The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 8. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1799.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF STOWTING.
THE next hundred from that of Bircholt Barony, eastward, is that of Stowting, called in the record of Domesday both Stotinges and Estolinges. In the reign of king Henry III. it was held by the family of Heringod, one of whom, Stephen Heringod, lord likewise of the manor of Stowting, died possessed of it in the 41st year of it, holding it of the king in capite, by the service of six men and one constable, to guard the passage of the sea, if it should be necessary on account of the king's enemies, at Sandgate. And in his successors, owners of that manor, this hundred has continued down to Mr. John Jenkin, gent. and his nephew Mr. William Jenkin, clerk, of Sussex, the present proprietors of the court leet of this hundred, and court baron of the manor of Stowting.