Survey of London: Volume 23, Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1951.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
CHAPTER 29 - PRATT WALK, FORMERLY PRATT STREET
A house at the corner of Pratt Walk and Lambeth Road formerly bore a tablet inscribed “Pratt Street, 1775.” (fn. 1) The street was laid out on copyhold land (fn. n1) held by Sir Joseph Mawbey, Bart., and named after his wife's and his mother's family. (fn. n2) Of the original houses only Nos. 4–8 (consec.) now remain.
The doorway to No. 5 has a plain panelled wood surround and flat hood, while those to Nos. 6 and 7 are similar, though their hoods are set forward and have fluted friezes. No. 8 has an open pedimented doorcase with a key-block above the semi-circular fanlight. Nos. 9–12 form a more humble terrace one storey less in height; like Nos. 4–8, they have plain parapets and copings.