Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LXXX.—No. 28, BEDFORD SQUARE.
Ground landlord and lessee.
General description and date of structure.
On 1st November, 1776, a lease was granted (fn. 1) of a messuage at the west end of Bedford Square, "on the south side of a new street called Bedford Street" (now Bayley Street), having a frontage to the square of 28¾ feet, and a depth of about 143 feet. The premises referred to are obviously No. 28, the northernmost house of the west block. The house has been greatly altered, and partly rebuilt. It retains in the ground floor front room the original white marble chimneypiece shown on Plate 86, with a sculptured panel in the frieze, which is also shown to a larger scale.
The front room on the first floor contains a decorative plaster ceiling, and a carved wood and composition chimneypiece, which, though in keeping with the style of the room, is probably not contemporary with the erection of the house.
Condition of repair.
The Council's collection Contains:—
(fn. 2) Marble chimneypiece in front room on ground floor (photograph).
(fn. 2) Detail of central panel of marble chimney-piece in front room on ground floor (photograph).
Wood chimneypiece in front room on first floor (photograph).