Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LXXXI.—No. 30, BEDFORD SQUARE.
Ground landlord and lessee.
General description and date of structure.
On 1st November, 1776, a lease was granted (fn. 1) as from Michaelmas, 1775, of "all that parcel of ground, with a messuage thereon, on the west side of Bedford Square, being the third house southward from Bedford Street," now Bayley Street.
The front room on the first floor has its walls treated as large panels, and over the two doors are decorative paintings. The chimney piece is of white marble, and the flutings of the pilasters are inlaid with coloured marble. The ornamental plaster ceiling (Plate 87) is of very delicate design. The figures in the oval medallion are modelled on classical lines, and in their delicacy are suggestive of cameos.
Condition of repair.
|1779–93.||Robt. Cooper Lee.|
The Council's collection contains:—
(fn. 2) Ornamental plaster ceiling in front room on first floor (photograph).