyle, &c. in Scotland, he was succeeded by his brother, Archibald, who, in 1706, had been created earl of and viscount Ila, and lord Ornsay, Dunoon, and Aros, in Scotland, but died without issue, in 1761.
He was succeeded as duke of Argyle, marquis of Lorn, &c. by colonel John Campbell, of Mammore, second son of Archibald, ninth earl of Argyle; (fn. 17) which John, duke of Argyle, purchased this seat of Combebank, before mentioned, and made it one of the principal seats of his residence. He married Mary, daughter of John lord Bellenden, by whom he had John, marquis of Lorn, who succeeded him in titles and estate; three other sons, and one daughter. He died in 1770, but in his life time he gave this seat to his third surviving son, the Right Hon. lord Frederick Campbell, who is the present possessor of it, and resides here.
His lordship married, in 1769, Mary, daughter of Amos Meredith, esq. and widow of Laurence Shirley earl Ferrers, and by her, who died in 1791, has issue. He is a privy councellor, a lord of trade and plantations, lord register of Scotland, and member of parliament for Argyleshire, in that kingdom.
HIS PRESENT GRACE, the duke of Argyle, whilst marquis of Lorn, his father being living, was on December 20, 1766, created a peer of England, by the title of, BARON SUNDRIDGE OF COMBEBANK, in the county of Kent, to him and his heirs male, and in failure of which to the lords William and Frederick, his brothers and their heirs male successively. His Grace married, in 1759, Elizabeth, daughter of John Gunning, esq. and widow of James, late duke of Hamilton, who, in 1776, was created a baroness of England, in her own right, by the title of baroness Hamilton, and who died in 1790, by whom he had George marquis of Lorn, one other son, and two daughters. He bears for his arms, Quarterly, 1st and 4th, Campbell; 2d and 3d, the lordship of Lorn. For his crest, on a wreath, a boar's bead, couped proper, or; and for his supporters, two lions guardant, gules.
MRS. ELIZABETH SMITH, alias CRANE, gave by will, in 1638, for the poor of the parish who do not receive alms, part of a tenement, in the occupation of John Shenstone, now of the annual produce of 2l. 16s. 8d.
MRS. ELLEN LEWIS gave by will, in 1646, for four sermons, to be preached, 1l. 6s. 8d. for three Bibles, 2s. and for bread, 3s. 4d. payable out of land, the property of Edward Peach, esq. the annual produce being 2l. 10s.
SUNDRIDGE is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Rochester, and being a peculiar of the archbishop, is as such within the deanry of Shoreham. The church consists of two isles and two chancels, having a pointed steeple at the west end.
Among other monuments and inscriptions in it, on the north side is a fine antient altar tomb, under an arch of Gothic work, on the side of it were the figures of a man and woman, with an inscription now lost, but Philipott says, it was for John Isley, esq. sheriff of Kent, anno 14 Edward IV. and deceased anno 1484. At the foot of the above is a grave stone, on which are the figures in brass of a man in armour, and his wife, with ten sons and three daughters, but the inscription is gone, and one shield of arms, yet there are three remaining, which shew it to have been for one of the Isleys, who married a Guldeford. On the south side is a gravestone, with the figure in brass, of a man in armour, with a lion at his feet, with an inscription in black letter for Roger Isley, lord of Sundresh and Fremingham, ob. 1429; above two shields, one Isley, second the like, impaling ermine a bend. A memorial before the rails for Gervasius Nidd, S.T.P. rector of this parish, ob. Nov. 13, . . . . ˙In the south chancel, a mural monument for John Hyde, esq. lord of the manor of Sundridge Weald and Millbrook, ob. 1729; above these arms, Gules, a saltier or, between four besants of the second, a chief ermine, impaling ermine on a canton argent a crescent or; another like monument for John Hyde, esq. ob. 1677, arms as the former. An oval mural monument for Elizabeth, wife of Humphry Hyde, esq. ob. 1713. A monument for Frances, widow of Peter Shaw, M.D. and daughter of John Hyde, esq. ob. 1767. A memorial for Henry Hyde, gent. A. M. ob. Oct. 26, 1706; and for Humphry Hyde, gent. second son of John Hyde, esq. lord of Sundridge manor, ob. 1709, æt. 18. Near this last stone is one, having a large brass plate, with the figure of a man in somewhat a singular habit, but the inscription and four shields of arms are torn off. In the north chancel is a vault for the Aynsworths. In the middle of the great chancel are two adjoining grave stones, on which were inscriptions in brass capitals of the thirteenth century, let in, separate round the verge of the stones, all which are now picked out; they belonged most probably to one of the family of Isley.
In the first window of the above chancel are two shields, with the arms of Isley, in very antient coloured glass, the first ermine, a bend gules, impaling ermine a cross gules; the second as above, impaling Colepeper. In the third window, a shield quarterly, 1st and 4th, Isley; 2d and 3d, ermine a fess gules.
In the 15th year of king Edward I. this church was valued at thirty marcs. (fn. 18)
By virtue of a commission of enquiry, taken by order of the state, in 1650, issuing out of chancery, it was returned, that Sundridge was a parsonage, with a house, barn, and twelve acres of land thereto belonging, which, with the tithes, were worth one hundred pounds per annum, Mr. Samuel Sharpe then incumbent, being put in by the parliament, who received the profit thereof for his salary, and the vicars tithes also. (fn. 19)
It is valued in the king's books at 22l. 13s. 4d. and the yearly tenths at 2l. 5s. 4d. (fn. 20)
Church Of Sundridge
|Or by whom presented.|
|Archbishop of Canterbury||Hugo Forsham, in 1320. (fn. 21)|
|Gervas Nidd, S.T.P. obt. Nov. 13, 1629. (fn. 22)|
|Richard Hall, S.T.P. in 1634.|
|John Kayes, A.M. ind. 1643, ob. Nov. 1644.|
|Samuel Sharpe, in 1645, obt. 1680. (fn. 23)|
|James Goodwin, ind. Nov. 18, 1680. obt. Mar. 1684.|
|Benjamin Maldin, ind. May 31, 1685, obt. Sept. 1688.|
|Edw. Brown, A.M. ind. Feb. 8. 1689, obt. 1699. (fn. 24)|
|Edw. Tenison, LL.B. in 1700. (fn. 25)|
|John Lynch, S.T.P. in 1728, resigned in 1733. (fn. 26)|
|Samuel Weller, LL.B. 1733, and 1753. (fn. 27)|
|John Frankland, A. M. 1753, resigned 1777. (fn. 28)|
|Wm. Vyse, LL.D. 1777. Present rector. (fn. 29)|