Survey of London: Volume 4, Chelsea, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XCV.—No. 16, CHURCH STREET.
On the street front of this house is fixed a cast-iron sign which was dug up in the back garden during the rebuilding of the premises. Mr. Philip Norman (fn. 1) describes it as follows: "The design is like that of a 17th-century fire-back, and represents a cock vigorously attempting to swallow a snake, which he has seized by the tail; a second snake on the ground behind him rears its head as if to strike. Above is the date 1652."
In 1874, he adds, a sign was dug up in the foundation of Messrs. Smith, Payne and Smith's Bank, No. 1, Lombard Street, which appears to have been cast from the same mould. The sign is fixed behind a small crane, which renders it almost invisible.