Survey of London: Volume 21, the Parish of St Pancras Part 3: Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1949.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LXXI—UPPER WOBURN PLACE, ENDSLEIGH GARDENS, ENDSLEIGH STREET, ENDSLEIGH PLACE AND TAVITON STREET
The west side of Upper Woburn Place is part of the development commenced by Cubitt in Tavistock and Gordon Squares, and building was continued westward of this until the whole area north of the squares was occupied. The general design was adhered to and the five houses, comprising the Cora Hotel, in Upper Woburn Place (Plates 52 and 53) show only minor variations. Here the order is Corinthian (known as the Tivoli order) with the centre house having four columns and the house on each side four pilasters. The windows on the first floor of the end houses have cornices on brackets, and the windows of the ground floor are arched.
North of this stands the end of a long block of nine houses on the south side of Endsleigh Gardens. The flank to Upper Woburn Place is well designed, with four widely-spaced Corinthian pilasters in addition to those at the angles. A porch, with the entrance flanked by twin pilasters, is centrally placed, and the side windows on the first floor have balconies. This building was formerly connected with the five houses lower down the street by a ground-storey annexe, but this has since been built up the full four storeys, with some damage to the composition.
The front to Endsleigh Gardens shows some further variations (Plate 54). The centre block with four Corinthian columns is flanked on each side by a section with two pilasters, and with three-light windows on all but the first floor which has a pair of french windows. This scheme is repeated at the extremities of the block where they are enclosed on the first and second floors by two pairs of pilasters. Between the centre and the wings, the middle window has a pediment on brackets and two others a cornice and brackets. The division into houses does not correspond with the architectural parts, a fact betrayed by unexpected gaps in the first-floor balconies. The rusticated stucco is restricted here, as before, to the sections furnished with columns or pilasters.
The west end of this block, facing Endsleigh Street, repeats the east end facing Upper Woburn Place, except that some of the windows are blank panels, and the porch has the addition of a balustrade to its parapet.
Endsleigh Place, formerly Gordon Place, (north side) is on the same lines. Out of seven houses, only those at the ends have pilasters. The centre house projects forward but is marked only by architraves to the windows of the upper floors and arched heads to those on the ground floor. Sections of entablature are placed over the first-floor windows. The end of the block towards Taviton Street has a porch and a single window on the first and third floors, between a pair of pilasters. The position of the second-floor window is taken by a large panel of ornament (Plate 55).
The houses in Taviton Street, by omitting the pilaster treatment altogether, mark a declension in design. The long entablature between the second and third floors is rendered meaningless, and the use of heavy architraves to all the windows in the middle storeys is not fortunate.
|See Euston Square (pp. 116, 117). The south side was renumbered in Endsleigh Gardens in 1879.|