The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 6. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1798.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS TO VOLUME V.
LINE 8. Dele gent. as improper after the word Mr.
PAGE 8, last line but one, add which after name.
PAGE 21, line 10 from the bottom. For Francis Motley Austen, esq. of Wilmington, read then of Wilmington, but now of Sevenoke.
PAGE 33, line 13. For lands read land.
PAGE 53. Vicesimus Knox, the present curate, is D. D.
PAGE 56, last line but four. For Yaldham read Yalding.
PAGE 60, line 14. Add after that seat, and is now by the will of the late William-Daniel Master, esq. of Yokes, come into the possession.
PAGE 84. THE SEAT OF YOKES is now in the possession of Mrs. Master for her life, remainder to the right hon. George, viscount Torrington.
PAGE 102, line 10. Read thus, the manor of East Farleigh, which extends into this parish, includes within its bounds.
PAGE 106, last line but four. Since Mr. Style's having quitted the vicarage of Watringbury it has been inhabited by several different tenants. Admiral Gambier lately resided in it, and since the Rev. Dr. Foster, who is the present occupier of it.
PAGE 107, line 4. For andread which.
Line 5. Add the Rev. Mr. Cooper keeps a boardingschool in this village for young gentlemen.
PAGE 136, note.p Read thus, he resigned this vicarage for that of West Farleigh, where he afterwards resided, and dying in 1675 was buried in that church.
PAGE 137, line 16. After river, dele the semicolon and add a comma.
PAGE 141, line 22. For William Perrin, read WilliamPhilip Perrin.
PAGE 147, line 4. After house, dele the semicolon, and add a comma; and after 1745, dele the comma, and add a semicolon.
Line 7. For Davies read Davis.
PAGE 155, line 9. For the method read this method.
PAGE 157, line 6. For asserts read assarts.
Line13. For Betsurn read Betsurn.
Line 20. For rain read main river.
PAGE 161, line 17. For Philip read Philp.
PAGE 162. THE MANOR OF LODDINGFORD, called in antient deeds Laddingford, extends over a considerable part of the parishes of Brenchley and Mereworth, taking its name from the little stream called Ladding, which rising under Brenchley hill leads through some space of country, and then falls into the Medway at Twyford bridge, about a mile above which there was formerly a ford, though now there is a small stone bridge; from this ford the manor took its name. From Fane this manor was alienated to one of the family of the Austen's, baronets, of Tenterden and Bexley, a younger son of whom, John Austen, esq. of Bexley, grandson of the first baronet, became possessed of it, whose coheir Elizabeth gave it by will to her near relation Mrs. Piggot, one of the sisters of that Sir Robert Austen, bart. who died in 1743, and then the wife of Richard Symes, esq. of Mount Pleasant, in Bexley, whose only daughter and heir entitled her husband Granado Pigott, of Abington Pigotts, in Cambridgeshire, an estate which he inherited by direct lineal descent from his ancestor Picottus, one of those who attended the Conqueror from Normandy, and had this estate afterwards granted to him. Mr. Pigott left an only daughter Mary, who at length became his heir, and marrying the Rev. William Foster, D.D. now of Watringbury, he is in her right the present possessor of this manor.
PAGE 169. The earl of Thanet is possessed of a manor called MOORLANDS, in this parish.
PAGE 172, line 8. For Ward read Warde.
Among the vicars dele Oliver North, who was vicar of West Farleigh, not of this parish, and lies buried there.
PAGE 177, line21. Dele the words called the Sheet.
Ibid. The hop-grounds in this parish are about two hundred acres.
PAGE 183, line 6 from the bottom. For GOODWIS read GOODWINS.
PAGE 187, line 16. THE MANOR OF GOLDWELL, alias COLDWELL, after Mr. Burges's death, came to his widow Mrs. Elizabeth Burges, who remarrying James Harbroe, esq. he is in her right possessed of it.
PAGE 188, line 2. Mr. Jonathan Chilwell sold the manor of Peckhams to Mr. William Barton, the present owner of it.
PAGE 193. For . . . . . . Richards, vicar, read George Richards.
PAGE 196, last line but one. Notwithstanding these overflowings, the lands near the Medway are for the most part, when the waters are off, found and dry.
