Survey of London: Volume 22, Bankside (The Parishes of St. Saviour and Christchurch Southwark). Originally published by London County Council, London, 1950.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
CHAPTER 10: STONEY STREET
As described in Chapter 6, the northern end of Stoney Street was formed by Thomas Walker during the Commonwealth period across the garden of Winchester House. The southern end (formerly known as Counter Street) was probably a public thoroughfare from a much earlier date, since it served as a means of approach to the "Park Gate" and the New Churchyard, etc. (see Plate 2). Several old houses existed in Stoney Street up to the end of the 19th century, as, for example, the Feathers (Plate 38a) and the Wheatsheaf (burnt down circa 1890 and subsequently rebuilt).
No. 5 (formerly No. 17 Counter Street)
This is the only old house left in Stoney Street. It was built early in the 18th century and is a three-storey brick building with red brick dressings and a dormer window in the roof behind the parapet. Above the first and second floor windows are plain brick string courses. The three window openings on both the first and second floors have gauged brick segmental arches with flush frames to the double-hung sashes. A modern shop extends across the whole width of the ground floor.
No. 17 Counter Street (formerly the New Rents) can be traced back in the ratebooks and directories to 1770, when it was in the tenure of Foster Greenwell, brandy and hop merchant. His firm were in occupation until 1793. Subsequent tenants have been: 1805–12, Thomas Careless, corn dealer; 1813–14, John Rusby; 1815–31, George Nutman, corn and seed factor; 1808–32, Joseph Humpleby & Son, plumbers and glaziers; 1833–42, Thomas Craike, potato salesman; 1843, Thos. Binden, salesman; 1844–45, Wm. Henry Biden, potato salesman; 1847–91, Kedgley & Thorogood, potato salesmen; 1892–1916, Emanuel Levy & Co., fruit salesman; 1917 to date, Samuel E. Bates, Ltd., fruit salesmen.
In 1807 the owner of the premises was a Mr. Hammond. It was owned subsequently by John Griffith Mansford. It was sold in 1872 after Mansford's death to Benjamin Kedgley and since then has been owned by the occupiers. The property has recently been purchased by the Borough Market Trustees. (fn. 185)