BHO

Montpelier Square Area

Page 107

Survey of London: Volume 45, Knightsbridge. Originally published by London County Council, London, 2000.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Table of contents

CHAPTER VI

Montpelier Square Area

The square and adjacent streets known collectively as 'the Montpeliers' (fig. 36) were laid out in the mid-1820s, but they were not fully developed until the 1850s and the corresponding range of stylistic treatments of the buildings is a particular feature of the area. Phases of social change, as fashionable newcomers took over run-down or unmodernized properties, are reflected in later alterations – late Victorian and Edwardian in Montpelier Square, 1920s and '30s in the small houses and cottages of the side streets. The most notable building erected here since the nineteenth century is the German Christuskirche of 1904, a distinguished example of late Gothic Revival architecture.