The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 8. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1799.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF ALOESBRIDGE
LIES the next southward from that of Ham lastdescribed. It is written in Domesday both Adilovtesbrige and Adelovesbridge, and in other antient records, Alolvesbridge. Somner thinks it probable that it took its name from some great person, called Alofe, a name frequent both in Domesday and other records, as the possessor of estates in this part of it at the time of the Saxons and afterwards.
And the churches of those parishes, and likewise part of the parishes of IVECHURCH and NEWCHURCH, the churches of which are in other hundreds. One constable has jurisdiction over it. The whole of it lies within the levels of Romney and Walland Marshes.