The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 4. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1798.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
SUBORDINATE to the paramount manor of Hoo is the reputed manor of High Halstow, which, with a messuage, called Duck's court, alias Bewell's, belonged to the family of Walpole, of Pinchbeck, in Lincolnshire, but Edward Walpole dying s. p. in 1725, Mary, his daughter, carried it in marriage to Dr. William Smithson, whose son, John Walpole Smithson, dying s. p. likewise in 1731, Catherine his daughter became his sole heir, and married Thomas Davers, esq. admiral of the royal navy, who died at Horringerhall, in Suffolk, in 1746, whose son of the same name in 1759, conveyed it to his mother, and she in 1763 sold it to Susanna Hodgman, widow, of Rochester, who by her will in 1764 gave it to William Horn, of Rochester, and Elizabeth his wife, her niece, whose four sons and four daughters in 1783 joined in the sale of it to Samuel Smith, yeoman, of Hoo, who made a division of his estates in 1796, between his four sons, by Rose his second wife, and on a partition of them afterwards, this estate was conveyed by them to the eldest son, Mr. George Smith, who now resides at Duck's-court, alias Bewell's, of which he is the present owner. There is no court held for this manor.
PAGE 24. Combe, line 18. The Rev. Richard Hancorn Duppa, who afterwards quitted the clerical profession, and took the title of esquire, died in 1789, upon which the possession of it, as well as of his other estates, passed over to his brother Baldwin Hancorn, who was a lieutenant in the navy, and afterwards took the name of Duppa, and it became vested in his son Baldwin Duppa Hancorn, who was at the time of his uncle's death a lieutenant in the East-India company's service, and on his return to England took the surname likewise of Duppa, being the present Baldwin Duppa Duppa, esq. of Hollingborne-hill, at this time the owner of this estate.
PAGE 41. Malmaines tithes. George and John Coppinger were lessees, at 13s. 4d. rent, and 5th Charles I. sold their interest to Thomas Tresse, of Hoo, and of Gray's-Inn, gent. He was afterwards knighted, and was of Battersea, he was gentleman pensioner to that king, being the son of Francis Tresse, gent. of Hoo, whose third sister Ellen married Peter Gunning, vicar of Hoo and Gravesend, father of Peter, bishop of Ely. She afterwards married Mr. Henshaw. He left two daughters his coheirs, Ellen married to Arthur Amherst, M. D. of Tunbridge; and Sarah. Lady Sarah Tresse survived her husband, and assigned her right in those tithes to John Lorimer.
St. Nicholas, in Rochester.
The church. The width of the present building is the same as before, and the only addition to its size is the lengthening the north and south isles, to the end of the former chancel; it now consists as before of a nave and two side isles, and the gallery extends quite round the south-west and north isles.
PAGE 227. Brompton at present consists of near five hundred houses, the greatest part of which are in Gillingham, about 360 of them, and the town is continually increasing. The lines of fortification are at present in a very unfinished state, and make a very disreputable appearance.
PAGE 231. Notwithstanding Mr. Lambard is charged on the roll of fee-farm rents, and pays accordingly for the manor, scite, and demesne lands of the manor of Gillingham, yet the manor is held in the name of lord Somers, who inherits likewise the see-farm rents of the manor granted by the crown to his ancestor the lord-chancellor Somers in 1697, and he receives besides the fee-farm rents, the reliefs and alienations due from time to time from it.
PAGE 232. Westcourt manor. Sir Richard Leveson, in 1627, conveyed it to John Duling, gent. who by will in 1638, gave it to his daughter Elizabeth Salmon, and she conveyed it in 1651 to George Bower, esq. the executors of whose widow, Anne Bower, passed it away in 1661 to Augustine Cæsar, M. D. of Rochester, who by will in 1677, gave it to Alice his wife for life, and afterwards to his nephew Augustine (son of his brother Joseph Cæsar) and Alice his wife, and the survivor of them; they left four daughters and coheirs, Joane, Margaret, Mary and Alice. Alice, wife of Augustine Cæsar, surviving him, remarried John Higgons, gent. and they, jointly with her four daughters and coheirs, of her former husband, in 1698 conveyed it to Thomas Rogers, gent. and anno 10 William III. an act passed for vesting the absolute see and inheritance of this manor in him; he held it till 1733, when he sold it to Christopher Searle, gent of Hackstaple, descended out of Devonshire, and who in 1721 had married Anna, one of his daughters, by his wife Sarah, daughter of John Paine, gent. of Darent. Mr. Searle left three surviving daughters his coheirs, Anna, now the wife of Mr. John Strover, of Gillingham; JaneArabella, widow of George Weekly, esq. of Town-Malling, and Elizabeth, who though twice married, died S. P. in 1786, so that the two elder sisters are now become the sole possessors of this manor. Mr. Strover has issue one son, John, a captain in the East-India Company's service, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Sally.
