Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XIII.—Nos. 11 and 12 LOWER MALL
The property is freehold, belonging to Miss Julia King-Salter.
These two cottages of brick and tile date back certainly to the early part of the 17th century. They have been altered somewhat, as regards their windows and internal fittings, but they remain substantially as they were built. The passage under the west end has an early moulded lintel of oak. The cottages are of two storeys separated by a band of brickwork, the eaves showing the projecting ends of the attic floor joists. The roof has two dormer windows.
Condition of repair.
The description of the cottages in the Court Rolls of the Manor is: "two tenements and foreyards near the river formerly in the tenure of Anthony and Thomas Price." The earliest admission that has been traced is that of John Maple in 1719. They passed from the Maple family in 1774 to William Cowden. Soon after, as we have seen, they are found in the possession of the owners of Kent House, and have since remained part of that property. The group of cottages in this portion of the Lower Mall was long known as Little Wapping. (fn. 1)
In the Council's ms. collection is:
(fn. 2) View of south front (photograph).