PAGE 197, line 12. In this borough there is A SCHOOL, which was founded and endowed by a Mr. Holmes, with 30l. per annum, for a schoolmaster to instruct poor children, from the age of six to twelve years, to read and write. By him it was devised in trust to the celebrated Mr. Westley, by whom it was at his death consigned to trustees, who visit it annually, so that it is both a school and a Methodist meetinghouse, and entirely under the patronage of that sect, and I am informed, that the schoolmaster must be a Methodist teacher, otherwise not eligible by the trustees.
Last line but 3. The gunpowder mills are the property of Thomas Hooker, esq. and others.
Line 7. Dele These.
PAGE 200, line 19. Thomas Hooker, esq. sold this house to Mr. Goodchild, who alienated it to Mr. William Simmons, the present possessor of it.
PAGE 212, note.l For Baronetage read Baronage.
PAGE 213, note.m Ibid.
PAGE 219, line 22. For that read next.
PAGE 221, line 15. Dame Elizabeth Dashwood is now owner of them.
PAGE 224, line 8. The Rev. Thomas Harvey, of Redlease, married Amelia, daughter of John Bacheler, esq. of Hackney, deceased; William-Thomas married Anne, daughter of Mr. Staples, of Tatisfield, deceased; Charlotte is unmarried; Sophia married the Rev. Cayley Illingworth, of Scampton, in Lincolnshire; and Frances married Mr. Bartholomew Brown, of the India-house.
PAGE 218, line 21. After 1792, dele that line and the four following ones, and read thus:—After his death in 1792, this among other estates devolved to Sir Richard-VanderBempde Johnson, bart. of Hackness, in Yorkshire, he having been so created on July 6, 1795, the son of the Marchioness of Annadale, by her second husband, and he is the present possessor of it, and this I believe, &c.
PAGE 219, line 25. For that read next.
Line 24. THE HOUSE begun to be built by Mr. Hooker, is situated close to the eastern side of the tower, at the great gateway of the castle, it fronts the south, looking over the area of the castle. It was, with the castle, settled in marriage on William-Francis Woodgate, esq. by his father William Woodgate, esq. the purchaster of it, and he now resides in it.
PAGE 236, line 3. The Rev. John Templer sold this estate to William Woodgate, esq. of Somerhill, the present owner of it.
Last line but one. Mr. Woodgate has a third son Stephen.
PAGE 238. There are TWO MORE MANORS in this parish, besides those above described, one in the northern part of it, midway between Hilden and Shipborne, the proper name of which is TILNEY'S LODGE, but now most commonly Horn's lodge, being one of the lodges once belonging to the North Frith chase; it belonged some years since to John Smith, esq. from whom it descended to his son Mathew Smith, esq. of the tower of London, the present owner of it. The other, called NONSUCH MANOR, is situated on the opposite side of this parish, a little beyond Southborough and the 23d mile-stone, on the road to Tunbridge-Wells; it lately belonged to John Whitaker, gent. of Barming, and is now possessed by his trustee Mr. Richard Hollaway, gent.
PAGE 254, line 14. Thomas Hooker, esq. has since sold these thitheries of Haysden and Little Barden, to the Rev. Johnson Towers, the present owner of them.
Line 16. The postern tithery now belongs to the Rev. John Weller Poley.
Line 18. For Barn read Bourn-mill tithery.
Line 19. Southborough tithery, containing the divisions of Tunbridge-Wells; Southborough forest and park, containing the tithes of 6799 acres, now belongs to John Broadhurst, esq. of Duffield, in Derbyshire.
PAGE 255. For J. R. Papillon, the present vicar, read John Rawstorne Papillon.
PAGE 260. line 10. Oliver North, vicar, was likewise vicar of West Farleigh, where he died in 1675, and was buried in that church, he should therefore be placed before Vanderlure, who must have succeeded him in 1675.
PAGE 264. Halkwell has been since purchased by William Woodgate, esq. of Somerhill, the present owner of it.
PAGE 275, line 26. The church is remarkably small, it is a venerable old gothic building, kept in excellent preservation, and very neat; in the body of it is a large blue gravestone of granite, which has the marks of having been once richly ornamented with brass, no part of which now remains. The arms of archbishop Warham were till within these few years in the east window of the chancel. The gridiron of St. Laurence, its tutelary saint, is placed on the top of the steeple, the church being placed on the summit of a rock, is a very conspicuous object to the adjacent country for a number of miles.
PAGE 278. line 23. For Harbroc read Harbroe.
PAGE 279. Thomas Winterbottom, rector, was buried at Bromley, in this county, in 1717.
