Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LXXI.—NO. 9, BEDFORD SQUARE. (fn. 1)
Ground landlord and lessee.
General description and date of structure.
On 20th November, 1777, a lease (fn. 2) was granted, as from Michaelmas, 1775, of "all that parcel of ground, with the messuage thereon erected on the east side of Bedford Square … being the second house southward from the opening opposite Bedford Street [Bayley Street]." The house was obviously No. 9, which first appears in the parish ratebooks for the year 1779.
The ground floor front room has a white marble chimneypiece inlaid with coloured marble, over which, on the chimney breast, is an oval plaque with a figure subject (Plate 72) and ornamental plaster decorations.
The two rooms on the first floor have finely ornamented ceilings, that in the front room being illustrated in Plate 73. The chimneypieces are chiefly of white marble, the one in the front room having Ionic capitals and coloured marble shafts, while that in the rear room is inlaid with coloured marble, and has a sculptured panel in the frieze.
Condition of repair.
In the Council's collection are.
(fn. 3)Chimneypiece in front room on ground floor (plaque and frieze reproduced)
(fn. 3)Plaque over door and frieze in front room on ground floor (photograph).
(fn. 3)Plaque on chimney-breast and frieze in rear room on ground floor (photograph).
Alto relievo over entrance to drawing room (photograph).
Marble chimneypiece in rear room on first floor (photograph).
(fn. 3)Ornamental plaster ceiling in front room on first floor (photograph).
Ornamental plaster ceiling in rear room on first floor (photograph).