Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
VI.—Nos. 65 to 79 QUEEN STREET
This row of cottages is characteristic of the old appearance of Queen Street, which was evidently the ancient thoroughfare down to the river, occupying somewhat the same relative position in the parish as Queen's Road West (otherwise Paradise Row, or Royal Hospital Road) in Chelsea. The buildings probably date back to the 17th century. They are of warmcoloured brick, two storeys high, with rooms within the old tiled roof, lighted by a row of pleasant dormer windows. No. 79 has a higher roof than the others, approximating to the Mansard form with hipped ends. The windows throughout are wood casements arranged in two lights with wooden bars, excepting some small single-light casements on the first floor, which retain their old lead glazing. In one opening a sash window has been inserted.
Condition of repair.
In the Council's ms. collection are:
(fn. 1) View of cottages from the south.