Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XLVI.—THE WHITE BEAR, 100 KING STREET
This little tavern was apparently at one time part of a larger house, and the drawing by J. T. Wilson in 1869 (Plate 106) shows us the whole building with some cottages west of it. The front wall on the first floor is still plastered, and beneath the eaves of the tiled roof shows the old blocked cornice. The modern public-house shop-front takes away from the old character, but the structure remains to show the proportions of the older houses that lined King Street. The white bear on the sign seems to have undergone a considerable change in the process of repainting since its delineation by Wilson.
Old prints, drawings, etc.
(fn. 1) Water-colour drawing by J. T. Wilson (1869) preserved in the Coates Collection.
In the Council's ms. collection are:
(fn. 1) View from King Street (photograph).
Three other views (photographs).