BHO

Description of plates

Pages ix-xv

Survey of London: Volume 22, Bankside (The Parishes of St. Saviour and Christchurch Southwark). Originally published by London County Council, London, 1950.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.

Citation:

DESCRIPTION OF THE PLATES (fn. n1)

Frontispiece. London Bridge and part of Borough High Street in 1616 From Visscher's view of London, reproduced by the London Topographical Society.
Plate
Key plan
1. Plan of Southwark, circa 1618 From a plan in the Record Office of the City Corporation.
2. Part of Rocque's map, 1761 From the Council's collection.
3. "A Plott of the Counter Prison, the Kings Armes Tavern and other buildings," 1686 From a plan made by William Capell, in the Record Office of the City Corporation.
4. Formation of the southern approach to new London Bridge, July, 1830 From a lithograph in the Council's collection.
5. The tomb of John Gower, Southwark Cathedral Photograph in the possession of the National Buildings Record.
6. The memorial to William Emerson, Southwark Cathedral Photograph by F. Hyde.
7. The tomb of Lancelot Andrewes, Southwark Cathedral Photograph in the possession of the National Buildings Record.
8. Plan of Borough High Street, circa 1542 From a plan in the Public Record Office.
9. (a) Extract from Horwood's Map, 1819;
(b) Plan of Borough High Street area based on 1875 Ordnance Survey
10. Plan of the College Almshouse estate, 1814 From a survey by George Gwilt, in the possession of the Corporation of Wardens of St. Saviour.
11. (a) The market in Borough High Street, circa 1750 From R. Bradley's Riches of a Hop Garden, in the Guildhall Library.
(b) The Borough Market House, 1810 From a sketch in the Council's collection.
12. (a) Fishmonger Alley, looking towards Red Cross Street From a sepia watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Guildhall Library.
(b) No. 4 Green Dragon Court. Shop front Photograph by Edward Yates, F.S.A.
13. (a) "View of the town-hall, St. Margaret's Hill", prior to 1793 From Wilkinson's Londina Illustrata.
(b) The town hall, St. Margaret's Hill, circa 1850 From a watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd, in the Council's collection.
14. (a) The Canterbury Pilgrims setting out from the Tabard Inn From Urry's edition of Chaucer's works, published in 1721.
(b) The Tabard Inn, circa 1850 From a watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd, in the Council's collection.
15. (a) King's Head public house, Borough High Street. Bust of King Henry VIII, 1943 Photograph.
(b) The inner yard of the King's Head public house, Borough High Street, 1880 Photograph by the Society for Photographing Relics of old London.
16. The George Inn, interior of saloon bar, 1947 Photograph, copyright London News Agency.
17. The George Inn, 1880 Photograph by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London.
18. The George Inn, north and south elevations Measured drawings by F. A. Evans.
19. The George Inn. Staircase and external details Measured drawings by F. A. Evans.
20. (a) The inn yard of the old White Hart, 1882 From an etching by Percy Thomas, in the Council's collection.
(b) Back of the Queen's Head Inn, 1888 From a watercolour drawing by Appleton, in the Council's collection.
21. (a) The Grapes public-house, No. 2 St. Thomas Street, 1943 Photograph.
(b) No. 83 Borough High Street, 1948 Sketch of staircase by F. A. Evans.
22. No. 91 Borough High Street. Details of staircase Measured drawing by R. G. Absolon.
23. No. 91 Borough High Street. Details of niche cupboard on first floor Measured drawing by R. G. Absolon.
24. (a) Nos. 38–52 Borough High Street, 1943 Photograph.
(b) Calvert's Buildings, No. 50 Borough High Street, 1908 Photograph.
25. No. 52 Borough High Street. Mantelpiece on first floor Measured drawing by F. A. Evans.
26. (a) The King's Arms public-house, Newcomen Street, 1828 From a sepia watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Council's collection.
(b) Coat of arms on the King's Arms publichouse, Newcomen Street Photograph.
27. Guy's Hospital Ground plan.
28. Guy's statue in the hospital courtyard Photograph.
29. Guy's Hospital. Central block of front courtyard Photograph.
