Pages 64-66

Survey of London Monograph 10, Morden College, Blackheath. Originally published by Guild & School of Handicraft, London, 1916.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.



Bibliographical References.

1664. Third Visitation of London (D. 19), Register of Pedigrees. Fo. 73. College of Arms.
1677. Little London Directory. J.C. Holton, Piccadilly. Reprinted 1823.
1708. Certificate of Burial of Sir John Morden. College of Arms.
1720. Magna Britannia et Hibernia. Vol. 2, p. 1078. Rev. Thomas Cox.
1720. Survey of London by John Stow. Edition by Rev. J. Strype. Vol. 1, pp. 219–224.
1720. List of the Works of Sir Christopher Wren (signed by himself), compiled by his son Stephen Wren. Lansdowne MSS. No. 698. British Museum. (This list is printed in Elmes' "Memoirs," and in the article on Wren in the "Dictionary of Architecture," issued by the Architectural Publication Society, Vol. 8.)
1721. Hist. Register, Chron. Diary, p. 28.
1724. A Tour thro' the whole Island of Great Britain. [Daniel Defoe.] Letter II., pp. 4–6.
1778. History of Kent. E. Hasted. Vol. 1, pp. 37–38. (See below, 1886.)
1787. The Ambulator, or The Stranger's Companion in a Tour Round London . . . . 3rd edition, p. 153. Printed for J. Bew in Paternoster Row.
1796. The Environs of London. Vol. 4, pp. 338–339. The Rev. D. Lysons. (The extra illustrated copy at the Guildhall Library should be consulted.)
1806–9. London, being an accurate survey and description of the British Metropolis and neighbourhood. Vol. 5, p. 121. David Hughson, LL.D. (Pugh.)
1828. (Circa.) History of Kent. By W. H. Ireland. Vol. IV., pp. 682–686.
1853. (Revised 1867.) Rough Notes toward a Memoir of Sir John Morden, Bart., founder of Morden College, Blackheath. Henry Smith, Treasurer. Greenwich: H. Richardson.
1857. Brief Historical Relation. N. Luttrell. vi. 347–348.
1885. Echoes from Theocritus, etc. Sonnets (25–26). E. C. Lefoy.
1886. Hasted's History of Kent. Part I. Hundred of Blackheath. Edited by H. H. Drake. pp. 125–127, etc.
1890. Notes and Queries. 7th Ser. x. 56.
1892. Historical MSS. Commission. 13th Rep. App. V. 412.
1911–16. Princess Ælfrida's Charity. 7 parts. (A history of Morden College, and the property forming its endowment, from the earliest times.) Henry Lansdell, D.D.

A volume of notes, papers, portraits and poetical effusions, collected by Horatio Elphinstone Rivers, Treasurer of Morden College from 1872, is mentioned by the writer of the notice of Sir John Morden in the "Dictionary of National Biography."

The following works on architecture and on Sir Christopher Wren contain references to the College:—

1852. Sir Christopher Wren and his Times, p. 329. James Elmes.
1893. Inigo Jones and Wren, p. 170. Rev. W.J. Loftie.
1894. Renaissance Architecture in England. Reginald Blomfield.
1897. History of Renaissance Architecture in England. p. 184.
1901. The Later Renaissance Architecture in England. J. Belcher and Mervyn D. Macartney.
1908. Sir Christopher Wren. p. 193. Lena Milman.
1911. A History of Architecture in London. Walter H. Godfrey.

The following works of reference contain information concerning Sir John Morden and the College:—

1835. Synopsis of the Extinct Baronetage of England. William Courthorpe.
1844. Extinct Baronetcies, p. 367. J. and J. B. Burke.
1873. Pedigrees of the Knights. MS. volume at the College of Arms. La Neve.
1876. Handbook of the Environs of London. James Thorne, F.S.A.
1892. Murray's Handbook of Kent. (Blackheath.)
1900. London and Environs. Baedeker.
1904. Complete Baronetage. Vol. 4 (1665–1707). Cockaigne, pp. 152–3.

The Dictionary of National Biography.

Prints and Drawings, etc., including Illustrated and other Articles in Periodicals.

Engraving of the west front of the College in the Universal Magazine. Published by J. Hinton at the King's Arms, St. Paul's Churchyard.

1722. Engraving by J. Kyp in "Views of Kent" (Badeslide). This engraving is reproduced in Strype's edition of the "Survey of London" by John Stow.
1741. Survey within Ten Miles of London, by John Rocque.
1849. Water-colour drawing by J. C. Buckler, F.S.A., dated Oct. 1849. (This is preserved in the dining-hall of the College, which possesses several other original drawings of the buildings.)
1890. The Architect. July 11, 1890. Plates Nos. 242 and 243 by the Architectural Illustration Society.
1899. Architectural Association Notes. June 1899. Drawings by Horace Farquharson.
1899 and 1901. The Architectural Association Sketch Book, 3rd Series :—
1899, Vol. IV., Organ Loft, drawing by G. N. Clift.
1901, Vol. V., measured drawings by T. F. Green, and mouldings by Horace Farquharson, Plates 3–7.
1904. The Builders' Journal and Architectural Record. 16 March 1904. Drawing of Organ Loft, by A. C. Bossom.
1906–8. The Architectural Review. Vol. 19, No. 115; Vol. 22, No. 133; and Vol. 23, Nos. 134–5. Illustrated articles by T. Frank Green.
1908. The Kentish Independent. August 1908.
1908. The Estates Gazette.
1910. Country and Town. Feb. 1, 1910. A 17th century Haven of Refuge. Cecil A. Sharpe.

Note.—In the Imperial Art Museum, Vienna, is a full-size replica of the chapel vestibule in oak, made by J. S. Henry and Sons, of Old Street, St. Luke's, in 1908, to the order of the Austrian Government.