PAGE 282, line 7 from the bottom. The estate of Mr. Thomas Outeridge has been since sold to John Hooker, esq. of Broadoak, the present owner of it.
PAGE 293, line 4 from the bottom. Mr. George Courthope is since dead, and his eldest son of the same name mentioned before, is now the possessor of this rectory and the advowson of the vicarage.
PAGE 301, last line but four. Sir John Filmer, at his death devised this manor of Hodleigh to his lady for her life, remainder to his next brother and heir Sir Beversham Filmer, bart. now of East Sutton.
PAGE 320, line 13. Add to the CHARITIES—Sir Charles Booth, of Harrietsham—place, by his will in 1792 devised, among other like charities, the sum of 1000l. to his trustees, to be invested by them in the funds, the interest to be applied towards the providing of a schoolmaster and mistress to instruct poor boys and girls, inhabitants of or near this parish, to read and write, in such manner as the trustees should think proper.
PAGE 325. THE PARISH, though the church is within the hundred of Eyhorne, extends into five different hundreds, viz. Eyhorne, Cranbrooke; Teynham, Barkley and Calehill, by which the four bridges in it are respectively repaired. The farms in it are but small, the lands of which are let from ten to twenty shillings an acre, the produce being from two seams and an half to four seams of corn per acre. There are about ninety acres of hop-ground, and but little woodland, the principal wood in it being little more than thirty acres. There is neither spring nor well in the parish, the inhabitants obtaining their water from large ponds or reservoirs digged near their dwellings. In rainy seasons the meadows are flooded to a great extent, owing to the many streams which run in different directions across the parish towards the river, as well as to their low and flat situation.
PAGE 329, line 22. Mr. Jeremiah Curteis, gent. of Rye, afterwards sold this estate in different parcels, that part of it called Mottenden farm, on which was the antient scite of the priory, of the buildings of which there are now no remains, was sold to Mr. James Buss, of Smarden. Sir John Filmer, bart. purchased all that part of it which lies in the Two Suttons, and one Loudwell bought another part of it, being a farm called the Four Oaks.
PAGE 332, line 19. Rushford is now in the possession of his widow Mrs. Wade.
Line 20. SOUTHOLMENDEN MANOR is now called SOUTHALBANS.
PAGE 334. The church-yard in which the church stands is remarkably large.
Last line. This sum is still paid to the vicar by the possessors of the rectory.
PAGE 335, line 27. The Rev. Samuel Whiston, vicar, gave by his will in 1716, to his successors, vicars of this church, as long as they continued such, the present vicaragehouse, with a garden and an orchard, containing not quite an acre, being all the glebe land belonging to the vicarage, though there is fifteen acres belonging to the parsonage, and he gave likewise by his will to them, as long as they should continue vicars, 5l. yearly, to be paid out of a farm in Biddenden.
PAGE 340, line 11. After Sir Martin Barnham, of London, readby his first wife, who was Urfula Rudston, his siser, and delethe two next lines.
PAGE 341, line 2. Ingram Rider, esq. married Margaret, daughter of Ralph Carr, esq. of Cocken, in Durham, by whom he has had ten sons and five daughters, of whom are now surviving only four sons, Thomas, Ralph-Carr, Ingram, who married Jane Shields, and William-Barnaham, and one daughter Mary-Anne.
Last line but one. For Wierton read Wiarton.
PAGE 334, line 18. For Smith read Smyth.
PAGE 350, line 22. The mansion of this manor has been demolished many years since, in the room of which Mrs. Bouverie erected about forty years ago the present farmshous, belonging to the estate.
PAGE 351. line 25. The church is small, it is in tolerabel good condition, it was new pewed with wainscot by the Rev. Mr. Waterhouse the son, who gave handsomely towards the spire which is covered with oak shingles. The church consists of one isle and chancel, and a treaspet or two corss isles. It was till lately very dark and gloomy, but Mrs. Bouverie has lately improved it with new windows. It has no antient monuments: Mrs. Berkeley, relict of the bishop of Cloyne, lies in a valut built by her son the Rev. Dr. George Berkeley, prebendary of Canterbury, under the chancel.
PAGE 359, line 24. For inheritanbe read inheritance.
PAGE 364. Henry Jones, vicar, was succeeded in 1783 by James Williamson, A.M. who held it by dispenstation with the vicarage of Woodnesborough, near Sandwich; he resigned both in 1785, and was succeeded in them by the Rev John Smity, A.M. the present vicar of both parishes.
