Survey of London: Volume 19, the Parish of St Pancras Part 2: Old St Pancras and Kentish Town. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1938.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XXII—SITE OF THE COW AND HARE
The present Survey commences at the junction of Swain's Lane with West Hill, Highgate, north of which, enclosed by the two thoroughfares, formerly stood the Cow and Hare Inn. The site is now occupied by the church of St. Anne, Brookfield, and its Vicarage. Its earlier ownership is given in detail in the first part of the Survey of St. Pancras (Highgate, p. 68). An engraving of the inn is given on Plate 2, the view being taken from Swain's' Lane looking westwards towards Parliament Hill Fields. The engraving hangs in the Highgate Literary and Scientific Institution, and used to bear an erroneous inscription to the effect that the inn stood on the site of the Institution, at the northern end of Swain's Lane. The incorrectness of this identification is patent and is confirmed by the footpath shown in the drawing, which is the old right of way known as Bromwich Walk (see Highgate, p. 68) that crossed the lane and continued for a short distance towards Kentish Town. It can be seen clearly on Rocque's Map of London and ten miles round, from a survey made 1741–5.