The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 6. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1798.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Page 74, line 3. Jemmett and Marshall afterwards, in 1793, divided the estates left to them by Mr. Grove, and this of Posiers, with Uigo, alias Gorts manor, became the property of Mr. Marshall solely, who sold it to Mr. Henry Wife, who resides at Posiers.
Last line but seven. The farm in Wood, or Hoad-street, formerly the Allen's, afterwards became the property of Mrs. Susanna Hendress, of Rochester, after whose death it came to the Messrs. Sutherlands, who sold it to Mr. John Vinson, the present owner, who resides at it.
Page 75, line 20. The estate of Wrens continued in the name of Allen, of Boley-hill, in Rochester, a different family from those of Hoad-street, till Mr. Netter Lacy, who by will in 1756, gave it to his son-in-law Mr. Robert Lacy, of Maidstone, and afterwards to his three daughters, from whom and their heirs it was sold in 1788, to William Wife, gent. of Borden, who has since sitted up the house, and his son Mr. John Wise resides at it.
Page 98. The road through this parish to Sittingborne and Milton, which passes through this village, has a tolerable thoroughfare, and a considerable traffic is carried on through it by carriages of various descriptions, from below the hill to the keys of Milton and Sittingborne, loaded with corn, hops, wood, &c. for London and other parts; and coals, ashes, coke, and other materials are conveyed back again in them to the different villages below Hollingborne-hill. The land in this parish is very much improved of late, by being laid down with various kinds of seeds, and spread with coal ashes from London, as well as by the flocks of sheep solded and sed on them.
THERE is another manor in this parish, stiled THE MANOR, or YOKE OF PETER DODSWELL, alias BAXON, which was formerly possessed by the Watts's, and afterwards by the Grayling's; it is now the property of Thomas Fagge and Mildred his wife.
THERE IS HERE likewise a small manor, called BUTTERS, which formerly belonged to George Isles, esq. of Deptford, who devised it to admiral Evans, and he sold it to Mr. Thomas Pye, the present owner of it.
Page 102, line 20. James Chapman, esq. died at his estate called Petts, in Bredgar, in 1797, and devised this, among other estates, to trustees, for the benefit of the ten children of Mr. William Dyne, of Milton, near Sittingborne, to be equally divided between them. See further of them under Eastchurch, p. 575.
Page 158, line 2. Mr. Drake left three surviving sons and two daughters, in whom, and the daughters of his eldest son William Drake, esq. jun. of Amersham, deceased, the interest in his several Kentish estates is now vested. See Preston, near Faversham.
Page 167, line 20. Add the Rev. Mr. J. Lough, perpetual curate of Iwade, but resident in the town of Milton in 1782, established a grammar-school for young gentlemen here, and though the prospect of success was very hazardous, yet, by his attention and perseverance, greatly to his praise, succeeded in it to the utmost of his wishes. His school is now in such good repute, that it consists of between forty and fifty boarders, and as many day scholars, and is continually increasing in number.
PAGE 202, line 7 from the bottom. Add, This portion of tithes, arising from a part only of this parish, including Bobbing-court, &c. and a farm belonging to it, called Parsonagefarm, was the property of the late Cockin Sole, esq. and was sold in pursuance of his will in 1796, to Mr. Valentine Simpson, of Sittingborne, who is the present owner of them.
Page 258, line 15. Mr. James Chapman, at his death in 1797, gave this estate, now called Little Shurland, alias the Parsonage, among others in this county, by will to trustees, for the benefit of the ten children of Mr. William Dyne, of Milton, by his sister Essield, deceased, viz. William, John, Chapman; Mary, wife of Nicholas Woolett; Effield, of the Rev. Joseph Messester; Eleanor, of William Castle; Margaret, Sophia, Jemima, and Amy.
Page 262, line 10 from the bottom. The daughters of Richard Hart, afterwards married, Mary to John Bristow, jun. gent, of Sussex; Elizabeth to James Jell, gent, of the same county, and Diana-Hosier to Thomas Bennett, esq. of Faversham; and on the division of their estates, the patronage of this rectory was allotted to the two latter in right of their wives, and they now continue joint owners of it.
Page 305, line 10. Sir John Roper, the first lord Teynham, who died in 1618, lies buried in the vault made by him under the south chancel. In the chancel is a noble altar tomb of marble, with the figures of him and his lady lying at full length on it. His son Christopher, lord Teynham, lies buried in it likewise; and in the chancel is an handsome tomb of marble, with his effigies in armour on it, in full proportion, and that of his wife, who survived him, both kneeling before an open book on a reading desk. Several of the family of Greenstreet lie buried in the middle isle.
Page 336, line 28. Mr. Stephen Gillow left three daughters his coheirs, Elizabeth, Catherine, and Anne. His widow Mrs. Gillow now resides in it, who has since her husband's death much improved the house of Cooksditch, by adding two handsome wings to it.
Page 338, line 6 from the bottom. Ewell manor, after the death of Mr. Thomas Gillow, of St. Nicholas, who had purchased it in 1723, descended jointly, among other estates, to Thomas Gillow, of St. Nicholas, and the Stephen Gillow, of Cooksditch; and on the division of their property, it became the sole property of the latter, whose widow Mrs. Gillow now possesses the whole of it.
Page 389, line 10 from the bottom. The Ham estate is divided into Great and Little Ham, of the former, which is freehold, part of it only lies in this parish, and the remainder, being the greatest part of it, as well as all Little Ham, lies in the parish of Preston. The latter belongs to the dean and chapter of Canterbury, and was lately held, together with Copton, in Preston, by the late James Jeffrys, esq. who sold his interest in the lease of it to John Waller, esq. of Perry, who now possesses it.
Page 393. There is no village in it, only nine houses interspersed in different parts of it, though there is some good corn land, there is yet some very light in it, Mrs. Brydges's farm is called Little Buckland.
Page 413. The parish contains by computation near 1800 acres, one third of which is woodland and pasture. It extends from the valley towards Easling about half a mile, and towards Otterden about a mile and an half.
Page 426, line 4. Mr. William Jemmett and Mr. William Marshall afterwards, in 1793, made a division of these estates, in which this of North-court was allotted Mr. Marshall, and he is now sole owner of it.
Page 430, line 6. On the division of their estates in 1793, this manor of Huntingfield, with its appendages in Ulcombe and Sheldwich, were allotted to Mr. Marshall, who is now the sole possessor of them.
Page 479, line 10. I am informed that only those manors and estates, which came by the will of the earl of Rockingham to the late Lewis, lord Sondes, descended to his eldest son the present Lewis-Thomas, lord Sondes, and that those which the late lord had at any time purchased, were again bought by the present lord Sondes of the devisees, under his father's will, and that the purchase money of them went to his younger brothers.
Page 511, line 18. Mr. P. Greenstreet sold the mansion only, with the demesne lands, or farm of Plumpford, and the manor, with the demesne lands or farm of Painters, to Sir Henry Furnese, which descended down as there mentioned, to the Earl of Guildford, the present owner of them; but THE MANOR OF PLUMPFORD, with those of DENTON and Scooks, alias SCROOKS, in this parish likewise, passed into the name of Grove, in which it continued till Rich. Grove, esq. of London, dying s. p. in 1792, devised them to Mr. William Jemmett and Mr. William Marshall, who next year made a partition of the estates left to them by Mr. Grove, in which these above-mentioned in Ospringe, were allotted to Mr. William Jemmett, who is now the sole possessor of them.