Survey of London: Volume 4, Chelsea, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
CXXII.—WROUGHT IRON GATE, TRAFALGAR SQUARE.
This gate, which is of good 18th-century wrought-iron work, was placed here by Lady Gilbert Kennedy, the last tenant of St. Margaret's Lodge, which stood at the south end of the Square. The house was pulled down when the site was recently bought for the extensions of the Chelsea Polytechnic. The gate, which now serves as an entrance to the grounds of the Chelsea Lawn Tennis Club, in the centre of the Square, may have come from Cheyne Walk, whence a good deal of original ironwork has been removed from houses that have been re-built.