Survey of London: Volume 21, the Parish of St Pancras Part 3: Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1949.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(formerly North Street)
This street was originally known as North Street and connects Charlotte Street with Whitfield Street. It marked the southern limit of the Bedford estate on this side of Tottenham Court Road; and the leases of the sites on the north side (to William Gowing, builder) date from 1776. (fn. 42)
There is very little left of the original street. Nos. 2 and 3 have no marked character but retain their old railings. No. 4, The White Horse public house, has been rebuilt. No. 5 has an old doorcase with a frieze of alternate triglyphs and plates, and No. 6 has been destroyed. These are all on the south; the north side of the street has been rebuilt.