PAGE 380, last line. Mrs. Filmer lies buried in a valut in the church-yard, to whose memory there is a handsome monument erected by her husband the present Sir Beversham Filemer bart.
PAGE 385. The name of this parish is, as I am since informed, usually spelt ULCOMBE, which should be observed throughout the several volumes.
PAGE 386, line 1. The village is near the bottom, or as it is termed, under the hill.
Line 6. Of the three houses mentioned as belonging to the family of Belcher, that at Knowle-hill belongs to William Belcher, M.D. of Maidstone, who occasionally resides in it. Mr. Edward Belcher's house, and that of Mr. Thomson, are both occupied by the tenants of the lands belonging to them. Opposite the house late Mr. Thomson's, is one which has been the property and residence of the family of Handfield, of which there is a pedigree in the heraldic visitation of Kent, anno 1619, it is now the property and residence of Stephen Handfield, esq.
PAGE 387, line 16. The mill at Chegworth is turned by the river Len, which rises at Ewell, in Lenham, and some springs which join it at Harrietsham, whence it passes through Leeds-castle park to Maidstone, where it joins the Medway. The several small streamlets which rise on the side of the hill, one of which turns a mill just below the parsonage, whence watering the lower part of this parish they join the larger stream of the Medway, a little above Hockenbury-bridge.
PAGE 394, line 2 from bottom. On the division of Mr. Jemmett's and Mr. Marshall's estates in 1793, this manor was allotted to Mr. Marshall, who is now the possessor of it.
PAGE 397, line 24. For the high road runs, read the high road till lately run, but since the improvements made by the new Turnpike Act, it is made to run further north by a shorter cut through the towns of Charing and Lenham, as will be further mentioned in the latter parish.
PAGE 416, last line. The market formerly held at Sandway has been for some years disused.
PAGE 417, line 6. The high road from Ashford, which till lately went over Charing and Lenham, otherwise Royton heaths, by Chilson park pales, through Sandway, and over Biggin-heath is entirely disused as to the general communication between Ashford and Maidstone, since the new turnpike road has been completed, with several new cuts, shortening the distance between the two towns to not more than twenty miles, through those of Charing and Lenham, by Harrietsham church, and thence by the front of Milgate, and the Mote, lord Romney's, to the towns of Maidstone.
PAGE 417, line 12. The Ham estate belonged to the Briant's, and was sold by one of them in 1795, to Mr. Richard Groombridge, the present possessor, who resides at it.
PAGE 423, line 3. The different spellings of the name of Colepeper and Culpeper throughout these volumes cannot escape the reader's notice, not only books of history, but records, and even deeds and registers of parishes vary in it continually, even in the spellings of the same person's name, as such, it is spelt throughout these volumes as it occurs in the several books and records from whence the subject is taken.
PAGE 427, line 21. Mrs. Cromp, widow of the Rev. Mr. Cromp, is now possessed of it.
PAGE 436, fifth line from the bottom. The manor of East Shelve, alias Cobham, is the only one of the Shelve's, for which a court is now held.
In this parish is a manor called WHITE'S, the property of Thomas Gillow, esq. of St. Nicholas, in Thanet.
PAGE 445, line 4. Thomas Scott, vicar, died in 1792.
PAGE 445, four lines from the bottom. The high road from Ashford, by the new improvement of it, is made to go in a strict line from Lenham, by Harrietsham church, and so on by Leeds park pales.
PAGE 446, line 6 and 7. For Holme-mill read Polhill and Farborne; Holme-mill is now only a cottage.
PAGE 450, line 4 from the bottom. Mr. Baldwin's arms are Gules, a griffin, rampant, or.
PAGE 452. There is an estate called LITTLE FARBORNE, alias Little Harrietsham, situated here, to the south-west of Lower-street, within the manor of East Farborne, which was attempted a few years ago to have been accounted a manor, and two courts, or what were called so, were held for it, but not answering the purpose, the design has been dropped; it belonged formerly to Mr. James Tapley, afterwards to Mr. Cable, of Strood, and now by purchase to Mr. Webb, of Harrietsham.
PAGE 459. Add to the charities, the three pieces of land divided between the poor of this parish and Hollingborne, were given by the widow of Francis Colepeper, esq. of Hollingborne.
