The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1800.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF BRIDGE AND PETHAM
LIES the next hundred southward from that of Downhamford. It was formerly two separate hundreds, viz. of Bridge, and of Petham, called in Domesday, Brige and Piteham, and they appear to have been distinct in king Edward III.'s reign.
IT CONTAINS WITHIN ITS BOUNDS THE FOLLOWING
3. NACKINGTON in part.
4. LOWER HARDRES.
5. UPPER HARDRES in part.
6. PETHAM; and
7. WALTHAM in part.
And the churches of those parishes; and likewise part of the parishes of CHARTHAM, and ST. STEPHEN'S, alias HACKINGTON, the churches of which are in other hundreds. Two constables have jurisdiction over it.
A court leet, of which the king is lord, is held yearly for chusing a constable for the hundred of Bridge, and the several borsholders in it.