Survey of London: Volume 10, St. Margaret, Westminster, Part I: Queen Anne's Gate Area. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XXXVI.—No. 22 QUEEN ANNE'S GATE (Formerly No. 3 Park Street).
Ground Landlord, Etc.
The freehold is the property of Christ's Hospital. The house is at present occupied by Mr. F. N. Pickett.
Externally these premises are similar to the rest of the houses in this part of the street, and comprise a brick exterior of four storeys over a basement.
The entrance hall has been altered by constructing a lift shaft between the basement and the top floors which also cuts off a portion of the front room on the first floor. The former staircase has been taken out and a plain one of wood substituted, while the interposition of a lantern light below the original domed skylight has materially reduced the lighting.
The back room on the ground floor is of ample proportions, and the walls and ceiling have ornamental plaster panels painted with subjects typical of the work of Angelica Kauffmann (Plate 82). The carved mantelpiece is executed in white and sienna marbles.
On the first floor the front-room ceiling is ornamented with geometrical patterns and swags in low relief, with clusters of emblems equally spaced around a central device (Plate 83). The mantelpiece is carved in white marble and Brocatella marble inlay, and has a sculptured central tablet containing Cupids. The back room (Plate 84) has an ornamented plaster ceiling with large painted panels similar in character to those on the lower floor, while the marble mantelpiece has the centre tablet sculptured, representing a warrior being carried off the field of battle, a scene repeated in a mantelpiece in No. 16. Some of the chief rooms in this house, as in other houses on the same side of this part of the street, have oak floor-boards.
Condition of Repair.
According to the ratebooks, the names of the occupiers of this house up to 1840 were as follows:—
|1776–79||Col. Jas. Crawford. (fn. n1)|
In the Council's Collection are:—
(fn. n2) General view of back room on ground floor (photograph).
General view of mantelpiece, back room on ground floor (photograph).
(fn. n2) Plaster ceiling to front room on first floor (photograph).
Mantelpiece, front room on first floor (photograph).
(fn. n2) General view to back room on first floor (photograph).
Ceiling to segmental end of back room on first floor (photograph).
(fn. n2) Ground and first-floor plans (measured drawing).