Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XLVII.–XLVIII.—Nos. 24 and 32, BETTERTON STREET.
General description and date of structure.
No. 24, Betterton Street, dating from the 18th century, must at one time have been a fine residence, but there is now nothing in it to record. The doorcase is illustrated on Plate 35.
No. 32 also dates from the 18th century. Attached to these premises is a boldly recessed carved wooden doorcase of interesting design, illustrated on Plate 36. The interior of the house contains a wood and compo chimney piece of some interest in the front room of the ground floor, and one of white marble, relieved with a little carving and red stone inlay, in the corresponding room on the floor above.
Condition of repair.
The houses are in fair repair.
The sewer ratebook for 1718 shows "John Bannister" in occupation of No, 32. This was probably John Bannister, the younger, "who came from an old St. Giles's family, his father having been a musician, composer and violinist, and his grandfather one of the parish waits. He himself was in the royal band during the reigns of Charles II., James II., William and Mary, and Anne, and played first violin at Drury Lane theatre, when Italian operas were first introduced into England." (fn. 1)
In the Council's collection are:—
No. 24, Betterton Street—General exterior (photograph).
(fn. 2) No. 24, Betterton Street—Entrance doorway (measured drawing).
(fn. 2) No. 32, Betterton Street—Entrance doorway (photograph).
No. 32, Betterton Street—Marble chimney-piece, front room, first floor (photograph).