PAGE 385. Soon after last Christmas, or the beginning of the spring 1796, there were found in the grubbing up of a hedge at a small distance westward from the parsonage, seven Roman urns. They were all placed near each other, and were entire when found, but were broken by the workmen; they contained a great quantity of bones. The urns were some of a dark lead colour, and others of a coarse red kind of brick earth, but both looked as if turned in a lathe. The workmen said that when entire, they were near two feet high, and indeed from the quantities of ashes they must have been very large. There was part of a man's skull found near them, and a little further a great quantity of bones without any urn, these instantly went to dust as soon as exposed to the air. In a hop-ground at a little distance, in digging for the quarrystone vast numbers of bones, both of men and horses, were found regularly laid, some of them upon the bare rock. However these seem to have had no relation to the former, to have been of a much later date, and to have been by mere chance placed near the others. The Roman remains surely point out that their military way led by this place, and the bones of the men and horses may be conjectured to have been of those, either of one side or the other, who fell in the skirmish between the Royalists and Oliverians, in 1648, as mentioned in the above page.
PAGE 389, line 11. Mr. Henry Golding, who purchased the estate of Barming in king Charles IId.'s reign, left it to his son Henry, whose son of the same name sold it to Thomas Stringer, esq. and he passed it away to Mr. Spencer, who conveyed it to captain Nicholas Amhurst.
PAGE 392. The Rev. Mark Noble, rector of Barming, is fellow of the antiquarian society and author of several learned works, among others of a genealogical history of the present royal families of Europe, Memoirs of the Protectorate House of Cromwell, of the royal house of Stuart, of the illustrious house of Medici, and of two dissertations on the mint and coins of the episcopal palatine of Durham.
PAGE 489. Describe the modern state of the parish thus: The parish is full three miles long from north to south, but not very narrow. The Addington brook crosses it, but much nearer the north than the south; about a mile from the northern bank of it lies the only village in the parish, which is not very large. The church is within a few rods of the brook, and adjoining to it is the court-lodge belonging to the earl of Abergavenny. About half a mile from it is Carew's court, close to the Maidstone road, a large house, the farm of which is the largest in the parish; from hence, about a mile southward, is Fartherwell, to the mansion of which there is an acre of garden ground walled round. The soil of this parish is rather fertile, being a sandy loam, producing good crops of corn as well as hops, of which latter there are near one hundred acres. The northern part of it is chiefly woodland.
PAGE 496. Addington brook does not bound this parish on the south, as there are many acres of land southward of it, some of which run up near to Town Malling. The soil in general is light, with a mixture of loam; to the northward towards Birling it is a black mould and richer, a moist land. Eastward of the castle and church it extends but a little way, the parish of East-Malling runs up here close to Leyborne glebe. The straggling houses, including cottages, are only thirty-nine.
PAGE 508. This parish is about three miles long from north to south, and not quite a mile in breadth. The northern part is a deep wet soil, consisting chiefly of pasture, common to three parishes, principally in East-Malling next to this, the land is sandy, the southern is near the rock, and near and on the heath partly gravel, and partly loam, fit for the making of bricks, for which there are two kilns on it. The chapel at New Hyth is now a cottage, belonging to Sir John P. Twisden, bart.
West, or Town Malling.
PAGE 518. The parish is bounded on the south by a detached piece of woodland, part of Aylesford parish; by other woods to Mereworth, and by Canon-heath to Watringbury. The town contains about one hundred and forty houses.
PAGE 521, line 5. The house and estate, late belonging to admiral Forbes, was after his death purchased by Thomas Augustus Douce, esq. but it is at present inhabited by Mrs. Wynch, widow of the late governor.
PAGE 532. There are two acres of glebe land, exclusive of the church-yard belonging to the vicarage, and there is an annual rent paid to the vicar of 40s. charged on an estate purchased a few years ago of admiral Forbes, by the late Mr. Thomas Palmer, of St. Leonard's-street, in this town.