Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XLV.—THE WINDSOR CASTLE, No. 134 KING STREET
This late Georgian building of three storeys stands back from the road, about half-way between Waterloo Street and Holcombe Street, but on the opposite side. It has an ample courtyard in front, and a long, low building of earlier character, with pantile roof, bounds the open space on the west.
The Windsor Castle (though probably not the present house) was in existence in 1753, when it was leased by Jonas Benjamin for twenty-one years, as we learn from a mortgage dated 1765. (fn. 1) At the latter date it was in the occupation of James Beech, vintner, his predecessors being Montague Grover, Robert Moore and Henry West. An entry in the Fulham Court Rolls under date 6th April, 1790, records that "Anthony Newman surrenders the Windsor Castle, which was built on part of 4 acres of land in Great Bradmore, 2 acres of the same land being enclosed as a field." In 1800 Newman surrenders to Joseph Cromwell. Faulkner (fn. 2) records a serious fire here in 1823.