Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XLVII.—THE GEORGE, BROADWAY (Demolished)
This inn has now been demolished. It was, despite a modernised front, an ancient building with two parallel tiled roofs. Originally it was called the White Horse, as appears from the entries in the Court Rolls. On 17th April, 1775, John Scott (fn. 1) surrenders "The White Horse now called the George in the Town Street and the adjoining building." Montague Grover was admitted and held the property until 1779, and in his surrender a passage "reserved as a highway" is mentioned under the next building (to the east), and this still exists. When the Sussex Arms, a modern building on the west of the George, was demolished, the twin gables of the latter were disclosed.
The George Inn was subject to an annual charge of 30s., left by will to the poor by Nicholas Dauncer in 1656, and of 10s. for an annual sermon, "to be paid out of the profits of the house in Hammersmith called by the name of the White Horse." (fn. 2)