The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 8. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1799.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF WORTH,
WRITTEN in Domesday,Werde, is the next hundred south-westward from Hythe. In the 20th year of king Edward III. it was written as at present.
IT CONTAINS WITHIN ITS BOUNDS THE PARISHES OF
1. WEST HYTHE in part.
5. BLACKMANSTONE; and
And the churches of those parishes; and likewise part of the parishes of LIMNE AND NEWCHURCH, the churches of which are in other hundreds.
This hundred, excepting that part of the parish of West Hythe within the bounds of it, lies wholly in the district of Romney Marsh, and within the liberties and jurisdiction of the justices of the same.
It was intended to have described all the parishes lying on the quarry-hills above the marsh first, and then those in the marsh altogether, in order to prevent the frequent change from the marsh to the upland country and back again, in the descriptions of them; but the hundreds remaining undescribed in this lath extending promiscuously over parishes both on the hills and in the marsh, has entirely prevented that method being pursued.