Survey of London: Volume 36, Covent Garden. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1970.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Mart Street was laid out in 1932–3 by Covent Garden Properties Company Limited, to which the market and part of the Bedford estate, including the Opera House, had then passed (see page 52). It extends across the site of the Tavistock Hotel in the Piazza and the old scenedock of the Royal Opera House in Floral Street. The architects were Messrs. Hood and Huggins. (fn. 1)