Survey of London: Volume 36, Covent Garden. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1970.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Site of No. 4 Henrietta Street
The first house here, which originally abutted upon the west side of Bedford House garden, overlooked but was not designed as part of the Piazza. It was one of two houses built in 1631–4 under a lease granted by the fourth Earl to Sir Humphrey Foster. (fn. 1) No subsequent rebuilding lease has been found before that granted for the present house in 1781 (see page 232), although it is clear from Plate 29b that the house had been either refaced or rebuilt before this—probably in c. 1730 when most of the south side of Henrietta Street was rebuilt.