Survey of London: Volume 4, Chelsea, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LII.—TABLET ON No. 77, CHEYNE WALK.
No. 77 is a modern house standing at the eastern corner of Danvers Street and Cheyne Walk. Faulkner (fn. 1) tells us that in 1742 it was a publichouse, called the "Bell," and had a sign suspended across the street. A stone inscribed with the words:—
begun in ye year
was preserved and built into the new wall. It is now set in a panel architecturally treated with a frame surmounted by a pediment, on brackets, and bears the later inscription beneath:
THIS HOUSE REBUILT BY
In the Council's ms. collection are:—
No. 77, Cheyne Walk (photograph).