30. Guy's Hospital. Entrance gates from St. Thomas Street, 1934 Photograph.
31. Portrait of Thomas Guy from the court room of the hospital Photograph.
32. (a) Guy's Hospital. North-west wing of front courtyard Photograph.
(b) Guy's Hospital. West quadrangle of the inner courtyard looking west, 1948 Photograph.
33. (a) Guy's Hospital. Thomas Guy's chest Photograph.
(b) Guy's Hospital. The court room (formerly the Martha Ward), 1948 Photograph.
34. Guy's Hospital. Elevation to St. Thomas Street, section through central block and elevation of west wing Measured drawings by Evelyn Prior.
35. Guy's Hospital. Interior of chapel Photograph by F. Hyde.
36. Guy's Hospital. Details of chapel Measured drawings by Evelyn Prior.
37. Guy's Hospital. Monument in chapel Photograph.
38. (a) The Feathers, Winchester Yard, 1890 From a watercolour drawing by Appleton, in the Council's collection.
(b) Old houses in Clink Street, 1888 From a watercolour drawing by Appleton, in the Council's collection.
39. Entrance to Montague Close, "Gateway of St.Mary's Priory, Southwark", 1811 From Wilkinson's Londina Illustrata.
40. (a) Montague Close. "A North-west View of the House of William Parker, Lord Monteagle", 1825 From Wilkinson's Londina Illustrata.
(b) Old houses adjoining Saint Saviour's Dock, 1827 From a sepia watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Guildhall Library.
41. "North View of Queen Elizabeth's Free Grammar School, St. Saviour's, Southwark", 1815 From Wilkinson's Londina Illustrata.
42. (a) The Governors' Court Room, St. Saviour's Grammar School, 1826 From a watercolour drawing by G. Yates, in the Guildhall Library.
(b) The schoolroom, St. Saviour's Grammar School, 1826 From a watercolour drawing by G. Yates, in the Guildhall Library.
43. Part of Hollar's View of London, 1647, showing Winchester House and Bankside From the reproduction issued by the London Topographical Society.
44.
45. (a) South view of the palace of the Bishops of Winchester From an engraving in Wilkinson's Londina Illustrata, 1812.
(b) The remains of Winchester Palace, Clink Street, circa 1800 From a sepia watercolour in the possession of the Corporation of Wardens.
46. Winchester Palace after the fire of 1814 From an etching by J. Le Rous, in Beauties of Britain, 1828.
47. Remains of Winchester House. Details, 1943 Measured drawings by F. H. Healey.
48. Remains of Winchester House. Plans, 1943 Measured drawings by F. H. Healey.
49. The Bishop of Winchester's House, (a) Top of doorway on the south side of the great hall; (b) Elevations of doorway on the south side of the great hall. 1884 From drawings by F. T. Dollman, in the Guildhall Library.
50. The Bishop of Winchester's House. Perspective view of great hall looking west From a drawing by F. T. Dollman, in the Guildhall Library.
51. (a) Remains of Winchester House, 1943. Eastern face of the upper portion of the rose window on fourth floor of warehouse; (b) Part of old rubble wall in warehouse wall after the demolition of the arch over Stoney Street Photographs.
52. The Bishop of Winchester's House. Rose window From a drawing by F. T. Dollman, in the Guildhall Library.
53. The Bishop of Winchester's House. Details. 1884 From measured drawings by F. T. Dollman, in the Guildhall Library.
54. (a) Old houses on Bankside, 1827 From a sepia watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Guildhall Library.
(b) Nos. 50–52 Bankside, 1940 Photograph.
55. (a) The Anchor public-house, No. 1 Bankside, 1948; (b) No. 49 Bankside, The Cardinal's Cap, 1946 Photographs.
56. Honduras Wharf, No. 74 Bankside. (a) Doorway; (b) Staircase Photographs.
57. (a) Old houses in Maid Lane (now Park Street), circa 1820 From a watercolour drawing by G. Shepherd, in the Council's collection.
(b) Old houses in Castle Street From a sepia watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Guildhall Library.
58. Colour mill built out of the remains of Skelton's meeting house, on the south side of Maid Lane (now Park Street), 1812 From watercolour drawings by G. Shepherd, in the Council's collection.
59. Plan of Bankside, showing the Bishop of Winchester's property and the sites of the Elizabethan playhouses, inns, etc. Based on the Ordnance Survey.
