Survey of London: Volume 1, Bromley-By-Bow. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1900.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
VIII.—NO. 135, ST. LEONARD'S-STREET.
Ground Landlord, Leaseholders, &c.
The house with the grounds belongs to the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway Company. It was until lately in the possession of Messrs. Jukes, Coulson and Company, and was with its grounds used as an iron works.
General description and date of structure.
The house is about 40 feet square, and is built of yellow bricks; the principal entrance faces south. On the east side, facing the garden and river, is a large circular bay window, and a rain-water pipe-head bearing the date 1784.
The interior was stripped of its fittings, marble chimney-pieces, &c., some years since, and the only remaining thing of interest now is the elliptical arched groining over part of the hall, supported by pilasters with caps ornamented with leafage of Greek character.
The stables and offices are arranged in a long rectangular block of similar construction to the house, with a hipped slate roof, on the south side of the house, and adjoining the road. Over the centre of the block is a pediment.
The grounds extend from the road to the river Lea, and southward from the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway for a distance of 350 feet. The kitchen garden still remains intact, to the south of the grounds and adjoining the river, but is now owned by the Gas Light and Coke Company, and let out in garden allotments. The original extent of the grounds was about 4½ acres.
Condition of repair.
The above account was written in 1896. Since then the house, with the stables, has been pulled down, and the whole ground cleared preparatory to building a goods depot, which is now (1898) in course of construction.
There was a house of somewhat similar character to this (No. 133) on the north side of the railway, standing in the works of Messrs. Fraser and Fraser, Limited. It was destroyed about eight years since for the purpose of extending their workshops.