Sir Charles Booth, by his will in 1792, gave 150cl. to be invested in the funds, in the name of his executors, the owner of Harrietsham-place, and the rector of this parish for ever, the interest to be applied to provide a schoolmaster and mistress, to teach poor boys and girls, inhabitants, or near to this parish, to read and write, as the trustees should think proper; also the sum of 500l. to be invested in like manner, and in the like trust, the interest of it to be divided into fiftytwo equal portions, and laid out in bread for ever, to be distributed each Sunday in the year by the churchwardens and overseers, to such poor persons resident in the parish as they and the trustees shall think proper, such poor, if not disabled by age or sickness, attending divine service; and he gave besides 100l. for the benefit of the poor of the parish.
Line 10 from bottom. The church is now ceiling, and a handsome new altar-piece putting up at the joint expence of the parish and Mr. Baldwin, who in 1786 gave a handsome suit of furniture, of scarlet cloth trimmed with gold lace, for the use of the desk and pulpit.
PAGE 461. In the present state of Hollingborne read as follows: The parish is about twenty-three miles round, and contains about 5000 acres of land, and is assessed to the poor's rate at 2500l. per ann. at the bottom of the chalk hills runs the Pilgrim road, continuing in a like direction throughout the county. The well-looking brick mansion mentioned as of the time of queen Elizabeth, is the parsonage-house, which being leased out, the rector has some rooms in it reserved for his use, when he chuses to reside in it; it is reported to have been built by one of the Colepeper family. Sir Martin Bernham bought the lease of this parsonage in 1576, of which there were then near forty years unexpired, for 1100l. and shortly after came and resided in it, which he continued to do till his death in 1610, when he left the lease to his children by his second wife.
The two good houses mentioned, one belonging to Robert Salmon, esq. was only rented by him of lord Fairfax, who demised it in 1793 to Mr. Daniel Newman, who now resides in it. The other, built by Mr. Weeks, was sold by his heirs in 1790 to Richard Thomas, esq. who now resides in it.
The high Ashford road does not now lead through Bersted, it has been lately turned to go by the front of Mr. Cage's house at Milgate.
The south part of the parish, though sandy, bears good corn, and there are some fine meadow grounds. The north part is now much improved by generally thinning the hedgerows, cutting down the coppice wood, and by a much better cultivation than formerly. Eyhorne-green joins to Eyhornestreet; in the latter a fair is held on June 16, yearly, for pedlary, toys, &c.
Page 462, line 8. Dele or as it is commonly called Broadstreet; the latter, usually called Brad-street, lies about a mile north-west from Eyhorne-street, near the hills.
Page 464, line 14. There seems to be no manor-house, the court for the manor is usually held at a public-house in Eyhorne-street.
Page 468, line 13. The whole of the property once belonging to the Colepeper family, is now held in trust by Dent and Keysal, for lady Sarah Robert Fane, second child of the earl of Westmoreland, by his wife, the only daughter and heir of Robert Child, esq. who left all his estates to the second child of the earl, by his daughter, provided such child was christened Robert, intending (as he disapproved of the marriage) that his estates, and those of the earl's, should not be consolidated in the same possessor; thus the word, child, instead of son, whether intentionally inserted or not by the framer of the will, entitles lord Westmoreland's second child, although a daughter, but named according to the will, to all Mr. Child's estates, and those in Hollingborne among them. Greenway-court house becoming ruinous, was taken down in 1786, and a convenient brick farm-house erected on the scite of it.
Line 13. Ripple manor-house is situated at the western boundary of this parish, towards Thurnham.
Page 469, line 10. Sir Francis Barnham resided at the parsonage-house in Hollingborne-street till his death in 1610, his seat on Hollingborne-hill being new-built by him, and just finished before his death. He left this manor to his el dest son (by his firstwife, daughter of Robert Rudstone, esq.) Sir F. Barnham, &c.
Page 469, line 6 from the bottom. Murston manor; the house on it, which is a very respectable one, is called Snagsbrook.
Page 471, line 17. Sir Francis Barnham resided at Hollingborne parsonage, this seat on Hollingborne-hill being but just finished by him in the year he died. His son Sir Francis afterwards resided in it.
Page 478. William Hassell, vicar, died Dec. 19, 1789. The present vicar was collated June 11, and inducted June 14, 1790. The sinecure rectory is still vacant.