60. (a) House of John Perkins, previously of Henry Thrale, in Park Street, just prior to its demolition in 1833 From a drawing in the Guildhall Library.
(b) Nos. 22–26 Park Street, 1946 Photograph.
61. Plan of the Anchor Brewhouse situate in Park Street, Southwark, 1792 From the original map by G. Gwilt, junr., in the possession of Messrs. Barclay Perkins.
62. (a) No. 18 Union Street, 1890 From a watercolour drawing by Appleton, in the Council's collection.
(b) Anchor Terrace, Nos. 1–15 Southwark Bridge Road, 1946 Photograph.
63. (a) Nos. 59 and 61 Union Street. Doors to room on first floor; (b) Nos. 59 and 61 Union Street. Malting shed at rear, 1949 Photographs.
64. (a) Zoar Street, 1912 Photograph.
(b) The schoolroom under the Zoar Street meeting house From an engraving published by Wilkinson in 1822.
65. "A Mapp of the Mannor or Lordship of Old Paris Garden Surveyed 1627" From the original plan in the possession of the trustees of Christ Church Parochial School.
66. Parish of Christchurch, Surrey, surveyed by H. Gardner, 1821 From a map published by Wilkinson in 1821, in the Council's collection.
67. (a) Christ Church exterior, April, 1941;
(b) Christ Church watch house, 1932 Photographs.
68. (a) Christ Church. Old pulpit From a drawing belonging to Marshall's Charity.
(b) Christ Church interior, 1825 From a watercolour drawing by G. Yates belonging to Marshall's Charity.
69. Christ Church. West and east elevations Measured drawings (part reconstruction) by F. A. Evans.
70. Christ Church. South elevation Measured drawing (part reconstruction) by F. A. Evans.
71. Christ Church. Section with inset drawings of the church after bomb damage Measured drawing (part reconstruction) by F. A. Evans.
72. Colombo Street (formerly Collingwood Street), 1906 Watercolour drawing by E. A. Phipson, from the Council's collection.
73. (a) Hopton's Almshouses, circa 1850 From a watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd, in the Council's collection.
(b) Hopton's Almshouses, 1934 Photograph.
74. Hopton's Almshouses. Ground plan Drawn by R. G. Absolon.
75. Hopton's Almshouses. Elevations. Drawings by R. G. Absolon.
76. Hopton's Almshouses. Details of the Trustees' Committee Room Measured drawings by F. H. Healey.
77. Hopton's Almshouses. Living room Sketch by R. G. Absolon.
78. (a) No. 61 Hopton Street, 1949 Photograph by F. Hyde.
(b) No. 61 Hopton Street. Elevations and plans Measured drawings.
79. (a) Nos. 12–14 Boddy's Bridge, Upper Ground, 1947; (b) No. 26 Upper Ground, 1947 Photographs.
80. (a) Falcon Glassworks near Bankside (Green & Pellatts), 1827 From a watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Guildhall Library.
(b) Queen's Arms Court, Upper Ground, 1825 From a watercolour drawing by G. Yates, in the Council's collection.
81. (a) The British Plate Glass Warehouse (with the Surrey Institution and Christchurch in the background), circa 1800 From an aquatint in the Council's collection.
(b) Surrey Institution, 1809 From an aquatint in Ackermann's Microcosm of London.
82. No. 7 Blackfriars Road, 1947 Photograph.
83. No. 74 Blackfriars Road. Elevation Measured drawing by R. G. Absolon.
84. (a) Nos. 75–78 Blackfriars Road, 1947;
(b) Nos. 134–139 Blackfriars Road, 1946 Photographs.
85. (a) Surrey Chapel Exterior, 1798 From an engraving by Wilkinson, in the Council's collection.
(b) Surrey Chapel Interior, 1812 From an aquatint published by Ackermann, in the Council's collection.
86. The sign of the Dog and Pot, No. 196 Blackfriars Road, 1908 Photograph.
87. (a) No. 174A Blackfriars Road. Entrance. 1946 Photograph.
(b) No. 187 Blackfriars Road. Entrance. 1949 Measured drawing by F. H. Healey.
88. Nos. 48, 38 and 30 Stamford Street. Elevations Measured drawings by R.G. Absolon.
89. (a) Unitarian Chapel, Stamford Street, 1949 Photograph by F. Hyde.
(b) No. 18 Stamford Street, 1904 Photograph.
90. Nelson Square. Elevations of north, east and south sides Measured drawings by P. G. Vincent.
91. Balcony railings in Nelson Square Measured drawings by F. A. Evans.
92. (a) Nelson Square, east side, 1940; (b) Nos. 2–9 Dolben Street, 1946 Photographs.

Footnotes

  • n1. Unless otherwise stated the photographs are the copyright of the London County Council.