Survey of London: Volume 1, Bromley-By-Bow. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1900.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
VII.—NOS. 142 and 144, ST. LEONARD'S-STREET.
General description and date of works.
These are the last of an interesting group of buildings which stood until very few years since upon the spot. In construction and appearance they are very similar to the "Seven Stars" public-house, and the houses adjoining it in the High-street, and may be of the same date. The fronts are of timber framing with weatherboarding over. The lower storey is built on a foundation of bricks, and the upper storey projects about two feet beyond the lower one; one of the curved brackets supporting the upper storey is still left at the south corner. There is a gable in the centre of the garden front, and the whole face is rough-cast over.
It is probable that these will soon disappear owing to the increase of traffic since the completion of the Blackwall-tunnel. The road at this point is the narrowest, as all the other buildings have been set back as they have been rebuilt.
The "Five Bells" public-house was the most interesting of these; the exterior was rough-cast, and gabled in front, with each storey projecting over the one beneath it, mullioned windows with lead lights, and large fireplaces inside.