Page 472, last line. Mr. Duppa is now rebuilding this seat, during the time of which he resides at Downe-court, in Doddington.
On the summit of the hill, at the south-east boundaries of this parish, next to Harrietsham, is a small hamlet, consisting of only three houses, belonging to farms of but small rents, which, however insignificant it may seem now, seems antiently to have been of some account, having been thought of sufficient consequence to be entered in the survey of Domesday, under the title of the possessions of Odo, bishop of Baieux, as follows:
Richard holds of the bishop Rongostone, it was taxed at one suling. The arable land is . . . . . There are two villeins, having one carucate, and it paid six shillings in the time of king Edward the Confessor, and afterwards, and now it is worth sorty shillings. Ulviet held it of king Edward.
After the forfeiture of the bishop's estates to the crown, this of Ringlestone came into the possession of the family of Gerund, and afterwards of the Chalfhunt's, (fn. 1) and the Hadde's, of Frinsted, whence a part of it in queen Elizabeth's reign was alienated to Buck, and in king Charles the 1st.'s reign was in the possession of the Finch's, of Kingsdown.
But that part of it which remained in the possession of the family of Hadde, after some intermediate owners, came by marriage into the name of Giles, whose widow in king Charles the IId.'s reign, alienated it to Francis Barrell, esq. sergeant-at-law, and recorder of Rochester, whose grandson Francis Barrell, esq. of London, left two daughters his coheirs, Anne, married to the Rev. Francis Dodsworth, treasurer of Salisbury, prebendary of York, vicar of Minster, in Thanet, and of Doddington, in this county; and Catherine to the Rev. Frederick Dodsworth, canon of Windsor, brother to the former, who in right of their respective wives are now become entitled to this estate. They bear for their arms, Argent, a bend engrailed, sable, between three annulets, gules.
Page 479, line 14. For Bersted read Milgate, in Bersted.
Page 498, line 6 from the bottom. There is a small manor in this parish called Burgess, which belonged lately to Mr. Joseph-Paul Ash, whose nephew of the same name now owns it.
Page 502. Dr. Fairfax resigned to curacy of Leeds with Bromsfield in 1793, and was succeeded by the Rev. Charles Cage, who resigned in 1795, and was succeeded by the Rev. James Young, A. M. the present curate.
Page 505, last line but two. The high road from Ashford to Lenham, and thence to Maidstone, by the improvements made in consequence of the late Turnpike Act, is now altered and instead of going over Bersted green, now goes by the front of Milgate-house, and so by lord Romney's to Maidstone.
Page 509, last line. Otteridge is now become by purchase the property of Mr. John Russell, of Maidstone.
Page 516, line 21. William Henley, esq. died lately at Gore-court, s. p.
Page 527, last line but two. I am informed Dr. Marsham is only tenant of Aldington-court.
Page 544, line 3. Hall-place now belongs solely to Samuel-Elias Sawbridge, esq. who has quitted Olantigh, and now resides in it.
Page 557, line 26. Miss Henrietta-Maria Cromp married the Rev. Thomas Jordan, rector of Hickling, in Nottinghamshire.
Page 558, line 4. James Chapman, esq. sold Meriams, alias Madanis-court, in 1797, to Mr. John Hudson, of Frinsted, the present possessor of it.
Page 559, line 10. Yokes-court is now divided, Mr. Henry Bing having in 1794, sold 112 acres of the demesnes of it, lying on the north-east side of the church, to Mr. Edward Brenchley, of Sittingborne, the remainder, with the manerial rights, continue with Mr. Bing.
Page 560, line 11. Mr. Henry Bing, in 1789, sold this advowson to the Rev. Richard Cook Tylden, rector of this church, who is the present owner of it.
Page 566, line 14. The estate of Northwood is partly in this parish and partly in Wormsell, it was sold from the Chamber's to John Hudson, the present owner of it.
Page 573, line 25. The manor of Southdean belonged formerly to the Callant's, of Rochester, and then to John Lemors, after which it was sold to Mr. John Hudson, the present owner.
Last line but three. The several estates held of the manor of Milton are in the rolls of it in general called Yokes.
Page 578, line 15. Mr. Jumper has sold Yelsted manor and Hill-green-house, to Flint Stadey, esq. the present proprietor of them, but he still resides in Hill-green-house.
Page 579, last line. Edward Austen, esq. is of Rolling, in Goodnestone.
Page 588, last line. After iii. add pt. 2.