Survey of London: Volume 21, the Parish of St Pancras Part 3: Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1949.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(called at one time Southampton Street)
This street, which connects Maple Street with Fitzroy Square, and continues north of the square to Euston Road, has resumed its name after being called Southampton Street in the interim. Originally the two sections were known as Lower and Upper Conway Street. The numbering is now consecutive through the two parts from south to north, Fitzory Square interventing.
The houses in the southern section, dating from 1792, (fn. 52) are good in design and detail and are in fair repair. Those on the west are of three storeys, Nos. 7, 9 and 11 having rendered ground storeys, the first two being jointed to imitate masonry. No. 13 has an entire stucco front with rusticated ground floor. The doorways of Nos. 7 and 9 are semi-circular headed and round the opening is a hollow chamfer, No. 7 having a key block with a mask (Plate 9). The door to No. 11 has a plain arch and that to No. 13 a lintel. Nos. 9 and 11 retain their fanlights and Nos. 7 and 9 have each a couple of balconies curved in plan, to the first floor windows. No. 13 has a long balcony of Similar design, with curved ends, embracing both windows. In all but No. 11, the first floor windows are lengthened to reach floor level.
On the opposite side of the road there are three good four-storey houses (Nos. 6, 8 and 10) of similar character but entirely brick-faced (Plate 9). They have the same tall windows on the first floor and Nos. 8 and 10 still retain a pair of curved balconies. They all have simple doorcases and fanlights as well as spear-head railings. The leases to William Adam are dated 1795. (fn. 53) The remainder of this part of the street is modern.
The northern section of the street beyond Fitzroy Square is tolerably complete. The western side commences with a modern house, north of which are two houses (Nos. 19 and 21) which are later than 1798 when Nos. 23 to 33 were built. This row is of four storeys with stucco ground floors, Nos. 23 and 25 being rusticated. All have tall windows to the first floor and semi-circular headed doorways with cobweb fanlights. Nos. 23 and 25 have separate balconies to each first-floor window, and Nos. 27, 29 and 31 have long balconies to each pair. The upper floors are in plain stock brickwork. The area railings vary in design and are of cast iron.
The opposite side (Nos. 14 to 20) is similar, but dates from 1793. (fn. 54) The houses are of four storeys with ground floors treated with stucco with horizontal channelling. The doorways have side pilasters and segmental fanlights filled with a circle flanked by loops. The balconies are long, with interlaced gothic ironwork. No. 22, the house adjoining the corner building of Warren Street, is similar but with lower storeys. Its balcony also differs, being formed of alternate straight and undulating bars.