Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LV.—LVII.—Nos. 14 to 16, NEW COMPTON STREET.
General description and date of structure.
The laying out of Stidwell Street on the pasture ground formerly appertaining to the Hospital has already been referred to. (fn. 1)
In 1775–6, concurrently with the rebuilding of a great many of the houses, the name of the street was changed to New Compton Street, and the thoroughfare was at the same time extended over what had formerly been known as Kendricke's Yard.
In common with many other houses, Nos. 14 to 16, New Compton Street seem, from the evidence of the rate books, to have been rebuilt in 1776, and it is not possible to equate them with any premises existing before that date.
Plate 42 shows three interesting 18th-century shop fronts. Nos. 14 and 15 have unfortunately lost the original bow glazing, the outline of which is indicated by the fascias. No. 16 still retains its original square bay windows.
Condition of repair.
The Council's collection contains:—
(fn. 2) Nos. 14 to 16, New Compton Street. Shop fronts (photograph).
No. 6, New Compton Street. Shop front (photograph).