Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XLIX.—WEST COTTAGE, BROOK GREEN (Demolished)
Brook (fn. 1) Green—a pleasant open space surrounded by houses—which has, happily, not lost its identity and has retained something of its old-time character, in spite of the changed neighbourhood around it, connects the Hammersmith Road with the thoroughfare leading from Broadway to Shepherd's Bush. On the west and shortest side of the triangular green stood West Cottage, which has recently given way to the London County Council School for physically defective children. The house was of early 18th or late 17th-century appearance, of two storeys, built of brick and having an old tiled roof with a chimney-stack at each end.
The interior possessed ceilings divided into compartments by moulded wooden ribs, and from these and indications in one of the rooms of diminishing pilasters to the fireplace, it may be inferred that in the house were perhaps incorporated parts of an older building dating back to the earlier part of the 17th century. An Elizabethan sideboard with turned legs and three panels carved with Scriptural subjects stood in one of the rooms.
In the Council's ms. collection are:
(fn. 2) Exterior (photograph).
Two interior views (photograph).
Old piece of furniture (photograph).