The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 4. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1798.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF MAIDSTONE.
THE next hundred south-westward is that of Maidstone, which contains within its bounds the parishes of
5. EAST FARLEY; and
6. EAST and WEST BARMING.
With the churches of the same: And part of the parishes of BERSTED, HUNTON, MARDEN, and STAPLEHURST.
IT formerly contained likewise, within its bounds, the town and parish of Maidstone, which has long since been made a separate jurisdiction, having a constable of its own, the liberty of the corporation claiming over it. This hundred is written, in the book of Domesday, Meddestan, and in other records, Maydestane. In the 8th year of king Edward II. the archbishop was lord of this hundred; the Right Hon. lord Romney is the present owner of it.