Survey of London: Volume 4, Chelsea, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
CXXXIV.—BOX FARM, Nos. 148 and 150, KING'S ROAD (Demolished.)
This farmhouse, which stood at the western corner of Markham
Street on the north side of the King's Road, was pulled down in 1900. It
had been divided into two houses, and at the same time refronted in the
first half of the 19th century. (fn. 1) A date stone, however, bearing the following
inscription was re-built into the new wall:—
The interior of the house was of very old-fashioned character, and from the exterior towards the garden, which had not been refronted, it is probable that the fabric of the house dated from the 17th century. From before the division of the building and until its demolition, the Farm was in the possession of a family named Evans, who may, perhaps, have been a branch of the Evans of Evans' Farm (identified by Mr. Randall Davies (fn. 2) with the Cremorne Estate) who enjoyed right of common ever since Thomas Evans obtained a lease from the Crown in the 29th year of Elizabeth. Box Farm itself seems to have stood upon a plot marked 4 acres 3–24 on Hamilton's map, and the present Markham Square stands on the site of the orchard. The Evans family would not appear to have been in possession in 1686, judging from the initials H.I.A. on the stone.
When the house was taken down, a certain number of the fittings, etc., were preserved, and the date stone, together with a chimney-piece of Adam's design is in the possession of Miss Isabelle M. Evans, of Chelsea. A drawing of the House occurs in The "Chelsea Mail" Annual for 1900, and Miss Evans has a photograph of the garden front, a copy of which is preserved among the Chelsea Miscellany at the Chelsea Public Library.
The last owner was Mr. Pullam Markham Evans, who died at No. 25, Cheyne Walk on November 20th, 1902.
Old prints, views, etc.
(fn. 3) Water colour drawing of garden front, by Philip Norman.
Drawing in The "Chelsea Mail" Annual for 1900.
In the Council's ms. collection are:—
Two photographs of house during demolition.