Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LXXVIII.—No. 23, BEDFORD SQUARE.
His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G.
General description and date of structure.
This house was not in existence on 20th November, 1777, (fn. 1) and the first mention of it in the parish ratebooks occurs in 1781. Few of the decorations in the house are original, the two principal exceptions being the plaster ceiling of the front room on the first floor, and a fine doorcase and pair of doors (Plate 82), connecting that room with the one in the rear.
Condition of repair.
The premises are in good repiar.
In 1781 "Jas. Bailey" is shown as the occupier of the house. For the next few years no name is given, but in 1785 that of Thomas Burn appears and continues for the remainder of the century.
In the Council's collection is:—
(fn. 2) No. 23, Bedford Square. Doors and doorcase in front room on ground floor
No. 24, Bedford Square. Entrance doorway (photograph).