No. 15, Bedford Square

Page 165

Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.


In this section


Ground landlord and lessee.

Ground landlord, His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G,; lesses, the Associate Board of the Royal Academy of Music and the Royal College of Music for Local Examinations in Music.

General description and date of structure.

The front doorway (Plate 80), with its decorative leadwork fanlight, is a typical example of the majority in the square.

The first floor front room has an ornamental plaster ceiling, somewhat similar to others already noticed. There is an interesting plaster cornice in the rear room of the same floor, and a carved marble chimney piece on the second floor.

Condition of repair.

The premises are in good repair.

Biographical notes.

The occupants of this house, according to the ratebooks, were as follows:—

1780–81. —Pole.
1784–90. John Cologan.
1790–94. Jno. Stephenson.
1794–95. Mrs. Stephenson.
1795–98. Robt. Tubbs.
1798–. Jas. Williams.

In the Council's collection are:—

(fn. 1) Entrance doorway (photograph).
Ornamental plaster ceiling in front room on first floor (photograph).
Marble chimney-piece in front room on second floor (photograph).


  • 1. Reproduced here.