Survey of London: Volume 21, the Parish of St Pancras Part 3: Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1949.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Euston Crescent, which was demolished in 1937, lay just south of the station, west of the main entrance. The crescent, which was faced with plain stucco, was composed of seven three-storey houses in the centre with five two-storey houses on each side, seventeen in all. They had basements in addition, and the lower houses at the sides had attics, with dormer windows, within a mansard roof. Each house had two windows on the upper floors, which were square-sash windows in the central portion and arched in the wings. The ground floor had alternate doors and windows all with semicircular arched heads. The curved sweep of the railings to the basement areas was balanced by an iron railing enclosing the garden within the crescent on the north side of Euston Street. The first-floor windows of the central block had each a separate iron balcony. One or two of the smaller houses had had balconies added. The end houses were entered from Euston Street.